Studs and Duds: Superbowl XVL Green Bay vs. Pittsburgh

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs -

Aaron Rodgers - his resolve stayed in place as he watched his WR's drop balls all over the field. But was still spot on and made his legacy begin! Nothing but love for the guy.

Desmond Bishop - had a heck of a super bowl. Made some critical tackles. A very steady performer all season long.

Clay Matthews - being held just about every pass play. He and Pickett made the play of the game when they forced the fumble.

Green Bay OL - wow they did a hell of a job containing Pitt LB's. And had some gas left in the tank at the end to run the ball which was critical.

Green Bay Secondary - the walking wounded survived and that is all that matters.

Duds:

FOX - one of the worst post game coverages I have ever seen. It almost seemed like the wrong team won or some darn thing. Get Roger Staubach to present the Lombardi trophy? It was the last person I wanted to see. But that is Dallas for you.

I cannot give the packer team a dud, not one. They took care of business. Lucky 13! They earned their right to the promised land. What a year!

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked what Fox did other than pre-game. Staubach was also a poor choice, but I doubt that was Fox's choice. Other than that I agree. Glad you gave Bishop some love, he played his heart out.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dud

Jones. You just can't drop a TD pass like that in a critical moment like that.

Momentary duds

Nelson - 2 critical drops - although he more than made up for it with some great catches.

Williams - losing his cool and punching a guy on the punt, otherwise he played a brilliant game.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Jenkins pointed up at the scoreboard when they were up 14-0 to a Steeler player. That to me made him a dud at that moment. Classless act.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dud? Jones maybe. Nelson at times.

Dallas hosting the SB and not being ready for it. Who forget to pay off the fire marshall? shame on you.

gotta give it up to our O line for having a great game minus Bulaga on one play

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all depends on the trash the steelers were talking.

Not to me it doesn't. I still remember Strahan doing that years ago to the 49ers in the playoffs. They lost on that messed up field goal attempt in the end. That is all I could think of when Jenkins pointed up.

A-Rod_is_God

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My major dud is the Black Eyed Peas, they were pretty awful live. And Tramon probably shouldn't have bestowed the back of his hand on that guy... But I thought FOX was all right. I just wish NBC did it every year. I just think they do an all around better job

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, I'll play.

STUDS

ARod---Played big when he had to. Brett WHO?

Jennings--2 TDs. That says it all.

Jordy Nelson--Had some drops but made some big catches to. Not whether you fall but what you do when you get up. Someone famous once said that, right?

Jarrett Bush, Clay Matthews and Nick Collins---Big defensive plays......BIG, BIG, BIG.

The midget Darth Vader----That commerical cracked me up for some reason.

DUDS

FOX--You suck. Show replays of the action not some ******* ads for lame FOX shows. Football fans want to see football, not an endless amount of crap they could care less about. You totally blew it when Ben smacked his head off the turf and came up woozy. You never showed the replay just him shaking the cobwebs loose. Instead you were showing some ******* graphic about some BS FOX show with the announcers babbling.

Jerry Jones and his Stadium--Lemme see.........ice falling off the roof hurting people. Fans not being able to sit in their seats due to safety concerns and then concrete for turf. Any questions?

NFL---To repeat, what looked like a blonde hooker butchering the hell out of the national anthem and the halftime show was no better. Maybe instead of trying to impress or draw a certain group of viewers, hire true singers who can actually sing and not some pop artists who are more preoccupied with the whole "show" aspect of the SB and fall apart when they can't lip sync. Wake da ***** up already. How many times has your obsession with drawing non-football fans to the big game blown up in your face over the years? Sometimes less is more.

And while you're at it, hire some zebras who know what a face mask penalty is.

Heath Miller-----Did you even play dude? Steelers fans convinced us all you would be a major problem for the Packers defense. Did I miss that part of the game?

Stella Artois----By far, the lamest Super Bowl commercial I can remember........ever.

Doritos--Lets see........people eat during the Super Bowl and you rocket scientists decide that having some geek licking his buddies fingers and ripping off coworkers pants just to lick Doritos crumbs off them is funny. Does anything about people seeing thoe images while they're eating even remotely seem insanely STUPID to you?

Minor Dud--Tramon Williams--get a brain bud. Almost flubbed away the first possession then took a ******* penalty later in the game. Common sense man........if you see the opposition closing down right on you don't get brave, fair catch the ball. And if you can't field the ball cleanly, GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY !!!! He gets like a mini dud rating.

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't qualify Doritos as a dud. The commercial that you're talking about was terrible, but the other one where the grandpa came back to life was hilarious. So I think they made up for it.

And not to bash the Steelers after a hard-fought game, but the biggest dud was Polamalu. I expected him to play much better than that.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Nelson was a both a stud and a dud.

Packers as a team was a stud, with all the injuries they had this WHOLE season and winning the SB they deserved it.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I don't have anything against Staubach walking the trophy up. It is Cowboy Stadium, and I believe he was picked at the beginning of the year. He's a classy guy. His statement was a little strange though "Do I give it to you so I can get out of here?" what kind of strange. I don't think he meant anything a by it. I think he was trying to say something witty but it didn't come out right.

I would have preferred Bart Starr who was there. But Staubach is not or ever was a Jerry Jones stooge.

Reaction score
Dud: Everything outside the actual game. Slash should be ashamed of himself for associating himself with the Black Eyed Peas. I don't even want to talk about the national anthem.

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have anything against Staubach walking the trophy up. It is Cowboy Stadium, and I believe he was picked at the beginning of the year. He's a classy guy. His statement was a little strange though "Do I give it to you so I can get out of here?" what kind of strange. I don't think he meant anything a by it. I think he was trying to say something witty but it didn't come out right.

I would have preferred Bart Starr who was there. But Staubach is not or ever was a Jerry Jones stooge.

I never had a problem with Staubach prior, but he acted like he didnt want anyone to touch him when he walked the Trophy. It looked like he thought he was being crowned Miss America and was taking his cat walk to show off for the crowd.

I dont know if it would be, but all i could see while Staubach acted like a queen amongst commoners that Bart Starr would have been shaking hands and hugging players the entire way!

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
I think Jenkins pointed up at the scoreboard when they were up 14-0 to a Steeler player. That to me made him a dud at that moment. Classless act.

Honestly I dont think thats classless at all. Who knows what they were saying to jenkins- it could have been some nasty stuff. And rather than hitting (Tramon) or pushing someone He just simply was saying "hey you cant trash talk your down right now, look at the score". Thats just my opinion though.

I'd also like to point out that I dont think Tramon should be a dud- I know its for this game- But the Punt wasnt his fault, and He basically won the Philly game, and gave us the big momentum shift in the Atlanta game that ended up being the game winner. I think you could agree he was one of the top three players on the Packers that helped get us the Super Bowl.

As far as studs and duds,

Studs:
A-rod - A lifetime performance. (not the popcorn eating one either) :laughing:

Jennings/Nelson- Both came up huge

Bishop- Played outstanding, and the most underrated player IMO.
Clay/Pickett- Play of the game was the fumble no doubt.

Green Bay Packers- Played as a team and Brought back the Lombardi Trophy where it belongs.

Duds: Fox/Dallas- Didnt make the Super Bowl As great of an experience as it should have been at least for those who arent packer fans.

Ausnadian

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dud: The ref for calling the weakest face mask penalty ever.

Stud: Jennings for catching that bullet pass for the TD, amazing throw yes, but Greg knew he was going to get absolutely poleaxed as soon as he touched the ball but he held it.

Packman Chant

Lambeau West
Reaction score
Thos dorito commercials were hilarious lol STUD!

I love jenkins pointing up at the score. I dont think anyone was a dud, when they messed up they made up for it the next couple of plays. james jones made some VERY valuable catches to help win that game as well as jordy.

i do agree cowboys stadium was a dud, and so was the halftime show.

We are the champions, myyy friieeeendssss!

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Note: Look closely on one of Jordy's dropped passes. The defender actually gets a finger on it at the last second and the deflection (it was a Rodgers rocket) was enough to screw up the reception. I choose to give Nelson a break on this one. The other was a drop.

Studs
Bush: Ok, he is not an elite CB (though that was a sweet INT). But, he has shown all the character and hard-work ethic on ST that I need to be proud he wears the GB jersey.

Starks: A rookie picking up those blitzes like he was a veteran. He also run into that Steeler run defense with a chip on his shoulder and refused to go out of bounds while gaining every inch of progress.

Collins: Hurt but doesn't hang it up. His pick6 return was built on pure desire.

Woodson: Played one play with a fricking broken collarbone. I wish someone would have caught his half-time talk in the locker room on video. He didn't even bother to clean the black smudges, clearly stained by tears, off his face while cheering on his teammates during the 2nd half. I thought I gave him 100% respect before. But, now, I respect him even more.

Duds
Agreed with earlier comments: Aguilera, the half time show, and FOX in general.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to me it doesn't. I still remember Strahan doing that years ago to the 49ers in the playoffs. They lost on that messed up field goal attempt in the end. That is all I could think of when Jenkins pointed up.

I'm thought Jenkins was pointing up to the scoreboard to the replay so the refs could see the penalty committed by the Steelers. At least, that's what I got out of it.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stud: Howard Green. He hit Rothlesberger to make the Collins pick possible. Credit where credit is due.

Members online

Latest posts