The case for keeping Paris Lenon...

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The case for keeping Paris Lenon starts with the case for keeping Roy Manning & Brady Poppinga...

Roy Manning has played like a guy with a future and the attitude that you love to see LB possess. His only downside is he is still raw - a one season starter Michigan - and despite delivering big hits and potential for big plays he is out of position far too often. This is all correctable by coaching and I believe the kid has earned a spot.

Brady Poppinga was drafted on potential and everyone knew he would take time in developing in his conversion to LB. Sadly he did not help his cause by being injured, but he showed pop and range last night and probably has too much potential to let go of.

Keeping the two rookies intensifies the need to have Veteran depth, which brings us to Paris

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Paris Lenon is a LB who hangs on every year despite being written off each season. At 6-2 245 lbs he makes the most of what God has given him. He is a warrior who out works the competition. He is the last to leave the workout room and the last to leave film studies. Because of his dedication, he can play all three LB positions, which adds to his value. And to list him only as a MLB is a misrepresentation of his spot on the depth charts where he is a first line back up. He is also a premium special teams player -- among the team leaders each season and posting the 4th best total in Packer history. When he was called upon to start against Detroit for example, he responded with 10 tackles. I know we want all of our backups to be potential All Pros, but realistically Paris Lenon is the kind of Veteran leader who pays back way more than the value of his contract every day.

You have to respect what Paris has to say -- "What motivates me is going out there and playing football," Lenon explained. "I just love playing football."

A dark horse to steal the vet backup spot is Corey Jenkins -- upside is he is fast and a player; downside is he is 6-0 222 lbs. The bio I have on him has him listed as 29 yrs old, which means he has limited upside despite only having 3 yrs of NFL playing experience.

This is how I read it, what about others.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as far as lenon, I've been really impressed with his pass coverage...he's on the opponents like glue, knows when to throw up his hands, how to break up a pass (did a fine job of breaking up a TD pass to TN's FB yesterday) and has been an adequate tackler from what I could tell.

His run defense...I haven't paid much attention to, but on the other hands, the lbs have struggled since the DTs haven't been taking up bodies, or have been blown backwards into the lbs.

My vote is keep him!

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't see the game, but it sounds as though he played his way onto the team. We need people flying around and making tackles.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Reaction score
Hey Bruce and JBlood, nice to hear from you two! I like Manning alot, and Lenon has grown on me. They have both earned the right to be on the roster come opening day. The thing about Poppinga is I really want to see him tried at least at DE because he played that for 2 years before being made a LB. He has speed, non-stop motor that could help our pass rush. But I trust the coaches, and I think the odd man out is Jenkins at LB seeing his age and size.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Check this --- all it took was getting Navies outta the way? Good question... isn't it?

Hannibal kept getting the call over this guy and no one could really tell why...
Now, with Bates stepping in - we're finding out that Paris should have been the guy all along.. I like his moxie.

As far as Poppinga is concerned - He was having some trouble (along with Barnett) in getting literally THROWN off their coverages.. on one play Barnett was thrown outta the way opening up a huge hole that no one could regroup to black... the Titan Player simply picked him up and threw him off to the side...

As much as their missing at this point? They are also getting an equal amount right.
So, Bates must be getting to these guys..... I think it's starting to sink in!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Lenon played his way onto the starting lineup.

till diggs gets back.

I agree. Na'il, Barnett, and Thompson/Manning will battle it out for the third spot. I can see Manning starting at some point this season. I can't believe he went undrafted. He looks really good out there so I hope he gets a shot!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts