Terrence Murphy looks like a keeper...

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(from packerupdate)

Fans and members of the media may have been surprised when little-known Terrence Murphy was selected in the second round of last April

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the very least he's going to give Chatman a push in the kick/punt return game and for the #4 spot. The Packers have to upgrade the return game and this guy can do that right away.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps he is a diamond in the rough. Driver became a decent receiver through hard work, maybe this kid can have similar success.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only reason he was available in the second was because he played at A&M. If he played at Oklahoma, FSU, Miami or some other place where they actually throw the ball, he's a mid-first round pick. All I hear are raves about this kid from guys watching mini-camps.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
God, could you imagine if he has talent to come in right away and make, I hate to say this, but a "Randy Moss" type of impact? Throw in a healthy Fergy, and maybe, just maybe, Walker ends his holdout sooner than later. I know, I know, a lot of 'ifs' but the potential is scary for this team offensively.

BTW, I can't wait to find Sharper lined across from somebody in the slot. NO CHANCE! Put six points on the board for the Pack!

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will admit I was very disappointed on draft day when he was selected.

1) The scouts said that the draft was a good one for receivers so good ones would be available later.

2) We have good receivers but need defensive personnel.

3) This pick was not going to help the team THIS YEAR.

Good thing time has shown me a few things.

1) Rosenhaus factor

2) Neck injuries to Driver and Ferguson and as much as I hate to admit it, Driver's age.

3) Antonio Chatman's "strike zone" He's harder to hit with a pass.

4) Antonio Chatman's return abilities.

5) Since the draft had so many good receivers, we got a pretty good one for a 2nd round price.

I hope my change of opinion is not just rationalization but realization.
I wish now I had not kicked so many things and displayed a bad attitude.

I know many of you groaned when the pick was announced. Are you feeling better now like me?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just once - I'd like to see them STOP putting these rookie WR's on the Special Teams Unit. Let them avoid any EXTRA injuries... save them for that learning curve... especially with having a rejuvenated QB (Personal Trainor all summer long for the first time ever) throwing BULLETS, not just bombs at these guys - some of them may end up with broken fingers...

Let's see Murphy get the free pass for a change - see what happens.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the main reason that Murphy was selected over defensive talent was:

1 - He possessed more value than the defensive players available.

2 - Aaron Rodgers now has a receiver to grow with...who will be on the same page early so that when/if we lose a Javon Walker or a Donald Driver, the young QB has a guy who he is extremely confident in and familiar with.

Not a bad way to bring a young QB along when he will be riding bench for a couple years!

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it would be pretty darn kool to line up in a 4 wide and have all 4 recievers be a genuine threat to break a big one. Brett spreads the ball around by finding the open guy. This could be pretty exciting. So many years Brett had to play with mediocre recievers or only one good one, now it would be great to have a stable of studs for his last years. I hope this kid comes through big time.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Digs: You make a good point about Aaron Rodgers having a receiver to grow with. Maybe they can play catch after practice and think about what they might be doing for the Packers a few years down the road.

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a feeling Murphy will have a larger role than any of us would like... :-?

Hopefully the kid can continue stepping up...

I think Donald can still handle the #1, hopefully Murphy can go beyond our wildest dreams and be a solid/impact 3...Fergy's going to have to have a year in the 2. It's time.

Rosenpig is going to blackmail us with Walker and Jackson...*sighs*
Murphy is going to have to be superman and save us.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
T-Murph will contribute as long as the Packers give him the opportunity on the field. Put him on the field and let him earn Brett's trust right away.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
God, could you imagine if he has talent to come in right away and make, I hate to say this, but a "Randy Moss" type of impact? Throw in a healthy Fergy, and maybe, just maybe, Walker ends his holdout sooner than later. I know, I know, a lot of 'ifs' but the potential is scary for this team offensively.

BTW, I can't wait to find Sharper lined across from somebody in the slot. NO CHANCE! Put six points on the board for the Pack!
That is a lot of Ifs but the offense is not the problem at all. Our d is what we need. and maybe if this guy gets good we can trade him or trade Furgy or Javon for a great Defensive talent in our secondary!

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
I will admit I was very disappointed on draft day when he was selected.

1) The scouts said that the draft was a good one for receivers so good ones would be available later.

2) We have good receivers but need defensive personnel.

3) This pick was not going to help the team THIS YEAR.

Good thing time has shown me a few things.

1) Rosenhaus factor

2) Neck injuries to Driver and Ferguson and as much as I hate to admit it, Driver's age.

3) Antonio Chatman's "strike zone" He's harder to hit with a pass.

4) Antonio Chatman's return abilities.

5) Since the draft had so many good receivers, we got a pretty good one for a 2nd round price.

I hope my change of opinion is not just rationalization but realization.
I wish now I had not kicked so many things and displayed a bad attitude.

I know many of you groaned when the pick was announced. Are you feeling better now like me?
CC,
I was a bit perplexed when they used the pick on a WR. I too was looking for Def help. After the JW news broke I had to chang my mind and have liked everything I have heard about him to this point.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:
Ummm...before we jump to conclusions lets see how he performs in a regular NFL game first. ;)
I've made comment elsewhere about this kid...

And regular season games are the tell of the tale..
I hope he avoids the injury bug, as well.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
California cheez--Excellent post- many Packer fans felt that way. I was at the Packer draft party at Atrium at lambeau Field. The Packers gave us draft cards with all the good draft prospects by Position. By the time the draft reached the later choices before the Packer's 24th pick. My buddy and realized after the New Orleans pick that Packer might draft Aaron Rodgers. All defensive Picks that Packer thought might be potential starters had been chosen before the Packer first round pick. This has been the problem The Packers have encounter with many drafts since 1992. The NFL draft is set up to punished successful teams, and now in 1993, NFL had added Free Agency and a Salary Cap to further complicate a successful franchise attempt to keep winning. It is called competitive balance or parity in the NFL. The Packers have kept on winning since 1993 despite the obstacles named above. Many other franchises, who had been winning during the same period, have not been so fortunate. The 49ers have plunged to a 2-14 record last year, a big example of "Salary Cap Hell", the Cowboys who had a winning year in '03 have went to a 5-11 record in '04. Dolphins who have had winning seasons for years sunk to 5-11 in '04. I could name more franchise, but you get the picture. There are few posters who seem to wallow in the expectations that this Green Bay Franchise is going in that downward direction. NFL football is in strange era with competitive balance, a team like the Chargers who were 3-13 in '03, turned it completely around in '04 and the Chargers went 13-3, and Pittsburgh Steelers had a terrific '04 year after a so-so year in '03. Anything is possible in NFL. But I am optimistic about the Packer chances this year to keep on winning. I believe there are some players, who are rookies, second year player, third year and free agents on this roster this year will step forward and become quality players. This has happen many times before in NFL history. I have seen many Rookie players come into GB and look like this were lost in Pro Football their rookie year and all of sudden the "light went on in their head" and they became good players in their second or third year. Javon Walker ,Flannegan, Wahle, Driver, Fergeson, Sharper being just a few, I could name. For some reason the Media has picked this year to completely discount the talent on this team and it seems a minority of Packer fans, especially fans who use the internet for their information, have bought into this type of thinking. They have trashed the Packer draft, Packer management, coaching staff, and players on the Packer roster on Packer forums and completely discounted this team chances in '05 NFL season before Packer Training Camp begins .. but then say perfunctory" I am still a Packer Fan". Humm!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts