STL Game Notes: Offense / ST

H

HardRightEdge

Finley: Looked terrific on those catch and run plays; a bit quicker and more fluid than last year. The Rams did not focus on him and were biting on the play action; it looks like teams that repeat that approach will pay this season. Lacy could be the best thing that's happened to him. On a sour note, he got caught for a hold though the call looked a little ticky-tacky...his hands were on the numbers which usually doesn't get called.

Lacey: Houston, we have a running back. He even broke out the spin move on a screen leaving a defender hanging. Just when he looked like he might be losing some steam, he ripped off another nice gain. I don't think Harris is MM's starter anymore. He made our zone blocking look good.

Rodgers: Jones dropped a skinny post that would have gone for a first down. Next play Rodgers went right back to Jones on the same route...for the first down. Looks like leadership to me.

Boykin: He had one nice route/catch/move for a big gain and another short catch...two for two on targets. Then he was pulled like a starter, which he probably is in Cobb's and Nelson's absence, which makes him the #4 barring something extraordinary.

Kickers: Tervecchio missed his 49 yarder; Crosby made his 48 yarder and snuck in that blocked kick which did not appear to be a slow or low kick. T. did well on KOs and I'd give him the edge in that department.

D.J. Williams: Whiffed on a run block in short yardage. Dropped a ball going down the seam after being defended at the goal line on a seam route in the first series. He's on the bubble.

Bostick: Looked good on a couple of short passes. If Williams is not going to make his plays down field, which he's had problems with since he's arrived, we're better off with Bostick.

Ross: He had a decent 10 yd. punt return before getting stoned, but missed a block on an under route on 3rd. and 11. One catch for one yard. Ho hum.

Bakhtiari: Gave up the one sack to Quinn on a nice inside move and had one false start. Nonetheless, he's proving again that he's already an upgrade from Newhouse and he should get better. He'll have his rookie moments and we'll be happy to live with them.

O-Line: The starters had a nice game. Rodgers didn't get a lot of pressure, and Lacy was finding some room.

Backup Running Backs: Starks looked pretty bad tonight. He didn't get much going on the ground (behind the second team O-Line), fumbled and dodged a pass block. Franklin continues to fail to impress in preseason. Green had a nice gainer on a run and again on an outlet throw that might have been a designed screen. Watching the catch and run you see what the Packers liked about him...he may be the most dangerous weapon we have in space after Cobb; he's just not an effective runner when he can't get clean to the second level which means he's not an effective NFL runner. Assuming Harris will be healthy, the #3 (and #4 if we have one) running back slots are still up for grabs.

Myles White: 5 catches on 9 targets which could have been 7 catches for a lot more yards if not for Vince Young (see VY notes below). He runs nice routes, looks gritty over the middle, and showed the 4.40 speed on the field. He beat his man another time and drew a defensive hold for some icing on the cake. He made a strong play for a spot.

Vince Young: He looked pretty bad. He's slow reading his progressions and slow in his release (which are two sides of the same coin), then breaks down mechanically to compensate. On his first pass of the game, White had two steps on the D up the middle of the field and into the end zone, Vince recognized it late, knew he was late, and broke down into an ugly flick release to compensate. Later, White had a step on his man into the corner, Young threw late again and in a bad spot. Vince Young ran for a 1st. down...if you think that's a priority then Vince is your man. I'll pass. Thinking you can "fix" a 30 year old QB borders on hubris.

Harrell: He comes out for first snap, gets a close-up, and he's fumbling around with his chin snap like he's never put a helmet on before. I'm thinking WTF, is he going to get a delay of game? Then he takes the snap, jammed the pass into coverage and nearly gets picked...saved by interference. It got a little better from there. He's still holding the #2 spot.

Coleman: Just inconsistent. Perfect throws in tight spots mixed with double clutches into the ether or the dirt. The pitch and catch to Stoneburner for the TD was what we want to more of. He looked better than last week to be sure.

Walker: He was defended on a comebacker then had a borderline drop. He came back with nice 15 yarder shaking off defender contact. Not as impressive as last week, but in the hunt for a #5 or #6 spot.

Last edited by a moderator:

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Only thing I disagree with is Sergio's KO advantage, still a low line drive. Lets also not forget that Crosby also made that 50+, even if it may well be too little too late.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only thing I disagree with is Sergio's KO advantage, still a low line drive. Lets also not forget that Crosby also made that 50+, even if it may well be too little too late.

Agreed, except I don't think it's too little too late. If he can keep it up in the next 2 games, he'll be in good shape. He looked more confident and relaxed tonight than I've seen him in a long time. Tavecchio looked a bit shaken to me after his miss.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Agreed, except I don't think it's too little too late. If he can keep it up in the next 2 games, he'll be in good shape. He looked more confident and relaxed tonight than I've seen him in a long time. Tavecchio looked a bit shaken to me after his miss.

"Sergio" gets no respect. Anybody notice when they flashed his profile on the screen is said "Eastern Illinois" and the announcers didn't know to correct it.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
"Sergio" gets no respect. Anybody notice when they flashed his profile on the screen is said "Eastern Illinois" and the announcers didn't know to correct it.
I did, but I brushed it off as incompetence from the broadcasters. They had already called Walker a TE, and mispronounced so many names that I had written off the entire crew as useless idiots.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finley: Looked terrific on those catch and run plays; a bit quicker and more fluid than last year. The Rams did not focus on him and were biting on the play action; it looks like teams that repeat that approach will pay this season. Lacy could be the best thing that's happened to him. On a sour note, he got caught for a hold though the call looked a little ticky-tacky...his hands were on the numbers which usually doesn't get called.

I'd go one beyond ticky-tacky and call it bogus. Looked like any routine block and it took away a big gain for Lacy. In my book Lacy rushed 9 times for 51 yard :)

Lacey: Houston, we have a running back. He even broke out the spin move on a screen leaving a defender hanging. Just when he looked like he might be losing some steam, he ripped off another nice gain. I don't think Harris is MM's starter anymore. He made our zone blocking look good.

So far he's proving all the draft prognosticators wrong. Could be a future Packer HOFer.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Ross wasn`t THAT bad !! I`d sooner see him getting the snot banged out of him on returns than Cobb. If Cobb gets hurt then we HAVE got a problem.
And I formally withdraw my comments about JMF too. Last night he was a true star.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Announcers on the Packer network broadcast showed Fins hold in slow mo..I too thought it was a tacky call

I am not an expert but he did grab and Rich Gannon stated that the refs will call that all the time.

Just shows how different people view things

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RB's
Lacy played a really good game. He had some really nice moves and showed his power. He is probably the number 1 back (at least for now). I liked Green as well. He had some nice runs. Green has to show more to secure a roster spot, but this was the first time a saw this guy actually making some nice moves. Green might be in the running for the 3rd down role (although, he has to beat Harris). I think Franklin played rather disappointing. He wasn't going anywhere. Starks had one nice run, but his fumble was he a really stupid one. He tried to do too much. I like Starks as running back, but ball security definitely is a big issue here.

TE's
Finley looked good. Bostick played nice as well. D.J. Williams had one bad drop.

WR's
I am not really impressed by the potential candidates for the 5th receiver spot. Walker was invisible. Ross doesn't have a great camp, and didn't play a great game. White made some plays, and Gillett caught a couple. My bet would be that Walker will be WR5.

O-Line
Bakthiari a false start and was beaten for a sack. Overall he still had a decent game for a rookie LT. Lane Taylor wasn't playing well and had one really stupid penalty.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
RB's
Lacy played a really good game. He had some really nice moves and showed his power. He is probably the number 1 back (at least for now). I liked Green as well. He had some nice runs. Green has to show more to secure a roster spot, but this was the first time a saw this guy actually making some nice moves. Green might be in the running for the 3rd down role (although, he has to beat Harris). I think Franklin played rather disappointing. He wasn't going anywhere. Starks had one nice run, but his fumble was he a really stupid one. He tried to do too much. I like Starks as running back, but ball security definitely is a big issue here.
Actually, while he may be competing with Harris (and Kuhn) for a roster spot, Green and Franklin are competing for the 3rd down role. Once upon a time Green was a very similar player to Franklin, though less talented.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, while he may be competing with Harris (and Kuhn) for a roster spot, Green and Franklin are competing for the 3rd down role. Once upon a time Green was a very similar player to Franklin, though less talented.

I also see Franklin as the 3rd round back of the future, but I think he has to improve his pass blocking first to be considered for this role. Therefore I think that Harris and Green are competing for this role, at least for now. Green might have an edge on his blocking (although Harris is a decent pass blocker as well), but Harris is the better runner. So we will see how this works out. Actually to win the 3rd down role, Green has to win a roster spot first.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Ross wasn`t THAT bad !! I`d sooner see him getting the snot banged out of him on returns than Cobb. If Cobb gets hurt then we HAVE got a problem.
And I formally withdraw my comments about JMF too. Last night he was a true star.
Where did I say Ross was "bad"? My exact words were "ho hum".

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Can anybody make an argument for Franklin based on these preseason games? He looks deer-in-the-headlights tentative and has been unimpressive after contact. Somebody please tell me UCLA doesn't run zone blocking, otherwise this could be a bust pick.

12theTruth

Can anybody make an argument for Franklin based on these preseason games? He looks deer-in-the-headlights tentative and has been unimpressive after contact. Somebody please tell me UCLA doesn't run zone blocking, otherwise this could be a bust pick.

True, but Thompson traded two picks to get him. They'll give him every opportunity. Practice squad at the worst.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Two preseason games and a guy is a bust all ready? Aaron Rodgers also looked terrible his rookie camp and I remember fans complaining that TT wasted a first round pick.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Just as calling a bust this soon, drooling over Lacy from 4 or 5 runs is just as bad

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I also see Franklin as the 3rd round back of the future, but I think he has to improve his pass blocking first to be considered for this role. Therefore I think that Harris and Green are competing for this role, at least for now. Green might have an edge on his blocking (although Harris is a decent pass blocker as well), but Harris is the better runner. So we will see how this works out. Actually to win the 3rd down role, Green has to win a roster spot first.
Harris isn't a 3rd down back. He's a change of pace (COP) back. Green and Franklin are space players, and that makes them 3rd down backs. Green has to make the roster, and Franklin needs to block better. Green was Franklin before we drafted Franklin. Green has more blocking reps and gained some muscle weight; Franklin is more explosive with a much higher ceiling. Other than that they are essentially the same player.

Last edited:

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
UCLA runs a drive. He has to learn to find the lanes. Like Green, he's a guy who does the most damage in space.
True, but Thompson traded two picks to get him. They'll give him every opportunity. Practice squad at the worst.
He'll never make PS, some team is guaranteed to claim him off waivers.

Members online

Latest posts