1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Starks is back on 2 year deal

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by FrankRizzo, Nov 20, 2011.

1. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,409
    While it is obvious that Lacy looks like the way better player right now I still think Franklin has a lot of potential and he showed that in the only game he played more than 10 snaps. 103 rushing yards on 13 carries, adding another 3 receptions are pretty good numbers. Of course fumbling the play in a decisive moment will get you benched though. I think he´ll beat out Harris in camp if the Packers decide to keep only three RBs.

He didn´t look natural on returns though, not sure if he´s able to step it up there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. PackerFlatLander

PackerFlatLander Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +294
    I agree with that totally. Harris is decent but he's not Franklin. Franklin is eerily similar to Starks, except Starks has that second-level burst that is not noticeable on many other players in this league. Starks doesn't get enough credit for it, but he's very elusive, shifty and he seems to escape the grasp of at least one defender every time he gets past the line of scrimmage. Starks isn't blessed with the most durable football body but I'm glad he's back. He proves his value every time he's healthy.

3. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +838
    Starks is a pretty large running back. Doesn't he tower over Franklin??

4. BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +499
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,452
    I want to know who was sitting around at home with enough time to put together a DuJuan Harris highlight real for 2012. I bet even DuJuan would be surprised

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +806
    Between Harris and Franklin the better performer will get the nod. Franklin isn't going to beat out Harris simply because he was a third round draft pick.

7. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +806
    What has Franklin done that Harris can't? I can tell you a couple things Harris does that I have not seen Franklin do. He makes quick decisions and accelerates to high gear in a blink. He can make guys miss without sacrificing speed in the open field. Despite his size, he's not afraid of contact and runs with authority. He's also better on blitz pickups. I haven't seen any of this from Franklin. Maybe I'm missing something.:confused:

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +806
    Exactly! Without Kuhn, the Bears would have made the playoffs this year and we would have been sitting at home. None of the other backs on our roster would have picked up Peppers and Rodgers almost certainly would have been sacked. It was his early recognition that the LT didn't get the blitz pickup call and his almost immediate reaction that saved that play. I don't think anyone else recognizes the blown assignment quick enough to do anything about it. Every team needs a smart, heady blue collar guy and he's ours. I hope he's back next year.

9. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,009
    I'll take that as a jab but like I listed in a previous post I'll applaud TT when he does something worthy of it. Peppers was a huge pickup and if Starks can stay healthy him and Lacy will pound defenses. Props to TT ....again.

• Like Like x 1
  10. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,009
    I believe a healthy Harris takes over kick return duties. He has speed and quickness to be a factor on the return game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,399
    Franklin was a 4th rounder. Very late 4th rounder at that. But I agree with the point.

Harris gave us a very small sample size in 2012, but when he did, he was pretty awesome to watch. Keep in mind before he got injured in pre-season MM had said he was going to be the starter OVER Lacy.

I was very disappointed when he went down, would have been exciting to see what those two backs with very different styles could have brought to the table especially all that time Rodgers was out.

Harris might be a one month wonder. I really don't know. But he at least deserves a chance in training camp to earn a spot.

12. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,009
    Some one mentioned Harris as a third down back but I see him having a much larger role. The Niners had a hard time stopping him in the last game he played for us and that's a stout defense ladies and gentlemen. Had the defense stopped somebody there's no telling what the guy could've done. Starks isn't a change of pace back...in fact he's the same type of bruising runner as Lacy but with more burst . When you talk about change of pace you usually think of a guy who is quicker and faster and can be a receiving threat That's Harris not Starks. Packers may be the first team in Nfl history with a 1,2,3 punch! I'm ok with that.

13. Passepartout

Passepartout Happy Memorial Day!

Ratings:
    +18
    It is hard to find a change of pace back. Very few players that can do that. Harris indeed can do that!

14. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,976

Starks is listed at 6'2"

dujuan harris 5' 9"

15. jaybadger82

jaybadger82 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +387
    At this point in the year, it's usually agents that leak contract details. The lack of information on the Starks deal suggests the agent hasn't accomplished anything worth bragging about (i.e., it's an organization-friendly contract). Or Starks' agent just isn't a talker.

DuJuan's mom. Or his agent.

I prefer a compact runner over a taller one. They can hide behind the line and often pack more pop.

16. DevilDon

DevilDon Inclement Weather Fan

Ratings:
    +445
    Lacy and Starks 1-2 punch of solid mass. Lacy more a pounder, Starks a bit quicker. Harris and Franklin are 3rd down/change of pace backs. I think they keep all 4 since we don't know how injuries will affect this unit this year. I can see a role for each of them and that's a good thing. I haven't been this excited about a Packer running game since Ahman Green.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +806
    My bad :oops:

18. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    I predicted to my brother weeks ago that Starks would hit the open market, no team would show any interest in him, and he'd re-sign with us for near the minimum. Just wanted to know if i could tell him "I told you so".

19. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +336
    For the short time I've been posting here I haven't agreed with much you've had to say but I appreciate that you're able to give credit where credit is due. It's the whole "sky is falling" mentality when he hasn't signed someone 1st day of free agency that irritates me.

20. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,009

You see? I don't hate Teddy. :)

21. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +336
    Well I'm not sure I'd go that far... ;)

22. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,452
    The statement wasn't directed at anyone in particular, but your affirmation of the Peppers and RB moves is noted. Too bad you're the only TT-adverse forum member with the stones to say so. :)

23. SoonerPack

SoonerPack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +292
    I for one love the re-signing of JS. We all know by now that he is not a every down back because of his injury history but we don't need him to be that kind of back. Lacy had a great rookie campaign and I only see him getting better. The idea of giving EL a breather and bringing Starks in to continue to hammer at the defenders has nothing but upside IMO. I love Harris' skill-set and I still think Franklin can be a productive back in the league but having a guy with Stark's size and strength HAS to wear on opposing D's. Having the "problem" of finding time for 4 quality backs is so friggin sweet and something I would have laughed at a few years back. Worst case scenario we can move one of them for a middle round pick with which TT usually finds a gem. Now we will wait and see how the OL battle shapes up but Rodgers has to love the fact that he has a stable of backs that can get the job done and I see no reason this team can't be top 3 in points scored this upcoming season!

24. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,023
    I don't hate a teddy either. Especially when worn by a certain female I am well acquainted with!;)

25. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,009
    Angela Lansbury? Thought she was dead :/ Haha I kid I kid.