Steeler Fans Visitors! Why do you believe Steelers win?

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just want to know what your thoughts are about the Superbowl matchup...why do you feel your team will win?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is something wrong with that picture.
"Titletown" is plural.
There is one and only one title town and that is Green Bay.
No way no how Armpittsblaugh is title town no matter how many SBs they have won.
They do not deserve our rightful moniker!

The NFL has it wrong.

pghkev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just want to know what your thoughts are about the Superbowl matchup...why do you feel your team will win?

Being a Steelers fan, I'll give it a shot. What is curious to me is the overwhelming belief from both Titletown and the National Media that it will be Green Bay hoisting the Lombardi on Feb. 6. I'm a little confused why people look at Pittsburgh as an underdog in this game. FYI, the Steelers have some great players on their side, not good, great. I'm not positive that the Steelers are going to win, because if I was, I would be a millionare living in Vegas. But before you all start congratulating yourselves remember this: Atlanta, Philly or Chicago, none of them had a clutch QB like Ben. None of them had an all time great safety like Troy. If you guys think those three teams had great defenses, they are like the JV squad when compared to Pittsburgh. I am excited about the game and hope for an all time classic.

On a side note, I have to say that I am a bit disappointed in what I am reading from Packers fans on this site. There seems to be a complete lack of respect for the Steelers team, the city of Pittsburgh, the legacy of the terrible towel and the great fans of Steeler nation. I would think that the one fan base that would appreciate what the Steelers mean to the NFL would be Packers fans, but I guess I was wrong. I know a few loudmouths don't represent the entire fan base and that internet message boards bring out the loons (I see it at Steelers sites as well). Oh well, my two cents. GOOD luck to the Pack and may the best team win!

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not a Steelers fan but I can answer that question. They think their team will win for the same reason we think the Packers are going to win. They have faith and love for their team ever as we do.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score

Being a Steelers fan, I'll give it a shot. What is curious to me is the overwhelming belief from both Titletown and the National Media that it will be Green Bay hoisting the Lombardi on Feb. 6. I'm a little confused why people look at Pittsburgh as an underdog in this game. FYI, the Steelers have some great players on their side, not good, great. I'm not positive that the Steelers are going to win, because if I was, I would be a millionare living in Vegas. But before you all start congratulating yourselves remember this: Atlanta, Philly or Chicago, none of them had a clutch QB like Ben. None of them had an all time great safety like Troy. If you guys think those three teams had great defenses, they are like the JV squad when compared to Pittsburgh. I am excited about the game and hope for an all time classic.

On a side note, I have to say that I am a bit disappointed in what I am reading from Packers fans on this site. There seems to be a complete lack of respect for the Steelers team, the city of Pittsburgh, the legacy of the terrible towel and the great fans of Steeler nation. I would think that the one fan base that would appreciate what the Steelers mean to the NFL would be Packers fans, but I guess I was wrong. I know a few loudmouths don't represent the entire fan base and that internet message boards bring out the loons (I see it at Steelers sites as well). Oh well, my two cents. GOOD luck to the Pack and may the best team win!
I'll try to answer your questions in kind.
Titletown and Packer nation believes they will win because we are very darned good and we are fans, just like Steeler Nation thinks they will win. As for the national media, I dunno, gotta ask them, obviously alot of them are previous NFL players but equally just journalists, must be something they like, they look foolish if they put their reps out there to predict one team and they get embarrassed. Like weathermen, they want to be right if they can. They keep scores on "experts" picks throughout the season, they want bragging rights too.
OK, Steelers have some great rather than good players, you don't think Rodgers, Woodson, Jennings, Matthews, Clifton, Williams, Collins are great?
No clutch QB? Vick was in the talk about MVP, Matt Ryan is "Matty Ice" and Jay Cutler is inconsistent, but when he's on he's fookin good right?
So you have Troy, we have Charles Freakin' Woodson, last year's DPOY and possibly this year's DPOY in Matthews. I just don't see how you're ahead in this regard.
As for lack of respect, I'm completely confused, as in we should be "scared" of your team? I can't speak for everybody here, but I think in general "Titletown" and "PackerNation" respects the heck out of your city and it's team. I don't think it's a large jump to think our fans and our "blue collar" way of life and our teams are very similar. I can tell you that personally I would have rather seen any other team from the AFC, you guys started out NFL so you're in reality NFC that's now AFC, hey, we respect your fan base, your team and your heritage.
Last, that statement about the Terrible Towel is utterly nonsense. Nobody talks about it here because it's a non-issue. Are we supposed to admire it?
Finally, while many teams are owned by millionaire egomaniacs, I think everybody in football admires the Rooneys and how they are the model owners in the NFL. The only one better of course is the Green Bay Packers, owned by the fans themselves.
Here's the last item: I think our team can beat any team in the NFL on any given Sunday on a neutral field. But you're looking past what the Packers have done, they've gone from a 6th seed to the Super Bowl and if you don't "respect" that I don't know what it would take to get your respect. It goes both ways brother.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On a side note, I have to say that I am a bit disappointed in what I am reading from Packers fans on this site. There seems to be a complete lack of respect for the Steelers team, the city of Pittsburgh, the legacy of the terrible towel and the great fans of Steeler nation. I would think that the one fan base that would appreciate what the Steelers mean to the NFL would be Packers fans, but I guess I was wrong.
Hellooooooooo!!!
Your on a rival team's site which just happens to represent a team playing against yours.
Are we all supposed to all join hands and sing "Ring around the Rosey" as if nothing is going on?
The only fan base who will all appreciate the Steelers are the Steelers fans themselves. Duuuuhh!
And the majority that I've seen for "lack of respect" towards the Steelers, including myself, on here is mostly towards Ben Rapistbooger.
Other than that there is tons of respect I've seen Packers posters express towards the Steelers. Many of them are happy with this match up.
As for myself, I still wish it had been the Jets since I hate the Steelers.

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no one I'd rather beat then the Steelers, like Yankee fans (I'm a yankee fan) I totally get how annoying it gets when we lose and we start defending it with the 27 World Championship thing...I get it...tell ya what, I don't want to hear that from Steelers fans and I'm VERY HAPPY we get to face the Steelers for a chance to rip one out of their grasp...GONNA BE A GREAT GAME

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Originally posted by pghkev

Let me speak for myself and myself only,

Great players on the Packers, you don't think there is any? LOL I don't have to name any names, they are superstars

I'm not congratulating myself, I don't think any Packers fan is, I think as Packers fans we are excited as hell we get to face the Steelers the only team that I'd want to face b/c it would be that much more gratifying to win a Superbowl against the Steelers

JV Squad Defense, not the first time I've heard this comparison before, guess what? all those defenses you've faced..got nothing on ours

Lack of respect? not respecting the terrible towel? personally, I think waving a towel around your head during a game kinda looks a little sill, just my opinion

Steeler Nation, not at all, but you won't see me registering on your forum to post my opinions all over your board, I'll read your board, but I have ZERO interest in posting on your board...Steeler Nation has MANY fans, so do we

I could care less about appreciating the Steelers, all I want to do is beat that Team, that's all, I'll appreciate them if they beat us, but I am not going to shower my praises over a team I want to see get crushed, just my opinion

BlackNGold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's going to be a good game, but I'll tell you exactly why Pittsburgh will own 7 Lombardi trophies when it's over.

The Packers do not have a running game. If you do not have a balanced offense and some threat of a running game, the Steelers defense will eat you up (with the exception of New England, they are the only team who is one dimensional that routinely gives us fits). The Packers offense is predictable, and the Steelers D is going to make things very difficult for Rodgers. He had a big day last year, but it was against an injury marred Pittsburgh D. It's completely different with number 43 in there, and our secondary is overall better than in 2009.

Pittsburgh's running game is also greatly improved over last season, as well as the offensive line. We beat the same Packers team in 2009 (barely), as a 9-7 team. I expect a much improved Steelers team to be able to control the ball and keep the dangerous Packer offense on the sidelines watching.

I don't think it's going to be a high scoring game, and I do believe it will be close. At the end of the day though, the Steelers are just the better team. The Packers will be back, as they have good young core and will only get better from this experience.

Deke

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suppose it could be said that our offence is predictable. And presumably the defensive brains of the Eagles, Falcons and Bears all thought so too. And prepared themselves for it.

Didn't stop our "predictable" offence scoring a total of 85 points over those three teams though did it? And all of them away games too!

BlackNGold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Eagles, Falcons, and Bears are nothing like our defense. If you thought Urlacher and Peppers were tough, wait until you see Harrision, Woodley, Farrior, Timmons, Polamalu, and big snack Hampton.

Props to winning those road games though, we know just how tough it is. We were the first to do it. ;-)

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
If you do not have a balanced offense and some threat of a running game, the Steelers defense will eat you up (with the exception of New England, they are the only team who is one dimensional that routinely gives us fits)

Not sure why we would be any different than NE in this case? We match up fairly closely in most respects, especially if you look at the latter part of the season when we started to establish the run. Brady certainly has more experience and is likely the league MVP, but Rodgers adds the scramble threat.

I doubt your Steelers will "eat us up". It won't be that easy.

The Packers offense is predictable....

Yes, but we ended up in the top 10 in the NFL in scoring and total yards-- ahead of the Steelers in both categories. Plus, if you look at the last 6-7 games, the Packers have vastly improved on these numbers-- perhaps as a result of our three Offensive rookies (RB, TE, RT) finally settling in.

...and our secondary is overall better than in 2009.

Touche, so is ours. IIRC, we had Bell and Bush, two 3rd stringers, in our secondary in 2009. Now, we have three Pro-Bowlers and a rookie sensation in Sam Shields.

At the end of the day though, the Steelers are just the better team.

Based up regular season and post season team statistics, this is generally not supported. If anything, I give an edge to the Packers.

However, as we all know, statistics mean squat. e.g. 6 of the top 8 rushing teams didn't even make the playoffs...

I will agree that the Steelers have a significant edge in SB experience and related confidence. And considering the excessive media hype and bright lights, this could be a huge factor.

If the Packers can focus come game day, which I believe they will, this should be a close game.

BlackNGold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will definitely be a close game, and a great one!

I don't think it will be anything like 2009. Of course I think our Steelers are going to win though, I'm a Steelers fan! ;-)

Both teams are so evenly matched it's scary.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
What is curious to me is the overwhelming belief from both Titletown and the National Media that it will be Green Bay hoisting the Lombardi on Feb. 6...

On a side note, I have to say that I am a bit disappointed in what I am reading from Packers fans on this site.

If you actually spent some time on this board rather than creating an account this past week and immediately making such a bold statement linking Green Bay fans with the national media, you would realize that your comment is out of line.

All teams have die-hard "homer" fans who predict blow-outs every week. This board is no different. But, I think the average take on the upcoming SB from GB fans is one of utmost respect for the Steelers and their historic organization.

I, for one, was hoping for a Jet win just to avoid having to face the Steelers. No disrespect to the Jets, but I simply didn't want my youthful in-experienced Packer squad to face the seasoned SB-ring-ladened team from Pittsburgh while on the biggest stage.

If you guys think those three teams had great defenses, they are like the JV squad when compared to Pittsburgh.

Dude, you went from being a Cliff Clavin know-it-all to a homer in one sentence.

Pittsburgh defense is damned good and ranked #1 for good reason. But calling a defense that is anchored by Peppers and Urlacher "JV" is plain silly. Philly D isn't too shabby either.

In summary, lighten up, pal. There is no lack of respect here nor any more team-hype than you just showed in your own post.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I have a lot of respect for the way the Steelers play football. They have the best defense we will face this year. It will be an honor to beat the best in the Championship, if we do so.

What bothers me, and many Packer fans, is the NFL's (and the Steelers) emphasis on Super Bowl wins as a measure of a team's greatness. The Packers have won twice as many Championships as the Steelers in the great history of the NFL. It is very disrespectful of every team and player of the pre-merger era to essentially minimize those Championships by only talking about Super Bowls.

I don't disregard the Steelers' recent success, but it is clear who owns the record number of Championships in the NFL.

End of rant.

BearDroppings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will definitely be a close game, and a great one!

I don't think it will be anything like 2009. Of course I think our Steelers are going to win though, I'm a Steelers fan! ;-)

Both teams are so evenly matched it's scary.

Of course you are! Do you remember the 1980's well? You know when you probably fled from Pittsburgh, and lived elsewhere? I am not overlooking your squad you got a pretty good one. But please don't troll here, and leave ******** comments about how great you guys are. Look we get it you have 6 rings, and no one else has 6 and has as many fans as the Steelers. It's cool man it really is! No I am not a Ravens fan either if you are thinking that hahaha.

PackersAllDay89

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could anyone post these links to the National Media saying it's going to be Green Bay hoisting the trophy?

The only advantage they have is in Vegas and I believe that is because Vegas wants people to put money on the Steelers due to people winning by following the "hot hand" in GB for the past 3 weeks.

From what I have heard on the radio/articles/networks the Steelers are heavily favored due to experience.

Black and Gold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course you are! Do you remember the 1980's well? You know when you probably fled from Pittsburgh, and lived elsewhere? I am not overlooking your squad you got a pretty good one. But please don't troll here, and leave ******** comments about how great you guys are. Look we get it you have 6 rings, and no one else has 6 and has as many fans as the Steelers. It's cool man it really is! No I am not a Ravens fan either if you are thinking that hahaha.

Which comment was the troll, exactly?

a) It will definitely be a close game, and a great one!

b) Both teams are so evenly matched it's scary.

c) all of the above

d) none of the above

e) Six ring snobbery is implied whenever a Steeler fan posts, anywhere.

Pardon me if it's in his sig; I disable those gigantic vertical space wasters asap on any board.

IMO there's no gimme for either team.

- Great defenses, both have allowed points at times. (Edge: Pittsburgh vs. run, Packers vs. pass). D-coordinators are both fantastic. Advantage: Steelers

- QBs - Different styles to be sure, but both can run and both can torch defenses. Advantage: Packers

- Run game - Both teams can run, both have had some trouble running. I don't recall if GB had injuries on the O-line this year or whether Starks is that much more explosive than Jackson. I'll go with injury since I'm also a Husker fan. ;) Advantage: Steelers

- Passing game - This is what scares me the most about Green Bay. Plus, while Pittsburgh has Wallace and Miller, they also have some rookies, and Ward isn't getting open as much. Rodgers > Roethlisberger as a pure passer. This may be a push but I'll say advantage to the Packers.

- Special teams - Did I mention Pittsburgh has six rings? That's what special teams have done for them this year. Advantage: Packers

- Loads of injuries overcome by both teams. It's flat out amazing that either made the Superbowl. Push

One rather glaring stat is 600+ penalty yards assessed against the Packers, versus 900+ for Pittsburgh.

All in all, this game's going to go to the team that makes the most plays and fewest mistakes.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which comment was the troll, exactly?

a) It will definitely be a close game, and a great one!

b) Both teams are so evenly matched it's scary.

c) all of the above

d) none of the above

e) Six ring snobbery is implied whenever a Steeler fan posts, anywhere.

Pardon me if it's in his sig; I disable those gigantic vertical space wasters asap on any board.

IMO there's no gimme for either team.

- Great defenses, both have allowed points at times. (Edge: Pittsburgh vs. run, Packers vs. pass). D-coordinators are both fantastic. Advantage: Steelers

- QBs - Different styles to be sure, but both can run and both can torch defenses. Advantage: Packers

- Run game - Both teams can run, both have had some trouble running. I don't recall if GB had injuries on the O-line this year or whether Starks is that much more explosive than Jackson. I'll go with injury since I'm also a Husker fan. ;) Advantage: Steelers

- Passing game - This is what scares me the most about Green Bay. Plus, while Pittsburgh has Wallace and Miller, they also have some rookies, and Ward isn't getting open as much. Rodgers > Roethlisberger as a pure passer. This may be a push but I'll say advantage to the Packers.

- Special teams - Did I mention Pittsburgh has six rings? That's what special teams have done for them this year. Advantage: Packers

- Loads of injuries overcome by both teams. It's flat out amazing that either made the Superbowl. Push

One rather glaring stat is 600+ penalty yards assessed against the Packers, versus 900+ for Pittsburgh.

All in all, this game's going to go to the team that makes the most plays and fewest mistakes.
I think you have to breakdown D.

DL: Packers (Jenkins, Pickett and Raji > Smith, Kiesel and Hapton)
LB: Steelers (Matthews > Harrison, but Woodley = Harrison, we don't have 2 guys like that. ILBs also little advantage Steelers)
DBs: Packers (Polamalu is great, but so is reigning DPOY Woodson. So wash. Then, Collins > Clark, Williams > Taylor, Shields > McFadden, Peprah > Gay. Yes, I know, I compared a S with a CB).

And about injuries, you can't be serious. The Packers have record setting, all time games missed by starters injuries.
You have, what? OL? Smith missed time?

Cullen Jenkins missed a lot of time. Matthews missed time. Rodgers missed time. And those guys are playing.

Our starting RT (Tauscher) is out.
Our starting TE (Finley) is out.
Our backup TE (Havner) is out
Our starting RB (Grant) is out.
Our Starting ILB (Barnett) is out.
Our backup ILB (Chillar) is out.
Our Starting SS (Burnett) is out.
Our backup FS (Anthony Smith) is out.
Our starting OLB (Jones) is out.
Our backup OLB (Zombo) is out.
Our backup backup OLB (Poppinga) is out.
Our backup/starting DE (Neal) is out.

And there are some more, but they wouldn't contribute much.

43Hitman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Smith has been out since week 4 I think, and we only have one starter on our line right now, and he's playing out of position. A couple of those guys couldn't play 3rd string on most teams. Honestly, I don't think anyone is discounting what the Pack has done in the face of adversity, but both teams have suffered some major injuries.

Members online

Latest posts