Studs and duds browns

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
One call that bugs the living snot out of me is Pass Interference when the ball was totally uncatchable. That used to be a common waive off of PI penalties when another ref would come in and tell the one throwing the flag that it was uncatchable. Now...if the ball is with 10 yards of the player, seems the PI stands.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I also think that like Hockey, the refs tend to "swallow their flags/whistles" towards the end of a game, not wanting to be the deciding factor. While we have seen PI called in the closing seconds, rarely have I seen an all out scrum in a hail mary situation result in a yellow flag.

Reaction score
I watch those holding penalties in the NFL and always say to myself, I couldn't play that game anymore.

The defenders are all trying to stop the receiver from catching the ball and if they touch him anyway
that looks like it will prevent the ball being caught, the refs throw the flag..... stupid

Sometimes I wonder if the refs think the defenders are after the receiver instead of the ball.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I think many of us (including myself) overreacted a little bit to this game, both offensively and defensively.

There's no question that it left a little to be desired in some areas, but having rewatched the game, the defense played a lot better than I originally thought. Tackling was just awful. And they only had 15 points until late in the game. I understand you can't always count on 4 interceptions, but this is a very opportunistic defense and I think that's going to be a part of the equation moving forward.

Offensively, I think the Packers played a really great game after rewatching. There was a drive in the 2nd half derailed by pressure, another one derailed by a 1st and 10 attempted end around that lost 9 yards and the Packers went until conservative mode. Then LaFleur goes completely conservative on the 2nd to last drive with three straight runs. And to cap it off, the Browns probably only score 15 and the game is never in doubt if Davante doesn't drop that ball, which he catches 99.5 out of 100 times.

The offense is the absolute last thing I'm worried about, and I think some things can get cleaned up on defense.

I do wish though that we could get a total team performance on the books before the playoffs start. Even if that has to come in Detroit against a lousy team, maybe a complete demolition of the Lions will spark the entire team and we start putting together complete performances.

Reaction score
Remember games in the past when the Packers blow up the scoreboard before half time
with 2 maybe 3 touchdowns lead?

I also wish we could put Love in in the 4th quarter with a substantial lead.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not panicking about the defense yet, but they've had a rough few weeks. Got to get that corrected. And LaFleur is being a little weird with some of his late game play calls.
You nailed it Pack. MLF should have learned two things from the last two games - 1) he's gotta get all over Barry to tighten up that DL. We know they can do it, they've done it most of the season. Get Back! and 2) keep the hammer down on O until the game is over or you can take victory kneel downs. Please don't get into the MM habit of playing not to lose in Q4. Leave it to Rodgers, he'll get it home or die trying. I don't like going out with a whimper, especially in a loss. Play to win for 60 minutes.

The good news is that the games were Ws, and important lessons were learned. Now it's up to MLF and the rest of the team to apply those lessons.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That seems to happen less and less with most teams. With the way offenses can score points fast, no lead is really that safe, until maybe the 5 minute mark and it is a 3-4 score lead.
I agree. I watch a lotta games and have not seen the #2 QB take the reins in Q4. I agree with Pack it would be nice to do. But with this team, I wouldn't feel comfortable putting Love in (and protecting Rodgers) unless they have a 21 plus point lead in Q4. I don't see that happening but would welcome it. And actually more to give Rodgers a rest. He's banged up with that foot.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: I will mention that the special teams was ok.

Aaron Jones - Ran and gashed the opposition and proved his value as a slasher.

Duds:

Defense. The whole unit is not attacking gaps at the point of attack on running plays.

Lethargic and inconsistent game. Hopefully this team gets this lull out of its system on the defensive side of the ball.
Good summary Lambeau, although it's sad when the best the STs can do is not make mistakes. How about a forced fumble or a return for 6? I'm not holding my breath.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good summary Lambeau, although it's sad when the best the STs can do is not make mistakes. How about a forced fumble or a return for 6? I'm not holding my breath.

Hey they at least are trending upwards....granted I'm unsure if any further downward trend was possible, but still.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree. I watch a lotta games and have not seen the #2 QB take the reins in Q4. I agree with Pack it would be nice to do. But with this team, I wouldn't feel comfortable putting Love in (and protecting Rodgers) unless they have a 21 plus point lead in Q4. I don't see that happening but would welcome it. And actually more to give Rodgers a rest. He's banged up with that foot.
Would be sweet to wrap up the #1 Seed after this weekend and let Love and all the backups play in Detroit. I just don't see that happening with the Bucs playing the Jets on Sunday. I am pulling for wins by The Packers, Jets, Cards and Ravens this weekend. I hope that isn't asking for too much.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would be sweet to wrap up the #1 Seed after this weekend and let Love and all the backups play in Detroit. I just don't see that happening with the Bucs playing the Jets on Sunday. I am pulling for wins by The Packers, Jets, Cards and Ravens this weekend. I hope that isn't asking for too much.
I'll be happy if the Packers and Cards win. Then the Packers have the #1 seed locked and can rest Rodgers against the Lions and give Love some snaps. The Cowboys worry me. I hate to admit it but they have a very good team. I just don't see them, or anyone else, beating the Packers at Lambeau in January. Just don't see it. And I think there's no way the Bucs can secure the #1 seed. I hope that's true. But again, the Bucs don't concern me as much as the Cowboys.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'll be happy if the Packers and Cards win. Then the Packers have the #1 seed locked and can rest Rodgers against the Lions and give Love some snaps. The Cowboys worry me. I hate to admit it but they have a very good team. I just don't see them, or anyone else, beating the Packers at Lambeau in January. Just don't see it. And I think there's no way the Bucs can secure the #1 seed. I hope that's true. But again, the Bucs don't concern me as much as the Cowboys.

Just win baby!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just win baby!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Al was a weird dude but ya can't argue with his philosophy (although his kid is TRULY weird). But it is that simple for the Packers. Just win. A lot of teams need a lot of help so we should be grateful. I'd be happy to play the Cards, Bucs, 'Boys, Rams or anyone else at Lambeau in January. They're all either dome teams or warm weather teams. Some people say that doesn't matter. I don't buy it.

Another subject - are there any wild card teams or potential wild card teams who could make a run? The Vikings come to mind but the Packers can put them away Sunday night. Any others? The last time the Packers won the SB they were the last seed.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Another subject - are there any wild card teams or potential wild card teams who could make a run? The Vikings come to mind but the Packers can put them away Sunday night. Any others? The last time the Packers won the SB they were the last seed.
The Eagles are still sniffing around at 8-7 and have won 6 in a row. However, if you consider who those wins were against, they wouldn't worry me. The Saints are still in there, but they are a shell of the team that kicked our butts in week 1.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Eagles are still sniffing around at 8-7 and have won 6 in a row. However, if you consider who those wins were against, they wouldn't worry me. The Saints are still in there, but they are a shell of the team that kicked our butts in week 1.
Thanks. Yeah I wouldn't be worried about either. I'm surprised the Eagles have won 6 straight. (I think they have 3 first round picks next year.....) And I was shocked that Miami has won, I think, 7 in a row. They went from 1-7 to 8-7. Now that's a turnaround. But I don't see them doing much damage in the AFC IF they make the playoffs.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just hope the Vikings come out and lose. ;)
I really hope the Packers from earlier in the season show up and put the Queens away early and for good. This has to be it for Zimmer. They have a lot of talent on that team. They would worry me in the playoffs. Hell they worry me this Sunday. Playing the Packers is their SB. They'd love a sweep as a consolation prize. That cannot happen, and won't.

Reaction score
Getting back to that Browns game we just played.

If anyone watching that game has a heart, that game belong to the Browns.

They played well enough to win, and without those 4 interceptions, that score
would have been different.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah I wouldn't be worried about either. I'm surprised the Eagles have won 6 straight. (I think they have 3 first round picks next year.....) And I was shocked that Miami has won, I think, 7 in a row. They went from 1-7 to 8-7. Now that's a turnaround. But I don't see them doing much damage in the AFC IF they make the playoffs.

Both of these organizations have built and managed for a rebuild and push very well IMO. The Eagles I think could really be a big time threat in a year or two, that's if that city doesn't destroy the players or team before they can succeed LOL

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
They played well enough to win, and without those 4 interceptions, that score
would have been different.
Without the Packers scoring all those TD's the score would have been different too ;)

Half my family are Brown and Buckeye fans, so I chat with them often about the Browns. The Browns have a ton of talent and actually could be a much better team, but they always seem to find ways to shoot themselves in the foot and lose games. That game was no different. If Mayfield had played like an average QB, you are right, the Browns probably win that game or find another way to lose it.

With all that said, I think our Packers tend to play to the level of their opponent. Which isn't a good thing when you are 12-3. MLF and Joe Berry need to keep the foot on pedal and learn how to put these kinds of games away for good.

Reaction score
With all that said, I think our Packers tend to play to the level of their opponent. Which isn't a good thing when you are 12-3. MLF and Joe Berry need to keep the foot on pedal and learn how to put these kinds of games away for good.
I see you notice that too.
They seem to "feel out" how their opponent comes out swinging, then adjust their game plan.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both of these organizations have built and managed for a rebuild and push very well IMO. The Eagles I think could really be a big time threat in a year or two, that's if that city doesn't destroy the players or team before they can succeed LOL
I still don't know why Philly collapsed after their last SB win. Part of it was realizing late that Wentz wasn't coming back (well, not in Philly). But that SB team had one incredible D. And I thought Pederson was a very good HC. I agree they could become a very good team in the next few years, assuming they bring in the right coaching staff, and yeah, if the City of Brotherly Love doesn't rain hate down on them. I have a good friend who is a passionate Iggles fan. He's also constantly frustrated.