Ted Thompson to be inducted into Packers HOF

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw this on the packers FB page, has Ted reallt done enough to warrnant it? genuine question

Is it really? How about instead of asking us why he does deserve it you tell us why you think he doesn't.

Last edited:

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't like the timing whatsoever. The crap you see on the field is mostly his fault. Could this announcement not wait until February or March?

When you think of Thompson, is the first thing that comes to fans minds the SB win? I doubt it. It's always going to be..."Yeah...but".

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't like the timing whatsoever. The crap you see on the field is mostly his fault. Could this announcement not wait until February or March?

When you think of Thompson, is the first thing that comes to fans minds the SB win? I doubt it. It's always going to be..."Yeah...but".

From watching Ted's press conferences over the years (rare as they were) it certainly seems to me that a bit of dementia had begun to set in over the last 2-3 years. That's just my opinion, hope I'm wrong. I always thought TT was high character, classy guy who did more than enough to deserve Packers HOF.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he definitely deserves it, he got us a Super Bowl win, no easy thing these days. He's part of the Packer story, put him in there.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
From watching Ted's press conferences over the years (rare as they were) it certainly seems to me that a bit of dementia had begun to set in over the last 2-3 years. That's just my opinion, hope I'm wrong. I always thought TT was high character, classy guy who did more than enough to deserve Packers HOF.

If you listen to him in this 2010 meeting with Farve, seems like same old TT. :coffee:

CAUTION: R Rated Language

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers Hall of Fame should be reserved for great coaches. Men who defined greatness. There needs to be higher standards. Like winning at least two SB's. It should be reserved for men with a great chance of ending up in Canton. Neither MM or TT have a snowballs chance in hell of going into the Pro Hall of Fame.

I'm very sorry that TT may have health issues. It's unfortunate. That doesn't change the fact he was handed the keys to a Ferrari and turned it into a Toyota. He may be a nice guy in real life. But he doesn't define greatness. Him and MM should've been fired the day after January 18th, 2015. That was the day this franchise went from elite to average.

Oh yeah, get rid of the Packers fan hall of fame too. You can recognize a fan other ways. Like thanking them publicly on a nationally televised broadcast. Fans dedicate three hours a week to watch their team. Good on them if they buy tickets and travel to away games. But they didn't spend countless hours learning a playbook. Or putting their bodies on the line every week. They don't study film. Or workout like crazy. It's cheesy.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Simple answer, he doesn't deserve it. But I'd also tell you KGB doesn't really belong either but he's in. Packers HOF is a long list so I'm not going to get too butt hurt about it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
he was handed the keys to a Ferrari and turned it into a Toyota. He may be a nice guy in real life. But he doesn't define greatness. Him and MM should've been fired the day after January 18th, 2015. That was the day this franchise went from elite to average.

Not sure if you are referring to Favre or Rodgers? If its Rodgers, he was the guy who picked those keys up out of the gutter after 23 or so other GM's walked by them.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers Hall of Fame should be reserved for great coaches. Men who defined greatness. There needs to be higher standards. Like winning at least two SB's. It should be reserved for men with a great chance of ending up in Canton. Neither MM or TT have a snowballs chance in hell of going into the Pro Hall of Fame.

I'm very sorry that TT may have health issues. It's unfortunate. That doesn't change the fact he was handed the keys to a Ferrari and turned it into a Toyota. He may be a nice guy in real life. But he doesn't define greatness. Him and MM should've been fired the day after January 18th, 2015. That was the day this franchise went from elite to average.

Oh yeah, get rid of the Packers fan hall of fame too. You can recognize a fan other ways. Like thanking them publicly on a nationally televised broadcast. Fans dedicate three hours a week to watch their team. Good on them if they buy tickets and travel to away games. But they didn't spend countless hours learning a playbook. Or putting their bodies on the line every week. They don't study film. Or workout like crazy. It's cheesy.

K. I guess we're kicking Ron Wolf out. Holmgrem too

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That 2014/15 playoff loss to the Seahawks still makes me sick to this day. I have issues man, I just can't get over it. I think it won't fade because if we close that game, we have another SB. Period.

I don't share this opinion. If we make the Super Bowl that year, we go against Belichick - who we had defeated earlier in the season. He would make the necessary adjustments, and MM would just keep doing what he did in the regular season game and wonder why it wasn't working anymore. MM's not good enough to beat Belichick twice in one season.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Simple answer, he doesn't deserve it. But I'd also tell you KGB doesn't really belong either but he's in. Packers HOF is a long list so I'm not going to get too butt hurt about it.

Since 1970, 161 individuals have had the honor of being inducted into the Packers Hall of Fame. It's not a particularly exclusive club. Phil Bengston, Dr. Eugene Brusky (Team physician in the 60's, Al Treml ( Film & Video Director in the 60's) are in the HOF, along with many questionable players (KGB, Majkowski, Ken Ellis, etc). If that's the standard, then Ted Thompson certainly belongs in. Personally, I wish it was a much more exclusive group.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers Hall of Fame should be reserved for great coaches. Men who defined greatness. There needs to be higher standards. Like winning at least two SB's.

I absolutely disagree as that would mean that no player, coach or general manager who played or worked for the Packers after Lombardi left should have been inducted into the team's HOF.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I absolutely disagree as that would mean that no player, coach or general manager who played or worked for the Packers after Lombardi left should have been inducted into the team's HOF.
Or before, for that matter. Lombardi is the only Packers coach who has won two Super Bowls. :)

Speaking of which, I used to kind of like Jason Whitlock, but he is firmly on my **** list now. Earlier in the week he said that eventually they will rename the Lombardi trophy the Belichick trophy. :mad:

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it really? How about instead of asking us why he does deserve it you tell us why you think he doesn't.

yes it was a genuine question. please bear in mind when i ask something like that, that i am not American, so i don't have the same balls to the walls coverage of football that you have grown up with. add to that, i have only been a member of this forum about 4 years, and it is very informative in lots of ways for me, and for pretty much all of this the discussion of TT has been mainly negative.

maybe i could have worded my question differently, but it still got me answers from others that help me form an opinion

Have A Nice Day

Reaction score
I don't share this opinion. If we make the Super Bowl that year, we go against Belichick - who we had defeated earlier in the season. He would make the necessary adjustments, and MM would just keep doing what he did in the regular season game and wonder why it wasn't working anymore. MM's not good enough to beat Belichick twice in one season.

And we never will know :/

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Ron Wolf, 1991-2001:
  • HOF QB
  • 108-68 (61%) in the regular season
  • 10-6 (63%) in the playoffs
  • 1 SB title
Ted Thompson, 2005-2017:
  • HOF QB
  • 125-82-1 (60%) in the regular season
  • 10-8 (56%) in the playoffs
  • 1 SB title
And yet many fans will lionize Wolf while simultaneously ripping Thompson for being terrible. It makes absolutely no sense.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Personally, I think more people view Wolf as the guy who brought the Packers out of the basement and made football relevant in Green Bay again. Sherman didn't exactly leave TT a well set table, but if memory serves me correct, the organization was in much better shape than it was when Wolf took over.

I can see why Wolf is viewed by many to have been the better of the two GM's and probably rightfully so, but that shouldn't diminish the good things that TT did while running the Packers.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I think more people view Wolf as the guy who brought the Packers out of the basement and made football relevant in Green Bay again. Sherman didn't exactly leave TT a well set table, but if memory serves me correct, the organization was in much better shape than it was when Wolf took over.

I can see why Wolf is viewed by many to have been the better of the two GM's and probably rightfully so, but that shouldn't diminish the good things that TT did while running the Packers.
People tend to Ding Thompsons because he took over with Favre. But that team was not in good shape cap wise or roster wise. It performed ok, but the Cliff was coming. Anyway, most figure that since Favre was here when TT took over, it wasn't as difficult for Ted to create a winner. Ok, fine, he had the QB. And when that QB was done he found the next HOF QB. Wolf found 1, Ted found 1. This has happened how many times in NFL history? 2? it shouldn't be diminished because he took over with 1. How many other guys moved from 1 to the next? 1 besides Ted that I can remember.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Right, and that makes sense to me as a reason for rating Wolf above Thompson. But the many fans I'm referring to don't merely do that-- they view Wolf as being great and TT as being terrible. Their records are virtually identical, making that conclusion pretty ridiculous.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted definitely deserves to be in. His last 3 years weren't so hot but up until 2014 he was phenomenal. He's responsible for guys like:

Jordy
Jennungs
James Jones
Davante
Finley
Ryan Grant
Lacy
Sitton
Lang
Bakhtiari

Woodson
Nic Collins
Hawk
Raji
CM3
Casey Heyward
Hyde

Tons of other great talent ..if not for incompetent coaching I feel we would have had two more SBs

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted definitely deserves to be in. His last 3 years weren't so hot but up until 2014 he was phenomenal. He's responsible for guys like:

Jordy
Jennungs
James Jones
Davante
Finley
Ryan Grant
Lacy
Sitton
Lang
Bakhtiari

Woodson
Nic Collins
Hawk
Raji
CM3
Casey Heyward
Hyde

Tons of other great talent ..if not for incompetent coaching I feel we would have had two more SBs

However, who was responsible for the HC (who then made the rest of the coaching appointments)?

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts