So they didn't belong in the NFL huh???

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't seem from this current status report on these guys that we're missing much. Back up players on lousy teams for the most part.

If the goal is to upgrade the quality of talent to get us back into the playoffs it doesn't appear there is any room for these guys on the roster.

It's guys like these that will get you to 8-8 and stay there. No thanks.

BoydAvery

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
It doesn't seem from this current status report on these guys that we're missing much. Back up players on lousy teams for the most part.

If the goal is to upgrade the quality of talent to get us back into the playoffs it doesn't appear there is any room for these guys on the roster.

It's guys like these that will get you to 8-8 and stay there. No thanks.

Excellent post. Right on the money.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All the guys mentioned in this post were just so-so players. You have to try to upgrade from them if you have a chance. That is what they have done.
I liked Chatman's tough attitude for a small WR. But he was what he was, and wasn't going to be more then that. As a PR, he got only one long return. Most were fair catches or he'd get tackled after 2 or 3 yards. Will we end up missing that? Maybe, if they don't improve. But i'd like to see a PR that puts some fear into the opposing team. Someone that every time they touch the ball, they might take it to the house. (Like Howard and Rossum did)
You can stay with the "sure thing", or try to improve. I'm for the trying to improve mode.
I liked Fish too, but he was what he was......a 3rd down back. NOT a guy that would get you the yards on first or second. We saw that plenty of times. He'd get stuffed at the line. Now, out of the backfield on 3rd, he has GREAT hands! But he was what he was, nothing more.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cheesy I would love a breakaway returner to but I'll take Chatman and his fair catches any day over what we've been seeing so far. I hardly ever get upset when a guy calls fair catch as long as he always grabs it

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Fisher wasn't cut. He signed with a different team that he felt he would get more time.

Chatman, the Packers stated numerous times they wanted bigger WR.

Code:
declaring that they did not belong in the NFL

I missed this from Ted Thompson. Where did he say Chatman and Fisher do not belong in the NFL?

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fisher was told by TT that the Packers would not be offering him a contract -- shortly after St Louis offered him a free agent deal to be their 3rd down back that he quickly signed

Zero2Cool said:
Fisher wasn't cut. He signed with a different team that he felt he would get more time.

Code:

I missed this from Ted Thompson. Where did he say Chatman and Fisher do not belong in the NFL?

Zero: I know you can read, look at my post and tell me where I claimed that Ted Thompson said any such thing>

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pantherd said:
Bruce said:
Tony Fischer is the #2 HB, their 3rd down RB and playing on all of the special teams for the St Louis Cardinals.

St Louis Cardinals? You mean the St Louis Rams or the Arizona Cardinals? If he's playing for the St Louis Cardinals... then I'd have to agree that he doesn't belong in the NFL, but would fit in just fine in the MLB.

LOL I guess it was a slip that shows my age. Of course I meant the St Louis Rams.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Bruce said:
Zero: I know you can read, look at my post and tell me where I claimed that Ted Thompson said any such thing>
It's obvious I can read.
Why the staff allows such childish rubish like that is beyond me.

Bruce said:
Some writers like Christl and a good many posters lavished great praise upon Ted Thompson for cutting ties with players like Tony Fischer, Antonio Chatman, Mark Roman... declaring that they did not belong in the NFL.
I'll start over. Where are you getting the 'declaring they did not belong in the NFL?' Who is saying that? Implied by the lack of resigning said players or cutting them?

It's vague leaving the reader(atleast myself) to assume it was Ted, maybe Christl, maybe 'good many' posters or perhaps the lack of keeping them on the team.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Bruce said:
It's obvious I can read.
Why the staff allows such childish rubish like that is beyond me.

Bruce said:
Some writers like Christl and a good many posters lavished great praise upon Ted Thompson for cutting ties with players like Tony Fischer, Antonio Chatman, Mark Roman... declaring that they did not belong in the NFL.
I'll start over. Where are you getting the 'declaring they did not belong in the NFL?' Who is saying that? Implied by the lack of resigning said players or cutting them?

It's vague leaving the reader(atleast myself) to assume it was Ted, maybe Christl, maybe 'good many' posters or perhaps the lack of keeping them on the team.

The article I wrote starts with:

"Some writers like Christl and a good many posters lavished great praise upon Ted Thompson for cutting ties with players like Tony Fischer, Antonio Chatman, Mark Roman... declaring that they did not belong in the NFL."

I fail to see how the subject of the above sentence (the first in my reprinted article) is vague or unclear, but here I have underlined it for you. How saying that you should go back and read the post and explain to me where I wrote Ted Thompson said this is a legitimate question, esp. since you were questioning and asking me to produce proof that Ted Thompson did. I am not sure what is confusing about "cutting ties either, especially since I already acknowledged that Fisher left as an UFA but maybe that is just me.

You are a nice young man who makes solid contributions to this site, which I have gone out of my way to praise. Why you would be looking for a fight with me and bringing in the moderators is as beyond me as the subject in the first sentence seems to be to you
? :wink:

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
All the guys mentioned in this post were just so-so players. You have to try to upgrade from them if you have a chance. That is what they have done.
I liked Chatman's tough attitude for a small WR. But he was what he was, and wasn't going to be more then that. As a PR, he got only one long return. Most were fair catches or he'd get tackled after 2 or 3 yards. Will we end up missing that? Maybe, if they don't improve. But i'd like to see a PR that puts some fear into the opposing team. Someone that every time they touch the ball, they might take it to the house. (Like Howard and Rossum did)
You can stay with the "sure thing", or try to improve. I'm for the trying to improve mode.
I liked Fish too, but he was what he was......a 3rd down back. NOT a guy that would get you the yards on first or second. We saw that plenty of times. He'd get stuffed at the line. Now, out of the backfield on 3rd, he has GREAT hands! But he was what he was, nothing more.

There's nothing wrong with working to upgrade the team. That's exactly what TT should be doing of course. But in these cases GB had 3 solid, experienced veteran players who contributed to the team. These players were young and cheap.

So it would have been wise to retain them while bringing in guys to compete. Then leave it to the better players to win the job.

Are these moves going to mean the difference between winning the Super Bowl or not making the playoffs? probably not. But these moves are consistent with what TT has been doing all along, and that is why the Packers are so inexperienced and make so many mistakes.

We now have 27 players on the roster with 1 year or less of NFL experience. I'm all for building a better team, but we don't have the veteran leadership to be successful.

Favre mentioned this is the most talented team he's been on, but the least experienced. The Super Bowl teams were not as talented, but they were the most experienced. I believe that right there says a lot about how important it is to have experience.

GO PACK GO!!!

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They certainly belong in the NFL. They are not, however special players that will make the difference in a team being a playoff power or an also ran. They are guys that can contribute, but not change a game. This type of player is a dime a dozen.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
spardo62 said:
They certainly belong in the NFL. They are not, however special players that will make the difference in a team being a playoff power or an also ran. They are guys that can contribute, but not change a game. This type of player is a dime a dozen.

Gee... I remember hearing similar comments about replacing Wahle and Rivera last year...

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
did you just equate chatman and fishers significance to this team...to wahle and rivieras significance.

wahle cannot be immediately replaced.

fisher and chatman have both been replaced already ... why in gods name are people making a fuss out two backups that were never anything to brag about.... lets get a grip here.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
did you just equate chatman and fishers significance to this team...to wahle and rivieras significance.

fisher and chatman have both been replaced already ... why in gods name are people making a fuss out two backups that were never anything to brag about.... lets get a grip here.

No. I was merely trying to point out that solid veteran players who contribute are not that easy to replace. Sorry for any confusion, but I already stated earlier that these guys are not going to be the difference in us even getting to the playoffs.

As for Wahle and Rivera, I do believe that with them GB could have made the playoffs last year. They were a big reason we struggled on offense. We lost a large number of games by only a few points because we struggled on offense.

Basically TT seems to be very quick to cast aside players who have been positively contributing before having adequate replacements for them. The argument was that these players are easy to replace.

So far we don't have much for experience at safety behind our starters (one of whom was injured for most of TC and looked pathetic in preseason outings). We also have to use our starting CB (whose injury-prone) as our PR. Herron is a good player, but he's not as reliable in protection as Fisher nor is he as effective on 3rd down. He's a replacement, but not an improvement.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

Code:

Bigger receivers?.....like Greg Jennings......or Donald Driver......this **** don't fly no more.

Wake up for Christ's sake. Bruce made a great point. You guys say that Sherman sucks because if he was any good someone would have picked him up as a head coach. However, the same "thinking" apparently doesn't go with players.

Whoever the genius was that posted these guys are "just backup players on lousy teams" apparently didn't watch the Packers have their collective ****s handed to them by the Bengals.

Bruce....please stop bringing threads to this site that makes sense if it portrays Lord Ted Thompson in anything other than a blindingly bright light. There is a group on here, that I will not name for fear of being banned, that truly thinks the man (all 4-12 of him) can do no wrong!

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
Packnic said:

No. I was merely trying to point out that solid veteran players who contribute are not that easy to replace. Sorry for any confusion, but I already stated earlier that these guys are not going to be the difference in us even getting to the playoffs.

Basically TT seems to be very quick to cast aside players who have been positively contributing before having adequate replacements for them. The argument was that these players are easy to replace.

So far we don't have much for experience at safety behind our starters (one of whom was injured for most of TC and looked pathetic in preseason outings). We also have to use our starting CB (whose injury-prone) as our PR. Herron is a good player, but he's not as reliable in protection as Fisher nor is he as effective on 3rd down. He's a replacement, but not an improvement.

I disagree with Wahle and Rivara getting us to the playoffs last year.

1) We had way to many injuries to the guys that we count on to put points on the board. Staying healthy or being extremely deep, which we were neither, is critical to a successful season.

2) Make no mistake the defense we put on the field last year would have gotten cut to ribbons had we even smelled the playoffs. We were not close to good enough on that side of the ball.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Zero2Cool said:

Code:

Bigger receivers?.....like Greg Jennings......or Donald Driver......this **** don't fly no more.

Wake up for Christ's sake. Bruce made a great point. You guys say that Sherman sucks because if he was any good someone would have picked him up as a head coach. However, the same "thinking" apparently doesn't go with players.

Whoever the genius was that posted these guys are "just backup players on lousy teams" apparently didn't watch the Packers have their collective ****s handed to them by the Bengals.

Bruce....please stop bringing threads to this site that makes sense if it portrays Lord Ted Thompson in anything other than a blindingly bright light. There is a group on here, that I will not name for fear of being banned, that truly thinks the man (all 4-12 of him) can do no wrong!

Uh...I happen to be the "genius" that pointed out the FACTS that these were nothing more than backups on lousy teams.

You all want a winner and you want it now but the facts are we didn't have the quality players on this team to get us there and the sooner we purge those that keep us in mediocrity the sooner we get there.

I was also the one that pointed out we were by far the most talented team in this division for several years and by the start of '05 we didn't have but a couple of players that could start on the Bears defense.

do you not agree that we had lost our position and how long do we ignore the point brought out by our former GM that this team was stocked with Europe League talent?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
DePack said:
Zero2Cool said:

Code:

Uh...I happen to be the "genius" that pointed out the FACTS that these were nothing more than backups on lousy teams.

You all want a winner and you want it now but the facts are we didn't have the quality players on this team to get us there and the sooner we purge those that keep us in mediocrity the sooner we get there.

I was also the one that pointed out we were by far the most talented team in this division for several years and by the start of '05 we didn't have but a couple of players that could start on the Bears defense.

do you not agree that we had lost our position and how long do we ignore the point brought out by our former GM that this team was stocked with Europe League talent?

UMM......subject changed. Are you really saying the Bengals are a lousy team?

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
spardo62 said:

Gee... I remember hearing similar comments about replacing Wahle and Rivera last year...

Rivera is not that special, especially at a position where you only have 1 or 2 elite players. Wahle is close to the elite level, but again they would not have significantly helped last year or this year as the only elite player on this team is Favre.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The subject hasn't changed a damn bit. No, I don't think Cincy is a bad team but I can tell you if they do get to the SB this year it aint A. Chatman that get's them there. O.K.?

They have BUILT a team around solid players and can now add a guy here or there.

You tell me how we become a playoff team with players that cannot start on other teams? i would love to hear the strategy there.

If i remember correctly Roman was let go when we did so that he could have a chance to catch on with another team. I never once heard TT say he didn't think the guy belonged in the NFL.

I think he's right where he should be. A backup on another team. I would rather have Culver and his upside and get him some experience anyday. Your telling me you would rather see Roman there backing up meaning we let Culver go?

We go with thinking like that and we'll never see this team in the SB again.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
The subject hasn't changed a damn bit. No, I don't think Cincy is a bad team but I can tell you if they do get to the SB this year it aint A. Chatman that get's them there. O.K.?

They have BUILT a team around solid players and can now add a guy here or there.

You tell me how we become a playoff team with players that cannot start on other teams? i would love to hear the strategy there.

If i remember correctly Roman was let go when we did so that he could have a chance to catch on with another team. I never once heard TT say he didn't think the guy belonged in the NFL.

I think he's right where he should be. A backup on another team. I would rather have Culver and his upside and get him some experience anyday. Your telling me you would rather see Roman there backing up meaning we let Culver go?

We go with thinking like that and we'll never see this team in the SB again.

thats the whole basis of TTs plan and what we are trying to say. Get rid of medium more expensive BACKUPS in favor of young talented players with upside. you build for the future. with an eye on the cap... you dont keep people like roman on just because hes one madden rating better than culver.

how much better is roman than culver? i guess since hes a rookie he must be more terrible than roman. cause thats how it always works right...

Members online

Latest posts