Teammates Hope Favre Returns

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://packers.com/news/stories/2008/01/22/1/

by Mike Spofford, Packers.com
posted 01/22/2008

No one was making any bold predictions, but as players packed up their lockers on Monday, there was strong sentiment they'd like to see veteran quarterback Brett Favre return for another season.

"He's a great quarterback, why wouldn't you want him to come back?" receiver James Jones said. "He's won championships, he's done all he needs to do, and he knows how to win. To fall short like this hurts, but to have him come back it would be a plus."

Favre said after Sunday's overtime loss in the NFC Championship that he wasn't going to rush into any decision, but that he would take time to talk with Head Coach Mike McCarthy and then return home to Mississippi to get away and discuss it with his family.

He indicated he wasn't going to drag his thought process out too long. Two years ago he didn't announce his intentions until April, whereas last year he did so during Super Bowl week, about a month after the Packers' season had concluded.

Players were asked if they had any gut feeling on what Favre's decision would be, but no one was forthcoming with any prognostications. While they'd like to see him return, they also wouldn't begrudge a decision to retire, considering all he's accomplished in his 17-year career.

"Honestly I don't think he knows (what he'll do)," said backup quarterback Craig Nall, a friend of Favre's. "It's one of those things where you don't want to make a hasty decision right after the season is over, because you're probably making that more based off emotion than anything.

"Personally, I hope he does come back, because I think he's such a great advocate for this league, and he's meant so much to the town of Green Bay, and to the NFL in general. I hope he comes back just because I like watching him play. I always have. When I was in high school, when I was watching him, I was always a Brett Favre fan.

"But at the same time if he decides to retire, he's more than deserving of doing that. I don't think anybody would fault him for making that decision. But in terms of his physical ability, can he come back? I think so. The way he played this year I think proves that."

Favre put together one of his best seasons in 2007, setting a career-high with a 66.5 percent completion rate in the regular season. His 4,155 yards and 95.7 passer rating were both third-best in his career in those categories, and he threw 28 touchdowns against just 15 interceptions, tied for the third-lowest interception total in his career.

Along the way, Favre broke the league's all-time records for victories by a quarterback, passing touchdowns, attempts and yards.

"The one thing I know is he can still play football, and he proved that this year, having an incredible year," cornerback Charles Woodson said. "He holds every record now you could possibly imagine. What he should do now is sit down with the family and figure out if this is something he really wants to do."

Asked whether Favre could really walk away with his last play being an interception in overtime of the NFC title game, Nall didn't think that would play into his decision.

"There comes a point in everybody's career where you try to decide, 'Have I had enough?'" Nall said. "I don't think one play is going to make his whole career. Granted, he probably wished he wouldn't have thrown that interception. Everybody would have, but I don't think he's that worried about that last play. I think he's trying to look at the big picture and make a decision based off of that."

With a relatively young roster and veterans remaining under contract at some key positions, the Packers feel they've established the foundation for another playoff run. The players believe Favre has a strong team to lead, should he decide to return.

"With the way the season went, I guess you would feel that the team would be better next year," Woodson said. "We had a lot of young guys on the team, especially offensively with Brett. We found that running game we needed this season with Ryan Grant, and you would only think the team would get better, so I guess you could say he does have something to come back for."

Without being too overbearing, receiver Greg Jennings tried to make sure Favre knew how he felt. Jennings said he spoke to Favre briefly before the locker room was cleaned out on Monday.

"I just made a comment, 'You going to give me one more year?', and he just kind of giggled," Jennings said. "I did the same thing last year and he said, 'We'll see,' and he was back. Who knows. Hopefully he's back. If not, then we have to move on, but we'd definitely like to see him in that locker over there one more time."

Should he not be there, Favre's influence in the locker room would certainly be missed, as well as his play on the field. Long-snapper Rob Davis, who is the longest-tenured Packer other than Favre, said he feels the humble way Favre has carried himself over the years as one of the league's mega-stars has helped prevent any out-sized egos from taking over the locker room.

A locker room leader himself, Davis has his own future to consider, and he's not sure whether he'll be asked back for another year or if he'll be moving on. But Davis echoed the thoughts of many teammates when he said whatever decision Favre makes will be respected and celebrated.

"If he decides to walk away from this game, I think he's certainly earned that right," Davis said. "I think he's done everything he could to help bring this organization back to prominence. He's competed like a pro."

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bump...

Gee I wonder if one of the teammates was Aaron Rodgers (or the "Rodgers-firster" Cal2GreenBay..??)

:lol:

He should leave.

Don't his teammates know he is being selfish and standing in the unproven Aaron Rodgers' way?

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess the guy is doing something right if his teammates want him back....but 17 people on this forum do not!

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess the guy is doing something right if his teammates want him back....but 17 people on this forum do not!

What are they gonna say? Hell no we don't want him back. Of course his teammates want him back. As we all know the players get to make the decision anyway ... right?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Of the 17 that voted for him to retire, I wonder what percentage are Bear/Viking/Lions/other fans. ;)

Members online

Latest posts