Steeler Fans Visitors! Why do you believe Steelers win?

chucktownsteeler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Experiance in the big game is the deciding factor. Both teams are very, very good and also very similar in talent.

The huge deciding facotr is experiance. Until you play in the "Big game" nothing can prepare you for it.

Experiance both to the Steeler palyers as well as the coaching staff.

However, the Packers have had a great season and should be proud. Good job, pack!

Steelers 36

Packers 17

ChucktownSteeler

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Experiance in the big game is the deciding factor. Both teams are very, very good and also very similar in talent.

The huge deciding facotr is experiance. Until you play in the "Big game" nothing can prepare you for it.

However, the Packers have had a great season and should be proud. Good job, pack!

Steelers 36

Packers 17

ChucktownSteeler

What about the 2007 Giants, 97 Packers, & the 2005 Steelers? Where was the huge edge there?

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am getting the impression that Steelers Fans are convincing themselves that their team's experience has pretty much guaranteed them this game, kinda one-dimensional thought process...no?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Steelers 36

Packers 17

ChucktownSteeler

We have disputed this many times

Saints vs Colts

Pats vs Giants

Rams vs Pats

Broncos vs Packers

Experience didnt help them

Bill From Hanover

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think experience will be a factor here. Steelers have been there and done that, the Pack is young and do not have the SB Experience, to many distractions for the first time out of the gate.

This will be an amazing game, but we have the advantage with experience.

bubbahotep

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think experience will be a factor here. Steelers have been there and done that, the Pack is young and do not have the SB Experience, to many distractions for the first time out of the gate.

This theory has been discussed, besides, this time of year, every game is a team's superbowl, and Green Bay has won 5 in a row, including a game that had nearly Superbowl hype around it. Experience isn't going to matter.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think where the Super Bowl experience (or inexperience, for our team) comes in to play is with stuff like this stupid team photo drama. A team with SB experience probably wouldn't have let that kind of thing happen, or they would've told Barnett to keep his freakn mouth shut before he proved himself to be a total twittiot. As far as the actual game goes, I can't see where past experience makes any difference. Every player you hear from when they talk about their first SB; despite all the hoopla in the two weeks leading up to the game, after the opening kickoff all that other crap is gone and you are 100% focused on the game.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

I guess you missed my post right before yours?

New Orleans vs the Colts?

Giants vs the Pats?

I guess experience helped the Colts and Pats

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think where the Super Bowl experience (or inexperience, for our team) comes in to play is with stuff like this stupid team photo drama. A team with SB experience probably wouldn't have let that kind of thing happen, or they would've told Barnett to keep his freakn mouth shut before he proved himself to be a total twittiot. As far as the actual game goes, I can't see where past experience makes any difference. Every player you hear from when they talk about their first SB; despite all the hoopla in the two weeks leading up to the game, after the opening kickoff all that other crap is gone and you are 100% focused on the game.

Exactly, what the hell does SUPERBOWL experience gotta do with running plays, playing FOOTBALL, & coaching? seriously that's a real question, I would like to know what your answers are

pittguy578

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Steelers 36

Packers 17

ChucktownSteeler

I am a Steelers fan, and I think the whole experience argument is a non-issue, especially when you have a calm QB like Rodgers that doesn't appear to get rattled..or get to excited.. If there is one QB that appears to be an Iceman..it's Rodgers. I don't think other positions are necessarily affected much by big game pressure..O line play is O Line play..Linebackers just have to run and tackle, etc.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Yeah, because my defense was not in utter shambles last year.

I was only responding to your post where you pointed out that Ben had a "5-bill" on us last year. I simply commented that the Packer defense is much improved and he will be unlikely to do so again.

I wasn't questioning your defense, sir.

Oh, that ****** stuff cuts me deep. ...Would you like to continue?

Calm down, no need to bite my head off. I didn't mention anything about ****, just agreed with you that Ben should be used to bright lights (I added, "...police lights") by now.

If you noticed in my post, it was obviously a light joke with a smilie immediately followed by the sentence:

"Seriously, I agree that past SB experience will bring a significant advantage to the Steelers."

Hypocycloid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll give it a shot . . .

Conventional wisdom says the Steelers are vulnerable to being spread out and thrown on with quick short passes. This strategy neutralizes the pass rush and exploits weaknesses in coverage. The best passing team (statistically #10 overall) the Steelers faced this year was the Saints and the Steelers lost 20-10. Conditions were very much like the Super Bowl will be, indoors on a fast track with no weather considerations.

Brees was remarkably efficient with the ball, finishing 34 of 44 for 305 yards, 2 touchdowns, one interception and a rating of 101. He completed passes to 10 different guys with a yards per attempt average of 6.3. That 6.3 YPA was right on the Steelers' average which actually led the league in that stat. Furthermore, Pittsburgh allowed the second-lowest quarterback rating all season. It was also one of only three teams to force more interceptions than the number of touchdowns that it allowed.

The Saints had no success running the ball, even though they tried 21 times. Despite the lack of success on the ground, the Saints dominated TOP 34:06 to 25:54.

So, it sounds like the Packers could duplicate this formula and win going away. However, a closer look reveals it might not be so easy. First, despite the lopsided statistics, the Saints only scored 20 points. In fact, the score was 13-10 with 10:48 left. Momentum seemed to be the Steelers' side after a strip sack fumble recovery, but when Heath Miller fumbled on the Steelers' ensuing possession, the Saints put the game away. I think the Steelers would feel comfortable giving up 20 points to the Packers.

The Steelers ran the ball effectively in this game, and based on the statistical predictors for the Super Bowl, they should be able to do as good or better than their 21 attempts for 108 yards they racked up against the Saints. The Steelers failed to score from inside the one yard line after a TD pass to Randle El was overturned. I have to think if the Steelers had to do it over again, their play selection on those 3 plays would be different and they score. Even with Pouncey out, I'll go on record as predicting more than 21 rushing attempts, probably 30, with a yards per attempt right around what Green Bay gives up for around 140 yards. That will be enough to even out the TOP battle, if not tilt it in the Steelers' favor. That means 1 or 2 less possessions for the Packers, and less attempts for ARod.

The danger in spreading the Steelers defense out is this strategy increases the possibility of pressure on the QB. I know Aaron Rodgers is known for his ability to escape the pocket and make throws on the run and even run the ball a bit, but he's not done it against this type of defense. Even though the Packers play a 3-4, most of their opponents don't, which means they haven't practiced much against it and have not faced a defense as complex as LeBeau's. The Steelers faced the 4th most pass attempts but were 12th in yards allowed, which is pretty good. They faced so many pass attempts because teams abandon the run early. If this pattern repeats itself in the Super Bowl (and there is no reason to think it won't, because for the purpose of this discussion we are inferring Green Bay will spread the Steelers out and focus on quick passes) then defending the pass becomes much easier to do, and will allow blitzes to come from different positions at different times from multiple looks. The Polamalu factor will emerge.

I like the Steelers 20-17.

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll give it a shot . . .

Conventional wisdom says the Steelers are vulnerable to being spread out and thrown on with quick short passes. This strategy neutralizes the pass rush and exploits weaknesses in coverage. The best passing team (statistically #10 overall) the Steelers faced this year was the Saints and the Steelers lost 20-10. Conditions were very much like the Super Bowl will be, indoors on a fast track with no weather considerations.

Brees was remarkably efficient with the ball, finishing 34 of 44 for 305 yards, 2 touchdowns, one interception and a rating of 101. He completed passes to 10 different guys with a yards per attempt average of 6.3. That 6.3 YPA was right on the Steelers' average which actually led the league in that stat. Furthermore, Pittsburgh allowed the second-lowest quarterback rating all season. It was also one of only three teams to force more interceptions than the number of touchdowns that it allowed.

The Saints had no success running the ball, even though they tried 21 times. Despite the lack of success on the ground, the Saints dominated TOP 34:06 to 25:54.

So, it sounds like the Packers could duplicate this formula and win going away. However, a closer look reveals it might not be so easy. First, despite the lopsided statistics, the Saints only scored 20 points. In fact, the score was 13-10 with 10:48 left. Momentum seemed to be the Steelers' side after a strip sack fumble recovery, but when Heath Miller fumbled on the Steelers' ensuing possession, the Saints put the game away. I think the Steelers would feel comfortable giving up 20 points to the Packers.

The Steelers ran the ball effectively in this game, and based on the statistical predictors for the Super Bowl, they should be able to do as good or better than their 21 attempts for 108 yards they racked up against the Saints. The Steelers failed to score from inside the one yard line after a TD pass to Randle El was overturned. I have to think if the Steelers had to do it over again, their play selection on those 3 plays would be different and they score. Even with Pouncey out, I'll go on record as predicting more than 21 rushing attempts, probably 30, with a yards per attempt right around what Green Bay gives up for around 140 yards. That will be enough to even out the TOP battle, if not tilt it in the Steelers' favor. That means 1 or 2 less possessions for the Packers, and less attempts for ARod.

The danger in spreading the Steelers defense out is this strategy increases the possibility of pressure on the QB. I know Aaron Rodgers is known for his ability to escape the pocket and make throws on the run and even run the ball a bit, but he's not done it against this type of defense. Even though the Packers play a 3-4, most of their opponents don't, which means they haven't practiced much against it and have not faced a defense as complex as LeBeau's. The Steelers faced the 4th most pass attempts but were 12th in yards allowed, which is pretty good. They faced so many pass attempts because teams abandon the run early. If this pattern repeats itself in the Super Bowl (and there is no reason to think it won't, because for the purpose of this discussion we are inferring Green Bay will spread the Steelers out and focus on quick passes) then defending the pass becomes much easier to do, and will allow blitzes to come from different positions at different times from multiple looks. The Polamalu factor will emerge.

who's better

Lesean McCoy or Mendenhall
Turner or Mendenhall
Forte or Mendenhall
Bradshaw or Mendenhall
Jacobs or Mendenhall

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

The danger in spreading the Steelers defense out is this strategy increases the possibility of pressure on the QB. I know Aaron Rodgers is known for his ability to escape the pocket and make throws on the run and even run the ball a bit, but he's not done it against this type of defense. Even though the Packers play a 3-4, most of their opponents don't, which means they haven't practiced much against it and have not faced a defense as complex as LeBeau's.

Did you know that in the 3 playoff games our D allowed 209 yards rushing..thats 69 yards per game..

NFL Stats: by Team Category

so keep thinking that our run D gives up over 140 yards per game cuz it suits your argument...

I would be more surprised if the Steelers can run wild..

We allowed 51 total points in the post season in 3 games..17 a game..and thats vs 3 of the top 10 offenses in the league

I am so surprised the Steeler fans are dismissing our D so much..This will be fun to see your faces if we can shut down your team

I am not dismissing any part of your team at all..But majority of the Steeler fans HERE are so over confident and ignorant to our team its unbelievable

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm really starting to love hearing how the Packers haven't faced a defense like the Steelers' this year. Please. You do realize that the Steelers haven't faced a defense like Green Bay's this season either, right? So who are you trying to convince? Us? Or you? We're confident enough in our defense that you don't see us wasting our breath trying to convince you how good our D is. We know how good our D is. Keep telling us how you'll run all over our D and hammer our O all day long. Just keep on talking. We know what we have. We're confident in what we have.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very good post, Bozz.

BTW, Steeler poster says "Pittsburgh allowed the second-lowest quarterback rating all season. It was also one of only three teams to force more interceptions than the number of touchdowns that it allowed."

He knows that the Packers allowed the lowest QB rating in 2010 (67.23 to 73.78 for the Steelers) . He knows the Packers had 8 more interceptions than passing TDs compared to his teams 5.

I agree that pass defense and pass offense will decide this game. Both are in Green Bay's favor.

Hypocycloid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you know that in the 3 playoff games our D allowed 209 yards rushing..thats 69 yards per game..

so keep thinking that our run D gives up over 140 yards per game cuz it suits your argument...

I would be more surprised if the Steelers can run wild..

We allowed 51 total points in the post season in 3 games..17 a game..and thats vs 3 of the top 10 offenses in the league

I am so surprised the Steeler fans are dismissing our D so much..This will be fun to see your faces if we can shut down your team

I am not dismissing any part of your team at all..But majority of the Steeler fans HERE are so over confident and ignorant to our team its unbelievable

What's your point? Both Philly and Atlanta never really tried to run. Forte ran for a respectable 70 yards on 17 carries. He also caught 10 balls for 90 yards. The Green Bay defense let Caleb Hanie complete 65% of his passes for a 7.75 YPA. Not sure where the confidence in the Packers comes from, based on the NFCCG. Chicago was in that game until near the end, with their 3rd QB. Rodgers wasn't exactly lights out in that game, as he had been in the two previous. His best play was the tackle on Urlacher -- he doesn't make the tackle and it is a whole different ballgame. Tremendous call by Capers to have Raji drop into coverage, but do you think Cutler throws that pick? Not sure.

I'm not overconfident or ignorant. The thread title asks for an opinion as to how the Steelers could win. Predicting a 20-17 Steeler win isn't exactly out of the realm of possibility.

Hypocycloid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm really starting to love hearing how the Packers haven't faced a defense like the Steelers' this year. Please. You do realize that the Steelers haven't faced a defense like Green Bay's this season either, right? So who are you trying to convince? Us? Or you? We're confident enough in our defense that you don't see us wasting our breath trying to convince you how good our D is. We know how good our D is. Keep telling us how you'll run all over our D and hammer our O all day long. Just keep on talking. We know what we have. We're confident in what we have.

The point is not the quality of defense per se, but the style. Green Bay has a tremendous defense, with the one weakness being run defense (#28; 4.6 YPA). The Steelers have faced a tough 3-4 scheme before and had some success. My point was if conventional wisdom is to attack the Steelers defensive weakness, it may not be as easy as it seems, with one of the considerations being the uncertainty that can develop in the QB's mind based on what he sees pre-snap and what actually unfolds. I wouldn't make my team one-dimensional on purpose, as many prognosticators seem to be recommending.

If the Packers establish some sort of running game, and can then utilize some play actions and mix in some screens, it will be a long day for the Steelers. However, if the Packers either give up on the run, or don't try to establish it at all, as some are suggesting they do, the match-up problems for the Steelers secondary may be mitigated by the pass rush and confusion the zone blitz can create.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
What's your point? Both Philly and Atlanta never really tried to run. Forte ran for a respectable 70 yards on 17 carries. He also caught 10 balls for 90 yards. The Green Bay defense let Caleb Hanie complete 65% of his passes for a 7.75 YPA. Not sure where the confidence in the Packers comes from, based on the NFCCG. Chicago was in that game until near the end, with their 3rd QB.

Rodgers wasn't exactly lights out in that game, as he had been in the two previous. His best play was the tackle on Urlacher -- he doesn't make the tackle and it is a whole different ballgame. Tremendous call by Capers to have Raji drop into coverage, but do you think Cutler throws that pick? Not sure.

I'm not overconfident or ignorant. The thread title asks for an opinion as to how the Steelers could win. Predicting a 20-17 Steeler win isn't exactly out of the realm of possibility.

Rodgers has issues vs the Bears D...I hate it but he does..Go look at his stats from the 7 games..He averages 1 td to about .75 ints per game..so thats why he looked to struggle vs the Bears..that and he hurt his shjoulder on the 1st drive..

I said dont use the season stats on D rushing allowed cuz it isnt how they are now..Which is they are allowing only 70 yards per game..You want to still think they are going to give up 140 per game, go for it..But All I am saying is you shouldnt look to the reg season stat for our D performances..I would look at the last 5 games in total..Those were "technically" playoff games

and the reason why Philly or Atlanta couldnt run so much?? Maybe cuz the Packers were controlling the clock,. OR up by so much runs were not going to get them to win?

Who knows if Cutler makes that throw? but he would make a throw for an int to seal our victory in week 17..And that Raji play? 1st time ALL year they ran that D play...

Steelers can win..Absolutely..They can have a fantastic game and shut us out..I dont deny that

But you Steeler fans are giving off the vibe that no way no how do the Packers win..

The thought isnt even an option, then some have made ridiculous posts that are either ignorant, or trolls

so forgive me and others when we get on the defensive, cuz that was brought upon by your fellow Steeler fans

And Forte? He is only one that did anything...

Sure a 3rd stringer almost did something..But didnt..In fact Ryan, Vick didnt either..Dont you see the pattern?

Just do not think our D is weak, might just make your jaw drop if we can do what I think we are capable of

BadKarma

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has issues vs the Bears D...I hate it but he does..Go look at his stats from the 7 games..He averages 1 td to about .75 ints per game..so thats why he looked to struggle vs the Bears..that and he hurt his shjoulder on the 1st drive..

I said dont use the season stats on D rushing allowed cuz it isnt how they are now..Which is they are allowing only 70 yards per game..You want to still think they are going to give up 140 per game, go for it..But All I am saying is you shouldnt look to the reg season stat for our D performances..I would look at the last 5 games in total..Those were "technically" playoff games

and the reason why Philly or Atlanta couldnt run so much?? Maybe cuz the Packers were controlling the clock,. OR up by so much runs were not going to get them to win?

Who knows if Cutler makes that throw? but he would make a throw for an int to seal our victory in week 17..And that Raji play? 1st time ALL year they ran that D play...

Steelers can win..Absolutely..They can have a fantastic game and shut us out..I dont deny that

But you Steeler fans are giving off the vibe that no way no how do the Packers win..

The thought isnt even an option, then some have made ridiculous posts that are either ignorant, or trolls

so forgive me and others when we get on the defensive, cuz that was brought upon by your fellow Steeler fans
Both the Steelers and the Packers went into their Championship games playing lights out... then both went into prevent defense in the 2nd half letting the other guys play catch up. Nothing ever good comes from that. Both teams will need to play all 4 quarters against each other during the Super Bowl.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll go on record as predicting more than 21 rushing attempts, probably 30, with a yards per attempt right around what Green Bay gives up for around 140 yards. .

BTW?

1838 yards rushing for the season

16 games

115 yards per game..

Not sure where you got that 140 from..but the 140 didnt make sense to me, so I dbl checked...140 per game would be almost 2300 yards for season

Green Bay Packers Stats at NFL.com

Unless your saying the Steelers will GET 140 yards rushing?

If so hats off if they do, then they will win

but during post season its 3.5 yards per carry

so thats 40 carries for Pitt to get to 140

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers are better statistically against the pass and better statistically passing. If this holds true, we win.

chucktownsteeler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Experiance in the big game will be the deciding factor.

The Packers are a great team, but how will they fare in their first Super Bowl as a team? How will the coaches fare?

Experiance is the biggest factor here.

Members online

Latest posts