Ted Thompson to be inducted into Packers HOF

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I saw this on the packers FB page, has Ted reallt done enough to warrnant it? genuine question

Thompson was responsible for building the roster that won the 2010 Super Bowl and he drafted Rodgers. While TT didn't have a lot of success late during his tenure he did a masterful job over the first few years as the team's general manager.

Therefore he deserves to be inducted in my opinion.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw this on the packers FB page, has Ted reallt done enough to warrnant it? genuine question
Without a doubt. in 10 years he built 2 roster capable of winning a couple super bowls. They won 1 in 2010 after having to redo the roster and picked up another HOF QB in the process. Then built it again for a 2014, 15 run. They didn't get it done. It petered out at the end. it happens to everyone that plays the game long enough. If they would have won in 2014 he'd probably qualify for the HOF in Canton too.

Reaction score
That 2014/15 playoff loss to the Seahawks still makes me sick to this day. I have issues man, I just can't get over it. I think it won't fade because if we close that game, we have another SB. Period.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Drafting Aaron Rodgers is all he needed to do to earn this.

If that is all you see, you are ignoring the other things TT did. But I won't try to convince you otherwise.

Not sure who was running the 1991 draft for the Atlanta Falcons, but I doubt whoever it was that pulled the trigger on Favre (Glanville didn't want him) he/she isn't in any Hall of Fames because of it.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Sure he deserves it. He built and oversaw a Super Bowl winner and serial playoff squads. 22 years with the organization, 7 in scouting, 13 as GM, 1 as a "scout emeritus".

If we compare his GM performance to that of a player, we'd say he had a couple of Pro Bowl appearances and an All Pro in the first half of his career, then tailed off gradually then badly in the second half. Though not a perfect comparision, that's kind of like Driver who tailed off in his last 3 years with injury and age.

It's not like we're talking about the Pro Football HOF. There are 161 names on the Packer HOF list. I don't think we're going to see his name in the Ring of Honor. With that many names in the hall over the 100 years of Packer football, 16 guys get in over a decade on average.

To deny him the honor would be a sorry WhatHaveYouDoneForMeLately-ism. C'mon. The bar for entry is not all that high.

Last edited by a moderator:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I definitely think he deserves it. I am concerned about his health though. Since he officially still works for the organization it seems a little strange to me that they are doing it now. Perhaps this is not unusual...I don’t know, but if it is i’m guessing that this year will be his last with the Packers. Hopefully his health was not a factor.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I definitely think he deserves it. I am concerned about his health though. Since he officially still works for the organization it seems a little strange to me that they are doing it now. Perhaps this is not unusual...I don’t know, but if it is i’m guessing that this year will be his last with the Packers. Hopefully his health was not a factor.

Thompson looks like he did over the past few years:

https://www.packers.com/video/ted-t..._CT-Hall of Fame-GB_sf201705412&sf201705412=1

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I meant that it doesn't seem his health has worsened over the past few months.
Hopefully that is true, but we certainly can’t determine that from watching an interview. Without getting too morbid, the Packers organization may be privy to things we are not.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Hopefully that is true, but we certainly can’t determine that from watching an interview. Without getting too morbid, the Packers organization may be privy to things we are not.

Well, hopefully that's not true.

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If that is all you see, you are ignoring the other things TT did. But I won't try to convince you otherwise.
I think you are misinterpreting what I posted. I stated drafting Aaron Rodgers was all he NEEDED to get this honor. I did NOT say it was the ONLY REASON he will receive the honor, however.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I hope TT's health isn't the reason they are doing this now, but my hats off to the the Packers organization for doing it sooner than later in either case.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think you are misinterpreting what I posted. I stated drafting Aaron Rodgers was all he NEEDED to get this honor. I did NOT say it was the ONLY REASON he will receive the honor, however.
My apologies if I misinterpreted your statement but it came across in a similar way as many TT haters put it "all the guy has done was get lucky and draft AR and you fricking people think he is a god".

H

HardRightEdge

Drafting Aaron Rodgers is all he needed to do to earn this.
That's silly.

Nick Collins was the #2 pick in the Rodgers draft. There was the Matthews/Raji/Lang draft and the Nelson/Finley/Sitton draft. Matthews and Raji panning out was essential in the switch to the Capers 3-4 in 2009 being successful. He drafted Hawk (who had his best year in 2010) and Jennings. He signed Woodson. Most of these players were core and Pro Bowl essentials to the 2010 Super Bowl win and beyond, with Nelson and Finley being core players in subsequent legitimate contenders.

Thompson did some controversial things that were not very popular. Many thought Woodson was in decline and Thompson overpaid. In the switch to the Capers 3-4, where Matthews and Raji were home runs in the fit for the Super Bowl year and the years beyond, he shipped out Kampman after 2009, a two-time Pro Bowler with 37 sacks in 2006-2008 before his 2009 injury. That was not popular at all.

And when we consider Rodgers, there are two critical decisions, both of which were controversial. First, drafting him, instead of a player who could impact now. Then, Thompson's signature move in his career, was going to the unproven Rodgers over the HOFer Favre.

In the final analysis, Thompson's legacy will be as a draft and develop team builder. His reputation following 2010 and few years beyond was as an elite GM. What the last handful of years demonstrated is that he was not a team maintainer. He became a lot more conservative and risk averse after climbing the mountain, eschewing free agency and backing and filling in the draft with a narrower focus.

If all he needed to do was draft Aaron Rodgers consider he also had to decide to play him, a very difficult decision to say the least, and in the final analysis just as important as having drafted him in the first place. He could have given Favre everything he wanted and suffered through the teary retirement threats for a couple more years and Rodgers would have been traded, gone in free agency, or gone to seed sitting on the bench for 5 years.

And I would observe that if all Thompson needed to do was draft Aaron Rodgers, who is playing now at what you have been claiming is 100% for some weeks now, ('"he ran out of the tunnel!"), then why is this team kind of a mess?

H

HardRightEdge

I definitely think he deserves it. I am concerned about his health though. Since he officially still works for the organization it seems a little strange to me that they are doing it now.
He's been hanging around this year as what I characterize as "scout emertius". He's serving to aid in the transition, probably not doing anything more than being available to bounce ideas off. He's probably there to assist Murphy this year in his role as uber-GM, for this year anyway.

Thompson may have had a year left on his contract and this was a way to use him while not disrespecting his legacy by firing him.

I think it is safe to say the announcement now indicates this is his last year with the organization, and that may have nothing to do with health.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was never shy in voicing my dislike of TT over his last 4 years or so as GM. There was a point early in my tenure on this site that I referred to TT, MM and AR as the holy trinity because if you dared say anything negative about any of them you were pretty much lambasted by many of the posters.

That said, as someone else pointed out, he had a long successful career with the Pack doing more than just GM and his early GM career is as good as it gets.

There is no doubt in my mind that he deserves this honor.

H

HardRightEdge

Someday McCarthy will be inducted into the Packer Hall of Fame, and I expect there will be people arguing against that for much the same reasons.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts