Starks is back on 2 year deal

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very happy about this. When healthy, Starks is the absolute perfect second-tier halfback. His second-cut burst is about as fast and elusive as any running back in the game, or close to it. I think he actually runs a lot faster than it looks like on TV. This was a great signing and in my mind, a no-brainer.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good! Hes one of my favorite Packers. Im glad hes back.

This is the first draft in awhile where we can all collectively say "We dont need a RB!"

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've never remembered us having this much RB depth. I really like Harris and Franklin, so I'd hate to lose either, but Lacy is same obviously, and I'd assume Starks is as well. Wonder if we keep 4 RB?

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like it that Starks is back! He was our best free agent left, after James Jones signed a deal. He ran very well all year long. He can be used as back-up for Lacy and as "pair of fresh legs" (you don't want to give Lacy to many carries), since both are similar runners.

I think we should keep Harris and Franklin as well. Running back is one of the most injury prone positions in football (usually at least one of our RB ends the season on IR), so its nice to finally have some depth at this position.

I think that Harris and Franklin should fight for some 3th down carries or maybe some "change-of-pace-carries". We might use one of them in a "Sproles/Woodhead role" (moving around, sometimes lining up in slot). It seems like franklin has soft hands and can make plays in space, so that might be a good camp experiment (not sure whether it will work though). And maybe either of them can to return kicks or punts. Harris was kick returner in college and for Jacksonville, so he might get a shot.

D

Deleted member 6794

I like that Starks is back, never thought there was any interest by the Packers to bring him back. If everyone stays healthy at RB during camp it will be interesting to see if the Packers keep four or get rid of Harris or Franklin.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like that Starks is back, never thought there was any interest by the Packers to bring him back. If everyone stays healthy at RB during camp it will be interesting to see if the Packers keep four or get rid of Harris or Franklin.

You'd be hard pressed to find another RB group in the NFL that is as deep and talented as the one we have now. Some team is going to get a talented RB if we decide to let one go.

D

Deleted member 6794

You'd be hard pressed to find another RB group in the NFL that is as deep and talented as the one we have now. Some team is going to get a talented RB if we decide to let one go.

Yeah, that 1-2 punch is pretty solid, in addition I really think Franklin could be a great change of pace guy. I´m not that high on Harris than anybody else though.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, that 1-2 punch is pretty solid, in addition I really think Franklin could be a great change of pace guy. I´m not that high on Harris than anybody else though.

Aaron Nagler would slap you in your mouth for saying this ;)

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Weird. It seems only recently and for some time we were struggling to find a RB. Now we have 4 and I have confidence in each of them (well, Harris has to show he overcame the injury)

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James Starks and a draft pick to Jacksonville for TE Marcedes Lewis:) hey don't judge me..it's not like we don't have Dajuan Harris still on the roster who I'm high on...with franklin behind him. Lewis would be a nice target for Rodgers with his 6'6 frame and huge catch Radius. I like what Starks did last yr but we need a tightend who can be a major threat in the passing game not just a solid blocker.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James Starks and a draft pick to Jacksonville for TE Marcedes Lewis:) hey don't judge me..it's not like we don't have Dajuan Harris still on the roster who I'm high on...with franklin behind him. Lewis would be a nice target for Rodgers with his 6'6 frame and huge catch Radius. I like what Starks did last yr but we need a tightend who can be a major threat in the passing game not just a solid blocker.
if Jacksonville wanted Starks, they would have signed him. Why would they suddenly give up a player for him?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there will be any point in this lifetime (or any other for that matter) where you could count on Starks as a lead blocker. His pass blocking and pass catching continue to be pretty dismal and he's been in the league long enough that expecting improvement is wishful thinking. He's a ball carrier, plain and simple.

While I agree with you, somebody has to block for Lacy and Harris.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This signing was a big surprise to me. I thought with Lacy, Franklin, and Harris returning they would save the money on Starks for other positions. But I'm glad he's back - he ran as well as he did in the 2010 last season, or better.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO this puts Harris on the bubble, fighting with Franklin for a roster spot. I've always liked Starks and think that he's a valuable asset to not only the Packers, but to Lacy specifically. He really seems to help Lacy push the pace when he comes into the game - a healthy competition between teammates.

....as usual, crickets from the anti-Thompson bunch about fielding a good RB group. Only his failures are acknowledged.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Weird. It seems only recently and for some time we were struggling to find a RB. Now we have 4 and I have confidence in each of them (well, Harris has to show he overcame the injury)
Agree. What a difference one draft made. And a bit of health.

Franklin still going to try out for KR duties? Maybe take some of the Cobb backfield plays while Cobb is a WR? Looks to be his best bet to stay on roster is either beat out Harris or learn to return kicks and punts.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Starks limits mileage on Lacy and equals a great 1-2 punch. He averaged 5.5 yards a carry. Running game with Bulaga and hopefully Sherrord finally contributing is gonna be sweet.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree. What a difference one draft made. And a bit of health.

Franklin still going to try out for KR duties? Maybe take some of the Cobb backfield plays while Cobb is a WR? Looks to be his best bet to stay on roster is either beat out Harris or learn to return kicks and punts.

Indeed. What is so ironic about this (the 2013 draft) is I remember that many people (myself included) sorta figured that Franklin may actually be the better running back in the pros than Lacy. There were actual pro scouts who said the same thing. Obviously, Franklin doesn't have Lacy's genetics, build, power, and strength. But often times, when skill position players come from schools like Alabama, people wonder if they're just "system players". Lacy proved to be the real day from day one. Not sure what really happened, but Franklin never seemed to get off the right foot from the get-go. His fumble against the Bengals clearly landed him in the doghouse for the rest of the season.

I really do NOT want to see Cobb returning any more kicks or punts. It's too dangerous and he's too valuable.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I stupidly enough was one of those people on draft day. I thought Franklin with all of his all-purpose yards in college would translate better to our offense than the smashmouth Lacy.

I started to see the woe of my ways early on in training camp though. While most people were questioning Lacy's weight (and applauding Franklin's absurd thought of running for mayor :whistling:) it started to become more apparent that Franklin wasn't quite ready for the pro game. He's still got plenty of potential though, and hopefully some more focus on his game this year and less on politics should help.

Also credit to Thompson for building probably the deepest RB core in all of football. And McCarthy for actually running the ball last year.

Members online

Latest posts