Somethin I just don't get about the challenge flags.....

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So each coach can use the challenge flags a limit of three times per game. Right?
This means that the NFL officials are admiting that they may make at least up to 6 mistakes per game by looking at things without instant replay.
Seems to me that there should be a limitless amount of time of throwing the flag (Or increase it by a few more times) and a different penalty than losing a time out.
Like a 10/15 yard penalty depending on what is being challenged.

What do you think? Does the current system of using the red flag make sense to you or not?
Something about it just doesn't make sense to me...

tmlfan3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just fyi they only get 2 challenges right now. They're awarded a 3rd if they win both of their first 2. plus the booth reviews after the 2 minute warning in each half of course.

I like the current system actually. maybe give them 1 more but no more than that. It's more a piece of strategy right now and some games would get really delayed with unlimited challenges. Most games don't really need more than 3 or 4 challenges total. Yeah the refs can screw up more than that... but that's generally the number of plays that it's a huge turnaround to win or lose the challenge.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just fyi they only get 2 challenges right now. They're awarded a 3rd if they win both of their first 2. plus the booth reviews after the 2 minute warning in each half of course.

I like the current system actually. maybe give them 1 more but no more than that. It's more a piece of strategy right now and some games would get really delayed with unlimited challenges. Most games don't really need more than 3 or 4 challenges total. Yeah the refs can screw up more than that... but that's generally the number of plays that it's a huge turnaround to win or lose the challenge.
Thank you for correcting me on that.
I wasn't aware that's how it works.
And thank you for your response.

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it should be like it is now with one change. I think you should keep getting more challenges as long as you keep winning them. So like it is now you start off with 2 challenges and if you win them both, you get a third. If you challenge again and win it, you get a fourth. Challenge again and win, you get a fifth, etc. I think the goal of challenges should be to get the calls correct and not penalize teams for refs making tons of mistakes in one game. There was a game this season (maybe the first one vs. Vikings) that MM won his first two challenges. Then there was a play that would have been overturned if MM would have challenged, but he didn't because he didn't want to run out of challenges.

In reality, it wouldn't affect all that many games, because it's fairly rare that a coach actually wins all 3 challenges. So I don't think it would delay games very often. Bottom line, the right call needs to be made.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it should be like it is now with one change. I think you should keep getting more challenges as long as you keep winning them. So like it is now you start off with 2 challenges and if you win them both, you get a third. If you challenge again and win it, you get a fourth. Challenge again and win, you get a fifth, etc. I think the goal of challenges should be to get the calls correct and not penalize teams for refs making tons of mistakes in one game. There was a game this season (maybe the first one vs. Vikings) that MM won his first two challenges. Then there was a play that would have been overturned if MM would have challenged, but he didn't because he didn't want to run out of challenges.

In reality, it wouldn't affect all that many games, because it's fairly rare that a coach actually wins all 3 challenges. So I don't think it would delay games very often. Bottom line, the right call needs to be made.
what He said ^^^

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the college system, where every play is reviewed by an official upstairs and the referee is buzzed if the play is to be reviewed.

coaches get only 1 challenge per game, unless that challenge is upheld, which awards the team another challenge.

In 2006 the college system reversed 1 of every 6 plays reviewed. A missed call on a fumble in the first quarter can be just as important as one in the last 2 minutes of a half; and if there's a 17% chance of the call being wrong, shouldn't they all be reviewable?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am fine with how it is currently used. I could see giving coaches another one for everyone they win.

question, why dont the teams pay some guy $10 an hr to sit and watch the game through the tv feed, and when the announcers point out something that should be challenged the guy buzzes a coach? I know the coaches up in the booth dont watch the same feed we do but they miss things time to time like when to challenge.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

what He said ^^^
Ditto on that.

I like the college system, where every play is reviewed by an official upstairs and the referee is buzzed if the play is to be reviewed.
Sometimes I think they must be buzzed seeing how they mess up on some of the calls.

I am fine with how it is currently used. I could see giving coaches another one for everyone they win.

question, why dont the teams pay some guy $10 an hr to sit and watch the game through the tv feed, and when the announcers point out something that should be challenged the guy buzzes a coach? I know the coaches up in the booth dont watch the same feed we do but they miss things time to time like when to challenge.
That wouldn't work.
The close up or other angles on replays are too late.
During the Saints/Seahawks playoff game they showed a RBs knee touching the turf just as he broke the plain. By the time they showed the replay the extra point had already been kicked.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That wouldn't work.
The close up or other angles on replays are too late.
During the Saints/Seahawks playoff game they showed a RBs knee touching the turf just as he broke the plain. By the time they showed the replay the extra point had already been kicked.

? You cant just use one example and dismiss it. But Ill play that game. It would have just saved the colts a timeout/challenge that he shouldnt have challenged.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
? You cant just use one example and dismiss it. But Ill play that game. It would have just saved the colts a timeout/challenge that he shouldnt have challenged.
OK I think we are going by what we have seen.
And maybe I haven't noticed where it would work in your example.

So the network has shown questionable calls with close ups and angles before the next snap?

And only 10 bucks an hour? Maybe I'd volunteer to do it for free if it meant seeing a couple games at Lambeau in a sky box or sitting among the fans as a perk.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score

agreed. if you win your challenges you should keep getting more

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts