Sources: Packers won't release Favre

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
glazer:

It seems that Brett Favre isn't getting his way in Green Bay anymore.

The Packers legend asked the team for his unconditional release on Friday, but the organization has no intention of granting that request, FOXSports.com has learned. If anything, sources say, the team is prepared to welcome Favre back as a backup to Aaron Rodgers.

Rodgers has worked as the team's starter for the last five months and Green Bay has been operating under that assumption since Favre announced his retirement in the beginning of March. Favre re-affirmed his decision to retire at the end of March.

"The finality of (Favre's) decision to retire was accepted by the organization," the team said in a statement released Friday. "At that point, the Green Bay Packers made the commitment to move forward with our football team."

Green Bay would likely trade Favre before releasing him, sources indicate. The team has the cap space to take on Favre's huge salary, but it would rather deal him than give him up for nothing, if those were the two options.

Friday's letter asking for his release is just the latest in what has been quite a soap opera involving Favre and the team this offseason.

As word of his desire to play leaked out, the team has treated the news largely as hearsay, as this is not the first time this offseason that Favre has made such a request.
------------------------------------------------------------

Now things are getting hairy. And not good hairy like a french broad who is a little hairy but is still kinda hot, or an Italian girl who has more hair on her arms than you but still has huge cans. This is Sasquatch standing behind you in a port-a-potty hairy.

(I didn't see this posted elsewhere, but lets be honest, this place is nuts today)

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this is fantastic news, good thing we have that cap space in handy! maybe TT the almighty anticipated or forsaw this in his crystalball..! Just like he did with Jennings and Jones.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good move on TTs part. Back up AR or trade to the team of the Packers choice. Either way it's a win for Packers.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good move on TTs part. Back up AR or trade to the team of the Packers choice. Either way it's a win for Packers.

Yeah it looks like things have moved from an inhouse annoyance to "Lets do business" aspect of it. Thompson won't let Favre play for an NFC North team, hell maybe not even an NFC team.

You'd think Thompson might do the polite thing and say "We're moving on, here's your release, good luck, sir." No. This is the NFL and games can easily be won or lost depending on the QB, and Favre added to the mix changes the landscape of a lot of divisions. The chess match has begun.

This is where machiavelli jr earns his money.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now things are getting hairy. And not good hairy like a french broad who is a little hairy but is still kinda hot, or an Italian girl who has more hair on her arms than you but still has huge cans. This is Sasquatch standing behind you in a port-a-potty hairy.

That's the first good laugh I've had all day.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

That's the first good laugh I've had all day.

It is not funny. I saw a Sasquatch or what ever... in 1981 beside a creek near Howard Lake in B.C. It scared the hell out of me. It had to be at least 6'10" tall when it stood up.

I was tracking a stench because I thought I would find a cougar kill. The smell was so bad it made me gag. It was eating Berry's... The smell was not a deer that had been killed. It was that damn hairy what ever it was.

Actually I am full of crap. But I bet it was interesting while you were reading it?

Tthat was pretty funny Trom. You should be a writer for Quentin Tarantino. :wink:

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Welcome him back as a backup?

How is that going to work if Favre outplays Rodgers in practice? Teammates will certainly start too plea for Favre. At the very least the tension it would put on Aaron Rodgers alone to have Favre sitting there as a backup would be a risk not worth it. I don't see that working at all.

I think the Packers need to be realistic. Workout standards where Favre can list certain teams he wants to play for outside of the NFC North and Green Bay calls them up and asks what they'd offer. Take the best offer and move on.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You compete.

This is the NFL.

Show off your competitive fire that people love to claim that you have, Brett.

You want your job back? Earn it back. We're not letting you wear purple.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nope wont release, but trade by Monday??

I bet it will be not Monday Longtime.

The Packers will announce the trade or move on a Friday. A Friday just before a weekend is always the best time to release a press release on any challenging issue that is a public relations challenge.

Look for a finality next Friday at the end of the day, or the following Friday. Mind you... after thinking about what I was typing This will involve two teams.... so this rule may not be in effect this time.

You are right though in your thoughts I am sure. I think the Packers will want to rid themselves of this issue as soon as possible.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just sit tight Brett. You have all the leverage you need. 13 million per year that you can collect while sitting on your butt. The last thing they want to do is pay you that for not playing. They have no choice but to release you. All he has to do is say, nope i dont think so. Im gonna re-retire if you trade me and nobody will give the Packers anything for him.

Just sit tight Brett and you'll get exactly what you want. The Packers are holding zero cards other than the ability to hold up your decision for 1-2 months.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think your inability to understand what i said is pretty sad. Read it 3 or 4 times and try again. I wont waste my time trying to educate you.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Here friend! Dis is fer you!

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM!!!

EAT IT UP!

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Curious - anyone recall if the timing of the "Favre on Reserve/Retired" list correlates with any of the rumored "conversations" or lack thereof?

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
I think your inability to understand what i said is pretty sad. Read it 3 or 4 times and try again. I wont waste my time trying to educate you.

Geeze...Logical question to what you wrote. No need to get irate.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Curious - anyone recall if the timing of the "Favre on Reserve/Retired" list correlates with any of the rumored "conversations" or lack thereof?
I second that someone should look this up. My laziness knows no bounds.

It would be interesting, though, to see if the supposed timeline of late March were to reflect his placement on the reserve/retired list. Hmmm...

RedSoxExcel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get something. So many people were up in arms over Favre having an "itch" because of the huge "distraction" it created.

Shouldn't a quick release minimize this.

Back up AR? Seriously, that really solves the distraction issue. Sit on this and wait for a trade, that really solves the distraction issue. I don't know, I just don't get it. A lot (not all) of the same people thaat were in arms about Favre's indecision, now seem to be supporting a scenerio that drags this out.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get something. So many people were up in arms over Favre having an "itch" because of the huge "distraction" it created.

Back up AR? Seriously, that really solves the distraction issue. Sit on this and wait for a trade, that really solves the distraction issue. I don't know, I just don't get it. A lot (not all) of the same people thaat were in arms about Favre's indecision, now seem to be supporting a scenerio that drags this out.

From the franchise standpoint he should be traded IMO. You can't give away an asset. It doesn't make good buisness sense. Once the Packers said that they are moving on there should be no more distraction for Rodgers. He is the starting QB right now.

RedSoxExcel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RedSoxExcel said:

From the franchise standpoint he should be traded IMO. You can't give away an asset. It doesn't make good buisness sense. Once the Packers said that they are moving on there should be no more distraction for Rodgers. He is the starting QB right now.

Fair enough. I just hope it doesn't drag out. And that they treat Favre well through out. Because that would be a real shame and it would look terrible on what I believe to be one of the all time great franchises in all of football and sports for that matter. He changed his mind, big deal, you still owe him some general respect. If you don't want him, let him go somewhere he wants to go (obviously not the NFC North).

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts