Ted Thompson to be inducted into Packers HOF

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yes it was a genuine question. please bear in mind when i ask something like that, that i am not American, so i don't have the same balls to the walls coverage of football that you have grown up with. add to that, i have only been a member of this forum about 4 years, and it is very informative in lots of ways for me, and for pretty much all of this the discussion of TT has been mainly negative.

maybe i could have worded my question differently, but it still got me answers from others that help me form an opinion

Have A Nice Day

So what opinion did you form? In or out? Forming an opinion based off what you read on the internet is a risky proposition. You say that pretty much all of the discussion about TT is negative (I disagree but to each his own) and I think that is probably because the anti Ted people are just much more vocal. Just like most Anti-anything people are more vocal. When it comes to Ted those who think more positively of him are probably just sick of defending him to anyone who refuses to listen to their side of the argument so they just stop trying. My personal opinion is that there are far more people who would say yes he deserves to be in than those who say no. It is my further opinion that a good percentage of those saying no are basing their opinion on one thing and that is they think he ran Brett Favre out of town. He could have built a team that won 4 SBs and some would still not support him because of that item alone.

By the way, my unofficial count seems to stand at 9 for the HOF 3 against. There were a few I didn't count simply because the poster didn't say yes or no even though you could probably figure out which way they were leaning. I don't think that is mainly negative.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what opinion did you form? In or out? Forming an opinion based off what you read on the internet is a risky proposition. You say that pretty much all of the discussion about TT is negative (I disagree but to each his own) and I think that is probably because the anti Ted people are just much more vocal. Just like most Anti-anything people are more vocal. When it comes to Ted those who think more positively of him are probably just sick of defending him to anyone who refuses to listen to their side of the argument so they just stop trying. My personal opinion is that there are far more people who would say yes he deserves to be in than those who say no. It is my further opinion that a good percentage of those saying no are basing their opinion on one thing and that is they think he ran Brett Favre out of town. He could have built a team that won 4 SBs and some would still not support him because of that item alone.

By the way, my unofficial count seems to stand at 9 for the HOF 3 against. There were a few I didn't count simply because the poster didn't say yes or no even though you could probably figure out which way they were leaning. I don't think that is mainly negative.
Agreed.. and for the record... I was a huge Favre fan... and was predisposed to hate Thompson ....That being said.. He changed my mind very quickly.. I did not have to wait for the 2010 Supernowl to see what a good job he was doing. Thompson unquestionably deserves to be in.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted hired McCarthy, who was a good choice at the time. He wasn't as good as Holmgren, but Holmgren didn't stick with us either.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score

going by the discussion in this thread, then I would agree that he deserves to be in. i was meaning the general TT discussion in the forum over the past few years rather than what had been said in this thread, has been more of a negative opinion of TT, but that has been based more, i think, on (disappointing)team performance over the last couple of years.
i'm old enough not to believe everything i read on the internet, but this forum is normally gives plenty varied opinions, and i try to take from more rational posts, and and ignore more vociferous posts as they are normally a load of crap anyway

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
He will be inducted right after Capers...:whistling:

That should add another 100+ pages to the "Fire Capers" thread :tup:

Speaking of.....maybe that Thread should be sent to the Packers Front Office for enshrinement?

H

HardRightEdge

He will be inducted right after Capers...:whistling:
Carl "Bud" Jorgensen joined the team in 1924 and was inducted in the Packer Hall of Fame in 1976. According to the PHOF web site he served as "Property Manager / Trainer". Anything is possible.

H

HardRightEdge

McCarthy will undoubtedly be inducted into the Packer HOF. Capers ... maybe not.
Seriously, the only guys in the Packer HOF chiefly as assistant coaches are Phil Bengston and Red Cochran. All told, there are only 5 who served as coaches: Lambeau, Lombardi, Bengston, Cochran and Holmgren.

Cochran was the QB/RB coach under Lombardi. Later he served as a Packer scout for 30 years, full time until age 65 and then part time up to 2004 at age 82! Whether those later years were more for insitutional knowledge I could not say.

Bengston was the defensive coordinator under Lombardi, then the unfortunate successor to Lombardi as HC for 3 seasons.

I don't think Capers is going to make the grade. Fritz Shurmur was the DC for the two Favre SB teams. He retired 20 years ago and he's not in the PHOF.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Capers is going to make the grade. Fritz Shurmur was the DC for the two Favre SB teams. He retired 20 years ago and he's not in the PHOF.
Shurmur was a lot better DC for us than Capers was.
He did have Reggie White though.

Members online

Latest posts