Ted Thompson's second challenge

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Thompson will sign someone during this free agency period. But you can bet it won't be a guy that will break the bank. My guess is that there's a young guy out there that was on his draft list at some point but got snatched up by another team. He will think the guy still has a good chance to be a player. Thats who he will go after and there won't be a lot of $'s involved. Ted will value shop.
If we lose one of our big FAs, I would not expect TT to sign any. I believe it works that there are no compensatory picks for a lost FA if you sign a FA. Our 3 big guys, Flynn, Wells, and Finley would probably garner high 3rd round picks - Wells probably a 4th or 5th. That is probably a better player than a FA signing.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
El Guapo, I believe that's only regarding restricted free agents. The team losing the player can either match the other teams offer or receive the compensation you describe. Bush is an example - three or four years ago he signed another teams offer sheet and the Packers matched it. Flynn is an unrestricted free agent and the comp pick for him will depend upon the NFL's double secret formula which involves the size of the contract he signs and his first year performance. Also, it's not a one-for-one regarding players lost and signed. If a team loses one FA and signs another and the player they lost is more valuable according to the formula, the team gets a comp pick.

If there is a FA Thompson likes IMO he will go after him without regard to the effect that signing would have on future comp picks.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah the nfl won't say how they come up with comp picks for watever reason. Someone needs to leak it. Then again maybe they just roll dice to decide what round you get.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
El Guapo, I believe that's only regarding restricted free agents. The team losing the player can either match the other teams offer or receive the compensation you describe. Bush is an example - three or four years ago he signed another teams offer sheet and the Packers matched it. Flynn is an unrestricted free agent and the comp pick for him will depend upon the NFL's double secret formula which involves the size of the contract he signs and his first year performance. Also, it's not a one-for-one regarding players lost and signed. If a team loses one FA and signs another and the player they lost is more valuable according to the formula, the team gets a comp pick.

If there is a FA Thompson likes IMO he will go after him without regard to the effect that signing would have on future comp picks.

nope, UFA's are counted as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a dice roll...using some d14's :D

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I think Thompson will sign someone during this free agency period. But you can bet it won't be a guy that will break the bank. My guess is that there's a young guy out there that was on his draft list at some point but got snatched up by another team. He will think the guy still has a good chance to be a player. Thats who he will go after and there won't be a lot of $'s involved. Ted will value shop.
Absolutely right. If TT goes into FA it is going to be a Value pickup, not a high priced break the cap guy. TT is good at finding talent that meets the budget.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
nope, UFA's are counted as well.
Not sure what you're responding to, ONLY UFAs count toward the compensation picks granted in the next season's draft. The last two times I used "FAs" in that post, I meant UFAs as they're the only ones involved. (There's no formula regarding RFAs signed by another team.)

BTW, there was - and perhaps still is - someone who was very good at predicting the compensation picks so he had some insight on what the formula is. It no doubt involves some subjectivity and that is perhaps why they don't want fans to know exactly what the "formula" is.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure what you're responding to, ONLY UFAs count toward the compensation picks granted in the next season's draft. The last two times I used "FAs" in that post, I meant UFAs as they're the only ones involved. (There's no formula regarding RFAs signed by another team.)

BTW, there was - and perhaps still is - someone who was very good at predicting the compensation picks so he had some insight on what the formula is. It no doubt involves some subjectivity and that is perhaps why they don't want fans to know exactly what the "formula" is.

I miss read your post, lol

yeah, i've seen his site, but I believe they changed it after it became public because it was too accurate and the NFL gave out different from what he said.

Reaction score
Ted should try and see if the browns are willing to trade one of their 1st round picks (or their 2nd round pick)...
offer james jones and a middle round pick, idk.... something, trade up. Get An Awesome OLB, a big bull rushing 3-4 DT/DE.

Trade away Erik Walden & AJ Hawk for mid round picks, trade up to the 3rd/or 4th rounds... get best guys avaible.
idk, OT/QB/CB/MLB.... just improve our pass rush and get clay and raji some help.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted should try and see if the browns are willing to trade one of their 1st round picks (or their 2nd round pick)...
offer james jones and a middle round pick, idk.... something, trade up. Get An Awesome OLB, a big bull rushing 3-4 DT/DE.

Trade away Erik Walden & AJ Hawk for mid round picks, trade up to the 3rd/or 4th rounds... get best guys avaible.
idk, OT/QB/CB/MLB.... just improve our pass rush and get clay and raji some help.

downside to that is he rarely trades players, particularly big named ones, before the draft. Only think of Corey Williams as one that it happened with.

not that I don't like the notion, trade Jones free up space to keep Driver,Gurley and Borel while getting a definite need.

Walden I can see happening, but no way we'd trade Hawk, contract is too big

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This offseason will be the most challenging for TT since he came to Green Bay. If he gets aggressive and steps out of his pattern, he could hit it big. But if he gets overly conservative and hopes to get more with the current players, it will be a failure.
We will see.
I'm confused.
Is this Ted's first or second challenge?
If it's his second, then what was the first one?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts