So you guys/gals aren't happy?

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tonight was disappointing/discouraging but if we were told in August we'd be 3-1 at this point we'd all take it. However we have to find a fix for our running game and run defense or it will be a long season going forward.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offense I think can be forgiven because despite the liabilities of Graham and Bulaga, and also losing our power RB, we still had a shot at the end. MLF will get this running at full speed at some point I believe.

What should **** everyone off is how bad our first round pick Rashan Gary is doing less than Datone Jones out there. Ridiculous to have blown a first round pick on a guy unless he's a carbon copy of Terell Suggs or Julius Peppers in their primes.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care that we're 3-1. When the opportunity presents itself to beat a really good team it needs to happen, especially since we never have home field throughout the playoffs. I'm not saying being happy about 3-1 is loser mentality, but considering they had to travel on a real short week, you need to get it done by any means possible. It's a week to week league, not a quarter of season to quarter of season league. Yes the refs screwed us bad but we also had plenty of opportunities in the red zone on offense and defense. It's really painful but this isn't a Super Bowl year and maybe it won't be for a few years.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
What should **** everyone off is how bad our first round pick Rashan Gary is doing less than Datone Jones out there. Ridiculous to have blown a first round pick on a guy unless he's a carbon copy of Terell Suggs or Julius Peppers in their primes.

Over reactive hyperbole. Where is your criticism of the Smith Brothers or Fackrell for what they didn't do during the game?

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Over reactive hyperbole. Where is your criticism of the Smith Brothers or Fackrell for what they didn't do during the game?

Well, nobody on the D really brought much value to the table tonight, including those 3. But I'm also not sure why on that one play Pettine had P Smith covering Ertz. Thing is when looking at the other weeks leading into tonight they were getting a few sacks or getting in on other plays.

Gary on the other hand has not made any plays all season and is proving he did not deserve to be rated a first round pick. If he doesn't start racking up unassisted tackles, sacks or forced fumbles soon, the word "bust" shall define him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't care that we're 3-1. When the opportunity presents itself to beat a really good team it needs to happen, especially since we never have home field throughout the playoffs. I'm not saying being happy about 3-1 is loser mentality, but considering they had to travel on a real short week, you need to get it done by any means possible. It's a week to week league, not a quarter of season to quarter of season league. Yes the refs screwed us bad but we also had plenty of opportunities in the red zone on offense and defense. It's really painful but this isn't a Super Bowl year and maybe it won't be for a few years.

My reason for being a bit down was this game exposed all the fears I knew existed, despite being 3-0 going in.
  1. Our run game isn't good.
  2. We have 1 great WR, the rest are at best #3 or beyond on most teams.
  3. Our TE's pale in comparison to many teams.
  4. We have 2 RB's, we need a 3rd.
  5. The ILB position is weak.
  6. Our DL is Clark and that is about it.
  7. (not exposed tonight) We have one QB that can win games.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
But I'm also not sure why on that one play Pettine had P Smith covering Ertz.

Probably because nobody else seemed to be able to get the job done. The Packers are missing a Will ILB plain and simple. It hurts us on running plays, it kills us on passing plays. As bad as Martinez has looked sometimes, I feel like this defense is playing with 10 guys at times and he is being asked to play 2 positions.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This team was exposed tonight. The D over 4 games time has shown it’s improved, but the giant killers people have been crowing about? I didn’t buy it and tonight unfortunately my skepticism was proven well founded. The offense is a disaster. Without Adams it’s bottom third.... meh maybe just bottom half. Rodgers has been disappointing for years now. Very very very average performance in the second half (the half I saw). People are complaining about refs and injuries and blah blah blah. Maybe this rocket ship will take off but it’s sputtering so far. The Eagles come to Lambeau and KICK OUR ***.... The second half I watched a team get BEAT.... period. Hopefully our defensive players will focus on assignments and TACKLING instead of their next “we’re so special” pose. 3-1 is “ok” but our true PERFORMANCE thus far has not been.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we're a fake 3-1, without AR ,what are we? Same old problems, can't run, can't stop run, AJ Hawk 2.0 LB, stop them after a 5 yard gain, TE pathetic, AR bailing them out. 9-7, make the playoffs and get smoked.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Today? Eh. Why not be happy? I mean, Jamaal Williams has feeling in all of his extremities and is able to move all of them as well. Way to be Jamaal!!!!

The other stuff can be fixed. Might be a good look in the mirror moment for our team, Top to Bottom.

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the ILBs in run defense: It's not just the Packers. One of the things I've noticed in this first month of the season is in this league you still need 240+ lbs guys on the inside. The notion you can plug gaps with Jabrill Peppers type LB/Safety tweeners in the NFL is a non starter. Sure, it works well in college when your primary task is making tackles on read option QBs. In the NFL, those large people in the OLine can get to the second level in a hurry.

Martinez/Burks 230s lbs ILBs are fine athletes but, lack stoutness. In the short term, I'd like to see Ty Summers get more snaps. In the long term, acquiring/drafting more 4-3ish MLB types is in order regardless of which scheme is used.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'd like to see Ty Summers get more snaps.

I gave you an agree, but Summers isn't ready or the answer. No doubt though in my mind that the Defenses Achilles heel right now is the ILB position. Martinez isn't as bad as he looked at times last night, but without anyone helping him out, he cannot cover that much field and will continue to struggle until that is fixed. It's like asking a CB to cover the left side of the field with no Safety help for the entire game.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gave you an agree, but Summers isn't ready or the answer. No doubt though in my mind that the Defenses Achilles heel right now is the ILB position. Martinez isn't as bad as he looked at times last night, but without anyone helping him out, he cannot cover that much field and will continue to struggle until that is fixed. It's like asking a CB to cover the left side of the field with no Safety help for the entire game.
How do you KNOW???? I just do not get this kind of reaction to Ty Summers. He only led the NFL in tackles preseason. Had a pick 6... I mean, how can you say he's not ready, nor the answer? He had ONE bad preseason game against BAL.

I say, put the kid in there and let's find out! He was active. Pettine could have put him in. Martinez was sucking it up through much of the last 3 quarters.

I'll add, I think we need his kind of athleticism and instincts in shutting down the opposing rushing attack. Yes, next to Martinez.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
How do you KNOW???? I just do not get this kind of reaction to Ty Summers. He only led the NFL in tackles preseason. Had a pick 6... I mean, how can you say he's not ready, nor the answer? He had ONE bad preseason game against BAL.

How do I know? Past history. We see this every year, our favorite preseason All Stars, lightening it up against other guys who aren't that good. Then you put them on the field during real games, against actual NFL starters and the results are considerably different.

In the case of Summers, sure he might be better than what we have at the other ILB spot, but that isn't saying much. There is a reason Summers was still around in the 7th round. While he had some nice plays in PS, he also had some really ugly missed tackles and lost moments on coverage. Summers might be good in another year or two, but he isn't the answer right now IMO.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather find out with him working alongside Martinez, rather than just not giving him a shot, watching Martinez wearing out.

You cannot know if you don't try.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do I know? Past history. We see this every year, our favorite preseason All Stars, lightening it up against other guys who aren't that good. Then you put them on the field during real games, against actual NFL starters and the results are considerably different.

In the case of Summers, sure he might be better than what we have at the other ILB spot, but that isn't saying much. There is a reason Summers was still around in the 7th round. While he had some nice plays in PS, he also had some really ugly missed tackles and lost moments on coverage. Summers might be good in another year or two, but he isn't the answer right now IMO.
I think some posters forget that the coaches see these guys every day in practice.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think some posters forget that the coaches see these guys every day in practice.

Yup and we all fall into that Preseason trap of thinking a player is going to be really good because of those few little highlight plays that we see in Preseason, I've done it countless times.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could have had McDaniels. MLF was exposed last night, bad. he hasn't coached a good second half yet. Seems to have a deer in headlights look.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tonight was disappointing/discouraging but if we were told in August we'd be 3-1 at this point we'd all take it. However we have to find a fix for our running game and run defense or it will be a long season going forward.
Agree 3-1 is pretty good. There are some disturbing trends, however. Regarding the title of this thread, you can see now why some of the enthusiasm has been tempered.

Thinking about team identities, why is it so hard for this team to field a good running game or a good defense? Even when we had Ahman Green, we still couldn't count on the team to convert a third and one.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could have had McDaniels. MLF was exposed last night, bad. he hasn't coached a good second half yet. Seems to have a deer in headlights look.

And McDaniels has been exposed as a tire fire outside of New England.

**** that stupid overrated hack

Members online

Latest posts