Sources: Packers won't release Favre

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the distraction is HERE and it's not going anywhere whether we release him, trade him, keep him, whatever. All scenarios will have the chimes ringing for months.

So, you take a deep breath and do exactly as the Packers latest statement said it would do which is "as always, what is best for this team" and then go get the most for him you can.

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
Just sit tight Brett. You have all the leverage you need. 13 million per year that you can collect while sitting on your butt. The last thing they want to do is pay you that for not playing. They have no choice but to release you. All he has to do is say, nope i dont think so. Im gonna re-retire if you trade me and nobody will give the Packers anything for him.

Just sit tight Brett and you'll get exactly what you want. The Packers are holding zero cards other than the ability to hold up your decision for 1-2 months.

If he threatened to re-retire that would put the Packers in the best situation possible... Favre retiring a Packer and not playing for anyone else. And as for trading I'm sure we could get a second day draft pick and more importantly choose a team outside the NFC.

Ideally though, and I think this is me just in the denial stage of grief, Favre and Bus Cook have been bluffing to force the Packers to play him and if it doesn't work he'll back off.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
PackinSteel said:
Curious - anyone recall if the timing of the "Favre on Reserve/Retired" list correlates with any of the rumored "conversations" or lack thereof?
I second that someone should look this up. My laziness knows no bounds.

It would be interesting, though, to see if the supposed timeline of late March were to reflect his placement on the reserve/retired list. Hmmm...

Heard if a charter was really hired to fly down there a manifest is made..Even if flight is canceled record of it still exists..

and your suppose to be able to get the passenger list from it?

but not sure on that always though that was private information

So sounds like if a flight was hired by Packers to go to Miss at end of March there was a record of it. But if no flight was hired, then no record of it

Here is something else I think i posted here already but can't find it

Report is Ted and Mm wanted him back and Brett initially agreed to it..But then he shot them down..This article is saying there were reports out there that he was thinking about playing again..and its the same time frame.

april 4th peter king

On Thursday, the Los Angeles Times reported that Favre's agent, Bus Cook, was asking around the league to see if teams had any interest in trading for the 38-year-old Favre. Thursday night, Cook denied that he was trying to find teams that wanted Favre. When the news broke, Cook called Favre and told him people were sniffing around about Favre coming out of retirement, and Favre was surprised to hear that the story had gotten legs.

"How will I feel in four months? Who knows? I'm sure I'll miss it on Sundays," Favre said. "But football's so much more than 16 Sundays. It's about all the other stuff -- the preparation, the off-field stuff. And I don't miss any of that.''

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DGB454 said:
RedSoxExcel said:
I don't get something. So many people were up in arms over Favre having an "itch" because of the huge "distraction" it created.

Shouldn't a quick release minimize this.

Back up AR? Seriously, that really solves the distraction issue. Sit on this and wait for a trade, that really solves the distraction issue. I don't know, I just don't get it. A lot (not all) of the same people thaat were in arms about Favre's indecision, now seem to be supporting a scenerio that drags this out.

From the franchise standpoint he should be traded IMO. You can't give away an asset. It doesn't make good buisness sense. Once the Packers said that they are moving on there should be no more distraction for Rodgers. He is the starting QB right now.

Fair enough. I just hope it doesn't drag out. And that they treat Favre well through out. Because that would be a real shame and it would look terrible on what I believe to be one of the all time great franchises in all of football and sports for that matter. He changed his mind, big deal, you still owe him some general respect. If you don't want him, let him go somewhere he wants to go (obviously not the NFC North).

I keep hearing you don't trade him to the NFC north? Why not? If you don't think he warrants a roster spot on THIS team why would you NOT want to face him twice a year? I know why cause after he throws for 300 plus yards and 3 TD's while Aaron struggles you will feel like a big fool.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair enough. I just hope it doesn't drag out. And that they treat Favre well through out.
I feel 100% confident the Packers will treat Favre atleast as good as Favre has treated the Packers this offseason.

joe_smoe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what I dont get, the packers org. say they want to keep brett's legacy intact...How is trading him to someone who will never be able to sompete against them or to a team that has no chance keep his legacy intact?????

Keeping his legacy intact would be letting him go to whoever he wants and continueing to establish himself as a legacy...

Thus TT is a hypocrit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By trading him to a team that has no chance to compete will keep his legacy intact in Greenbay.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Updated from ESPN - GB will welcome Favre back to be the team's backup QB if he applies for reinstatement:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3484473

The Green Bay Packers' general manager and coach don't plan to grant Brett Favre's request for his release. If he does rejoin the team, they told The Associated Press, it won't be as the starting quarterback.

And Favre is unlikely to accept a backup role, GM Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy acknowledged Saturday in their first public comments since the 38-year-old Favre demanded his release this week.

A trade may be the best resolution, but Thompson and McCarthy declined to discuss that possibility. Thompson said he had not received any inquiries from other teams as of Saturday morning.

"We've communicated that to Brett, that we have since moved forward," Thompson said. "At the same time, we've never said that there couldn't be some role that he might play here. But I would understand his point that he would want to play."

When asked whether that role might be as a backup or coach, Thompson said: "not a coach."

Added McCarthy: "He did ask about that, though."

John Clayton also came on and supported the story that TT and MM tried to get Favre to come back as the starter in late March. His sources were from the league's office.

joe_smoe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By trading him to a team that has no chance to compete will keep his legacy intact in Greenbay.

I am starting to be ashamed I was ever a packer fan because of people like this...Brett gave you all he had for 17 years...Packers decide to go forward with aaron, which to me is fine...But how do they reward brett for all he has done? by sending him to a team where he will suffer...THIS IS BS!!!!!

ANyone in the world can quit their job at any time and then go work for another employer. But in football however you cant...SUE the PACK brett under the civil rights act.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL doesn't equal 31 companies. The NFL is like a major company like Honeywell or IBM. At IBM, you couldn't just go up to your boss and say "Hey, I'm tired of working in the computer division, I want to go work for the printer group" and have them gladly accept. If your worried about "civil rights", Favre could easily retire/quit from the NFL and go join an Arena football or CFL team. In the same way someone could quit IBM and go join Bob's computer repair.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
joe_smoe said:
This is what I dont get, the packers org. say they want to keep brett's legacy intact...How is trading him to someone who will never be able to sompete against them or to a team that has no chance keep his legacy intact?????

Keeping his legacy intact would be letting him go to whoever he wants and continueing to establish himself as a legacy...

Thus TT is a hypocrit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have to look at it through his perspective. He probably thinks going to a different team would do more damage than harm.

Do you disagree?

Ok but you also said this....

I am starting to be ashamed I was ever a packer fan because of people like this...

Well that's why Thompson obviously thinks playing for a different team would hurt his legacy. He hasn't suited up and for some people it has.

Now truth be told most people are running on emotions right now and I think it'll calm down. I think it will but I don't know for sure.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
joe_smoe said:

I am starting to be ashamed I was ever a packer fan because of people like this...Brett gave you all he had for 17 years...Packers decide to go forward with aaron, which to me is fine...But how do they reward brett for all he has done? by sending him to a team where he will suffer...THIS IS BS!!!!!

ANyone in the world can quit their job at any time and then go work for another employer. But in football however you cant...SUE the PACK brett under the civil rights act.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get a grip. He is one player on the team. Or should I say he WAS one player on a team. He was the best QB of his era and I am thankful he played for GB rather than against us. It would be best for the Packers if he didn't retire or stayed retired but since that isn't happening then it would be best for the Packers if they didn't have to face him at all. In the end it's what's best for the Packers . Not what's best for Brett. He won't suffer that much playing for another team like the Dolphins or the Falcons. He will be playing football and that's what he wants. If he was so worried about competing and going to the Super bowl then he would have never retired.

Latest posts