The Amari Rodgers Thread

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Signed to PS, no sign of plan for elevation as of now.
Well, at least Gluten is doing something that could help the return game. At this point in the season, most if not all of the available talent are on a roster or PS. It's a shot in the dark to pull someone in off the street.

I just hope Amari Rodgers can hold serve - meaning make no mistakes - until a better returner can be found. Or take a chance and let Watson return punts. Although with his hands, that's probably too risky.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, at least Gluten is doing something that could help the return game. At this point in the season, most if not all of the available talent are on a roster or PS. It's a shot in the dark to pull someone in off the street.

I just hope Amari Rodgers can hold serve - meaning make no mistakes - until a better returner can be found. Or take a chance and let Watson return punts. Although with his hands, that's probably too risky.

Corey would appear to be that better return man, BUT I think if Ballentine is elevated it is purely for returning which means Amari will be gone - Corey is TERRIBLE in coverage over his years and is honestly a deep depth type most likely only in emergency type use. I am sure his signing got Amari and Amari's agent's eye though for sure.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Corey would appear to be that better return man, BUT I think if Ballentine is elevated it is purely for returning which means Amari will be gone - Corey is TERRIBLE in coverage over his years and is honestly a deep depth type most likely only in emergency type use. I am sure his signing got Amari and Amari's agent's eye though for sure.
Thanks for the additional info on Ballentine. Well, Amari R is taking up a roster spot as a returner. He's taken virtually no snaps on O. So if they decide to cut Rodgers, there's a backup plan. That's smart and to your point, puts Rodgers and his agent on notice. Nothing wrong with a little subtle motivation.......

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Pro Football Reference, Ballentine has actually never returned a punt...

He has however returned 35 kickoffs at an average of 24.4 yards per return, career. By comparison Amari has returned 13 kickoffs at an average of 18.2 yards per return.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Pro Football Reference, Ballentine has actually never returned a punt...

He has however returned 35 kickoffs at an average of 24.4 yards per return, career. By comparison Amari has returned 13 kickoffs at an average of 18.2 yards per return.
That's interesting. The real need for a returner is on punts. But if he's never done it before........ That's risky but probably not more than the current situation.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Correct he is a kickoff returner.

Reaction score
He's 13th after 3 games. Last year for a full season he was 36th, which you don't mention. 3 is not an adequate sample size. I'm just saying, he's a below average returner who does nothing on offense.
I was repeating what someone else wrote. Reread post #199. I used the pronouns HE said “ “ I didn’t elaborate it because I didn’t write that comment to begin with so I shouldn’t have to defend it or elaborate on it.

Reread what I said in my post.
I said above HIS post was a small sample size. Thrn you responded to me saying it was a small sample size like that was some fresh idea. Very confusing. Are you taking any new prescriptions? :p

Let’s start again. The poster said Amari was currently ranked 13th (just repeating what another poster said) and while it’s only 3 games we can’t dismiss it either. 13th is NOT below average any way you swing it and I don’t care if it’s 1 game or 645 games.
I’ll just add that had Amari not had that 30 yard return reversed by a stupid referee call? He’d be one of the top PR averages in the league. Sorry but I can only judge him by the body of work he has put in and in not going to pretend Amari is still 2021 Amari. He’s markedly improved on PR but I think it was his 2021 blocking sucked and it’s better this season.

Add just another +20 yards to that average (73 yards) and he’d rank #1 in the NFL in PR average. I do agree he needs more snaps on O to validate his worth. We’re in agreement there. I noticed that Amari did have some last Sunday if you recall? but he was more a decoy imo I saw him in motion on a couple plays.

Here’s his PR placing. His long of 30 that got erased would have moved him up that leader board but such is life. He does have potential as a PR. I don’t like him in on KR we need someone with more long speed imo.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was repeating what someone else wrote. Reread post #199. I used the pronouns HE said “ “ I didn’t elaborate it because I didn’t write that comment to begin with so I shouldn’t have to defend it or elaborate on it.

Reread what I said in my post.
I said above HIS post was a small sample size. Thrn you responded to me saying it was a small sample size like that was some fresh idea. Very confusing. Are you taking any new prescriptions? :p

Let’s start again. The poster said Amari was currently ranked 13th (just repeating what another poster said) and while it’s only 3 games we can’t dismiss it either. 13th is NOT below average any way you swing it and I don’t care if it’s 1 game or 645 games.
I’ll just add that had Amari not had that 30 yard return reversed by a stupid referee call? He’d be one of the top PR averages in the league. Sorry but I can only judge him by the body of work he has put in and in not going to pretend Amari is still 2021 Amari. He’s markedly improved on PR but I think it was his 2021 blocking sucked and it’s better this season.

Add just another +20 yards to that average (73 yards) and he’d rank #1 in the NFL in PR average. I do agree he needs more snaps on O to validate his worth. We’re in agreement there. I noticed that Amari did have some last Sunday if you recall? but he was more a decoy imo I saw him in motion on a couple plays.

Here’s his PR placing. His long of 30 that got erased would have moved him up that leader board but such is life. He does have potential as a PR. I don’t like him in on KR we need someone with more long speed imo.
It's funny and sad to watch you twist yourself into knots to defend this guy. Add him to the list of others you have an odd affection for - "Jordan", "Christian", "Blake". "Jeff" and now "Amari".

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could this be a positive for Amari? We don't have a legit slot WR apart from an aging Cobb, maybe they brought him in so he can focus on the slot.

D

Deleted member 6794

Signed to PS, no sign of plan for elevation as of now.

The Packers don't need to elevate players from the practice squad until closer to game time though.

Ballentine didn't return punts in college either.

That's interesting. The real need for a returner is on punts. But if he's never done it before........ That's risky but probably not more than the current situation.

In my opinion Amari is a better punt than kickoff returner. I don't want the Packers to use a roster spot for a player solely returning kickoffs though.

I do agree he needs more snaps on O to validate his worth. We’re in agreement there. I noticed that Amari did have some last Sunday if you recall? but he was more a decoy imo I saw him in motion on a couple plays.

Amari played three snaps on offense vs. the Bucs but only one of them on a pass play.

Could this be a positive for Amari? We don't have a legit slot WR apart from an aging Cobb, maybe they brought him in so he can focus on the slot.

I don't think that's the case. I guess the Packers want an upgrade at kickoff returner.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers don't need to elevate players from the practice squad until closer to game time though.

Ballentine didn't return punts in college either.

In my opinion Amari is a better punt than kickoff returner. I don't want the Packers to use a roster spot for a player solely returning kickoffs though.

Amari played three snaps on offense vs. the Bucs but only one of them on a pass play.

I don't think that's the case. I guess the Packers want an upgrade at kickoff returner.
Yeah it's absolutely crazy to designate a roster spot for a kickoff returner. I don't get it. And agree, Rodgers is best at returning punts, but that's not saying much.......

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would think slot would be his best position, but I just don't have much confidence in him as a receiver, or a returner. He just seems way out of his depth in the NFL.

Reaction score
It's funny and sad to watch you twist yourself into knots to defend this guy. Add him to the list of others you have an odd affection for - "Jordan", "Christian", "Blake". "Jeff" and now "Amari".
To defend what guy? I just said you asked me to defend someone else’s post.
Why don’t you try going back and asking the original poster to elaborate? Instead of doubling down on some childish attempt to be provoke me. it’s such trivial attempt it really doesn’t require a dignified response. ;)

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To defend what guy? I just said you asked me to defend someone else’s post.
Why don’t you try going back and asking the original poster to elaborate? Instead of doubling down on some childish attempt to be provoke me. it’s such trivial attempt it really doesn’t require a dignified response. ;)
You missed the point. You have a habit of defending marginal players. I think it’s kinda obvious anyway.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am with you oldschool. Someone has to defend the little (or marginal) guy, not everyone can be a bandwagon jumper onner.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am with you oldschool. Someone has to defend the little (or marginal) guy, not everyone can be a bandwagon jumper onner.
Good for you Schultz. The marginal, average, and below-average players need some love too (pun intended). Not every player gets to do the Lambeau Leap.

Reaction score
You missed the point. You have a habit of defending marginal players. I think it’s kinda obvious anyway.
Maybe You see it different than I see it.
I don’t give up on a player because “the crowd” doesn’t like him. I don’t like beating up on a guy when he’s improving week too week. Some players learn at different speeds and frankly many take 3-4 years to really perform.

I don’t see the point of prematurely condemning players or relying on peers or the media hype to prematurely judge them. You might see that as a noble thing, I don’t.

Yet even if I did defend someone who maybe was undeserving? I don’t see that as a poor quality like you do. Furthermore, I wouldn’t publicly attempt to slight a fellow poster for that, like you just did to me. I might compliment (and I have) them for their acting in said player/posters defense against popular opinion, even if I held an opposing opinion.

You could say we’re just cut from a different cloth. I’ve always wanted the underdog to win, it’s in my DNA

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe You see it different than I see it.
I don’t give up on a player because “the crowd” doesn’t like him. I don’t like beating up on a guy when he’s improving week too week. Some players learn at different speeds and frankly many take 3-4 years to really perform.

I don’t see the point of prematurely condemning players or relying on peers or the media hype to prematurely judge them. You might see that as a noble thing, I don’t.

Yet even if I did defend someone who maybe was undeserving.
I definitely don’t see that as a poor quality and I wouldn’t publicly slight a fellow poster for it. I might compliment them for their acting in their defense against popular opinion
Who is condemning them? Again it seems like you have a bromance going on with these guys, some type of affection for them. I'd expect this from a family member, not an objective fan. They just aren't that good and they aren't showing improvement. Your "analysis" was full of "ifs". "Oh golly if only there hadn't been that penalty Amari would have had a really neat return."

I have news for you. There are no "ifs" in sports, no mulligans, no do-overs. The guys you have supported, all the guys you're on a first-name basis with, are average at best. I think the only one left who may have some potential is Watson - sorry, Christian - but he better get busy cause Doubs is eating his lunch.

If you want the Packers to get to a SB, guys like Love and Amari Rodgers, and Watson aren't going to get them there.

Reaction score
If you want the Packers to get to a SB, guys like Love and Amari Rodgers, and Watson aren't going to get them there.

I understand where you are going
(I must be careful as I was recently scolded by a separate poster here for saying that) I simply do not believe this is a 1 man sport. If you think Jordan Love or Amari Rodgers or Christian Watson are unable to help their team play in a Super Bowl? Then I recommend writing the Packers FO and coaching staff and file a complaint. Maybe they will be more sympathetic about your plight than I am.:tup:

PS.
By chance.. were you a Minnesota native? You remind me of my best friend Keith who grew up a Cowboys bandwagon supporting fan

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I understand where you are going (I must be careful I was recently scolded by a poster here for saying that).
I do not believe this is a 1 man sport. If you think Jordan Love or Amari Rodgers or Christian Watson are unable to help their team play in a Super Bowl? Then write the Packers FO and coaching staff and file a complaint. Maybe they will be more sympathetic about your plight than I am.
They have plenty of solid players to get them to a SB. Gluten and the rest of the FO have done outstanding work. Your suggestion to file a complaint with the FO made me laugh. This is a very good team with a few holes.

If there is one player I feel bad for (for now), it's Watson. He might have the talent to be a #1 receiver, but he already has a veteran (Lazard) and a rookie (Doubs) ahead of him. On top of that, he seems to get injured a lot. He seems kinda frail. And then there's Cobb, and Watkins (when he returns).

So Watson is going to have to use every opportunity, every target he gets and make them work. He has to do more than jet sweeps. To do that, he has to stay healthy, learn how to separate, and catch the ball. He's got a tough road ahead. But as the 35th selection, or whatever it was, he'll get the benefit of the doubt, for a while.

Reaction score
They have plenty of solid players to get them to a SB. Gluten and the rest of the FO have done outstanding work. Your suggestion to file a complaint with the FO made me laugh. This is a very good team with a few holes.

If there is one player I feel bad for (for now), it's Watson. He might have the talent to be a #1 receiver, but he already has a veteran (Lazard) and a rookie (Doubs) ahead of him. On top of that, he seems to get injured a lot. He seems kinda frail. And then there's Cobb, and Watkins (when he returns).

So Watson is going to have to use every opportunity, every target he gets and make them work. He has to do more than jet sweeps. To do that, he has to stay healthy, learn how to separate, and catch the ball. He's got a tough road ahead. But as the 35th selection, or whatever it was, he'll get the benefit of the doubt, for a while.
Sometimes what we perceive as a bad thing, is meant for good. Amari not earning trust early on this season combined with an injury to Watkins and Watson have forced our hand to look elsewhere. In doing so, we struck Romeo Gold.

What happens if Doubs or Winfree start performing and suddenly Watson starts clicking? I love it when backups get a chance and play high level because they treat it seriously. Then the starters get healthy and you’ve got a slew of options. If someone goes down later this season, we’ll have players who are confident and able to perform without hesitation.

As far as feeling sorry for Watson? I’m not in the least bit worried about Christian Watson. He didn’t go in Round 2 because he gives up at the first hint of adversity. This might have been just the motivation he needed to put nerves behind him and play like a cat on fire. I already noticed with Watson that the comments about his speed not translating by several posters are total falsehood. In limited time, He ran by CB’s like they were fixed lampposts on a jog in the park.
Now comes the easy part.. catch the ball

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes what we perceive as a bad thing, is meant for good. Amari not earning trust early on this season combined with an injury to Watkins and Watson have forced our hand to look elsewhere. In doing so, we struck Romeo Gold.

What happens if Doubs or Winfree start performing and suddenly Watson starts clicking? I love it when backups get a chance and play high level because they treat it seriously. Then the starters get healthy and you’ve got a slew of options. If someone goes down later this season, we’ll have players who are confident and able to perform without hesitation.

As far as feeling sorry for Watson? I’m not in the least bit worried about Christian Watson. He didn’t go in Round 2 because he gives up at the first hint of adversity. This might have been just the motivation he needed to put nerves behind him and play like a cat on fire. I already noticed with Watson that the comments about his speed not translating by several posters are total falsehood. In limited time, He ran by CB’s like they were fixed lampposts on a jog in the park.
Now comes the easy part.. catch the ball
Well the good news is that no one is gonna give up on Watson, a very early round 2 pick. He has to do his part of course. Speed is great, but I don't want MVS 2.0 - I wanna see a guy who can create separation and run a variety off routes. The long pass/bomb is fine and his speed will help him, but those plays are rare. He needs to be a well-rounded WR. And I hope catching the ball will be easy for him. It has to if he's gonna have a career in the NFL.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man we go round and round on this forum. It is sort of pathetic.