Starks is back on 2 year deal

D

Deleted member 6794

any word on the terms of the deal?

Starks´ deal is for a total of $3,165,626 and contains a$725,000 signing bonus, base salaries of $750,000 this year and $1.175 million in 2015. In addition he can earn roster bonuses of $182,813 and $75,000 workout bonuses each year. His cap hit will be $1.37 million this year and $1.795 million in 2015.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starks´ deal is for a total of $3,165,626 and contains a$725,000 signing bonus, base salaries of $750,000 this year and $1.175 million in 2015. In addition he can earn roster bonuses of $182,813 and $75,000 workout bonuses each year. His cap hit will be $1.37 million this year and $1.795 million in 2015.

This is the part that I think is genius. I know $182K isn't a ton of money in the grand scheme of things but if I'm not mistaken this bonus comes in the form of per game active roster bonuses of $11,000 and change per game. I really like the addition of per game roster bonuses for a player like Starks who has an injury history but it also gives him incentive to work hard and be on the active roster.

I haven't had a chance to comment on the #'s of this deal yet but this is a bargain IMO. With the RB market as dry as it is right now, he had a chance to go somewhere and start. I'm actually kind of surprised he didn't get more attention on the market. Teams like OAK, TENN, NYJ etc could all use someone like him. When healthy he is a hard runner who has shown the ability to be effective when given the chance. I have always like Starks and I'm glad he's back because he can play and it lightens the load for Lacy a little which is an added bonus.

D

Deleted member 6794

This is the part that I think is genius. I know $182K isn't a ton of money in the grand scheme of things but if I'm not mistaken this bonus comes in the form of per game active roster bonuses of $11,000 and change per game. I really like the addition of per game roster bonuses for a player like Starks who has an injury history but it also gives him incentive to work hard and be on the active roster.

You´re right that the bonus comes in the form of per game being on the active roster, which the Packers wouldn´t have to pay and if I´m right about that wouldn´t count against the cap either if Starks doesn´t play.

I haven't had a chance to comment on the #'s of this deal yet but this is a bargain IMO. With the RB market as dry as it is right now, he had a chance to go somewhere and start. I'm actually kind of surprised he didn't get more attention on the market. Teams like OAK, TENN, NYJ etc could all use someone like him. When healthy he is a hard runner who has shown the ability to be effective when given the chance. I have always like Starks and I'm glad he's back because he can play and it lightens the load for Lacy a little which is an added bonus.

I think the contract is OK, although it is actually quite some money for a backup. It seems like no other team offered him starter money though, as I´m totally sure he would have signed such a deal.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the contract is OK, although it is actually quite some money for a backup. It seems like no other team offered him starter money though, as I´m totally sure he would have signed such a deal.

But it's not so much that it makes him uncuttable. If he gets hurt again, which is very possible, or if Harris or Franklin emerge then they can get away from it pretty easily. I guess the way I look at it is if Lacy were to go down, we have a viable replacement for the 1st time in a LONG time so $1.6M average per yr to solidify the RB position seems very reasonable. Another point to look at is, the Packers are going to pay thier RB tandem just over $2M this season and it's arguably the best 1-2 in the NFL. That is crazy good value.

D

Deleted member 6794

But it's not so much that it makes him uncuttable. If he gets hurt again, which is very possible, or if Harris or Franklin emerge then they can get away from it pretty easily. I guess the way I look at it is if Lacy were to go down, we have a viable replacement for the 1st time in a LONG time so $1.6M average per yr to solidify the RB position seems very reasonable. Another point to look at is, the Packers are going to pay thier RB tandem just over $2M this season and it's arguably the best 1-2 in the NFL. That is crazy good value.

I think the $725,000 at least guarantees he will be on the roster for this season. If we want to cut him after 2014 the move wouldn´t result in a huge amount on dead money counting against our cap. I´m totally fine with the RB situation and you make a great point that we don´t pay them a lot of money for the expected production.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the $725,000 at least guarantees he will be on the roster for this season. If we want to cut him after 2014 the move wouldn´t result in a huge amount on dead money counting against our cap. I´m totally fine with the RB situation and you make a great point that we don´t pay them a lot of money for the expected production.

I agree with this. He's have to be really bad to get cut. This also buys them another year to see what they have in Harris and Franklin which could make Starks expendable after 2014 and further drop what we are paying the RB's.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's be honest. Lacy has an injury history both in college and now in the pros. He's a hard-runner that we all know makes his pro-lifespan shorter, so it's especially important to have a good backup.

Staff online

Latest posts