SuperBowl Ad rejected by NFL

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://washingtontimes.com/national/20070213-115739-3816r.htm

The National Football League refused to run a recruitment ad for the U.S. Border Patrol in last week's Super Bowl program, saying it was "controversial" because it mentioned duties such as fighting terrorism and stopping drugs and illegal aliens at the border.
"The ad that the department submitted was specific to Border Patrol, and it mentioned terrorism. We were not comfortable with that," said Greg Aiello, a spokesman for the NFL. "The borders, the immigration debate is a very controversial issue, and we were sensitive to any perception we were injecting ourselves into that."
The NFL's rejection didn't sit well with Border Patrol agents, who called it a snub of their role in homeland security and said it was "more than a little puzzling."

Other major leagues have had no problems running the ad, a Border Patrol spokesman said. It has been accepted to run in programs for the upcoming NBA All Star Game and the NCAA Final Four, as well as in Pro BullRider magazine, the spokesman said.
The NFL's snub came to light last week during Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff's testimony before a congressional panel. Mr. Chertoff said the ad was rejected, "much to my chagrin."

The Super Bowl program is produced by the NFL, which printed about 200,000 copies this year, Mr. Aiello said.
The Border Patrol ad asks for "the right men and women to help protect America's southwest borders." It lists duties as preventing "the entry of terrorists and their weapons," blocking "unlawful entry of undocumented aliens" and "stopping drug smuggling."

Interesting that the program sold at the Super Bowl could not have a government agency recruitment ad.

I see this as a sign that the NFL people need to get out of New York once in awhile. While I was disappointed in Tagliabue as commissioner, I think the new guy who has spent his whole time at the "home office" could be much worse.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reality is that our southern border is weak at best. With what happened on 9/11, we NEED to close it off, so that only legal people can come in, period.
It's a weak spot that needs to be addressed. As the old saying goes, your only as strong as your weakest link. You don't think the terrorists are aware of this? Trust me, they are. The NFL just showed me that THEY are weak. They put us through check points when we enter an NFL stadium (i went through this at Lambeau Field), making us allow cops to pat us down, yet they won't back our own government's attempt to keep our country's border safe?
Maybe if we shut off the ways for the bad guys to get here in the FIRST place, we as American citizens wouldn't HAVE to be patted down before we enter a stadium (or other venue) in our own country.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of Course The NFL refused to run an ad for the recruitment of Border Patrol agents. It is Un-Mexican not to be confused with Un-American.

They say they did not review the controversial SNICKERS commercial but took the time to Review and ad from the Government of The United States Of America.

Hypocritical, bull---**** corporate spin doctors.

The NFL has big plans for Mexico City. Future NFL games in Mexico City are big revenue, and the NFL is a corporation first and a loyal backer of America as a whole second.

Hey... I am am a corporate guy. I love commerce but you have to draw the line on your hypocrisy some where in the sand of life.

Raider Pride.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Of Course The NFL refused to run an ad for the recruitment of Border Patrol agents. It is Un-Mexican not to be confused with Un-American.

They say they did not review the controversial SNICKERS commercial but took the time to Review and ad from the Government of The United States Of America.

The NFL has big plans for Mexico City. Future NFL games in Mexico City are big revenue, and the NFL is a corporation first and a loyal backer of America as a whole second.

Hey... I am am a corporate guy. I love commerce but you have to draw the line on your hypocrisy some where in the sand of life.

Raider Pride.

thats true. Initially I can see why people are rabbling that its anti-american, but its just not trying to **** other countries off, aka Mexico. That mexico city game was fun to watch.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the subject of Mexico City games, I want to know how the players can play a whole game in Azteco. The American soccer players can't last 30 minutes in that filthy air.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

Raider Pride.

thats true. Initially I can see why people are rabbling that its anti-american, but its just not trying to **** other countries off, aka Mexico. That mexico city game was fun to watch.
Me.....i'm not worried about "pissing off Mexico"............i would rather protect this country then be politically correct.
What i'm trying to say is, it has nothing to do with ilegal Mexicans coming here (even though that IS wrong, and should be dealt with) it's all about KEEPING TERRORISTS FROM ENTERING HERE. If Mexicans can just run across the border into America, don't you think the REAL bad guys know this and can do the same? If they want to enter America, it has to be a breeze! Just find the weak spot at the USA/Mexico border, and come on in!

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a question. Starting this year all Canadians need a passport to enter the States, does anyone know if this goes for Mexico too? It sure is aq pain but I can see why they do it.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If people would just come here legally, it would help solve alot of problems with our security. It sucks that those that DO wait, and follow the laws get pushed aside by those that break the law and just come here.
I don't mind that people want to come here to better themselves, just do it legally.

Latest posts