So is this win MS' fault?!?

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This team had every reason to throw in the towel, instead they yet again came out w/ fire and passion, running all over the field like they were playing for a final roster spot, and playing some very good crisp football.

There were some excellent examples of creative play calls too. 1st 'n goal at the one... inc. pass...2nd, Leach in the back field, they bring Henderson in motion to run block (I even said outloud...gonna jam it down their throats), but they fool me and the saints w/ play action to David Martin...TD

W/ that said...does MS have his faults-YES!...should the Pack be 1-4-NO!, am I less than pleased about that -no doubt, and I don't care if you ultimately think he's not good enough for the job, but at least don't say "the guy literally can't coach." He managed to do it today.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did Sherman recover the fumbles? Intercept? Did Sherman NOT hold the receiver? Sherman didn't gang tackle either or sack the QB... OR NOT jump off before the snap...

He didn't so I guess he had NO bearing in the win...

Right?...

By the way, I'd like to congratulate the Bears for playing above their potential yet again! They held the lead against the Browns deep into the 4th Quarter... Nice try!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman still did stupid things, like not pull favre out earlier, like graham on packersnews.com said.

he is still a horrible coach.

Packman4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
This team had every reason to throw in the towel, instead they yet again came out w/ fire and passion, running all over the field like they were playing for a final roster spot, and playing some very good crisp football.

There were some excellent examples of creative play calls too. 1st 'n goal at the one... inc. pass...2nd, Leach in the back field, they bring Henderson in motion to run block (I even said outloud...gonna jam it down their throats), but they fool me and the saints w/ play action to David Martin...TD

W/ that said...does MS have his faults-YES!...should the Pack be 1-4-NO!, am I less than pleased about that -no doubt, and I don't care if you ultimately think he's not good enough for the job, but at least don't say "the guy literally can't coach." He managed to do it today.

Yep! Just like last year in the playoffs, or against Atlanta in the Playoffs! And Oh, lets not forget that outstanding performance against the Jets a couple of years ago.

Innnnnnnnnnnspiring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Sherman still did stupid things, like not pull favre out earlier, like graham on packersnews.com said.

he is still a horrible coach.

well rodgers didnt screw up. favre had a heck of a game, he deserved a break. send him to disney world for his birthday.

Packman4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, I was talking about that inspiring last game of the season vs. the Jets a couple of years ago...... What an egg that was!

But yes, the Rams as well!

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what were brett's stats in the Rams' game?

How inspired was Belichek's team last week vs. San Diego?!?

Again, I'm not saying MS doesn't have deficiencies...I'm just debating the claims that he has NO ability to motivate, inspire, coach, game plan, play call, etc. To what extent... that's debatable...guys like DePack and myself think more so than others, but don't say (and I'm not saying you are, packman) MS literally can't do any of those things...he demonstrated today that he at least has SOME ability to get his team ready to play.

My one other issue is that all the ppl that want to see MS get fired....if the Pack lost today, we know all of the items MS would be blamed for...play calling, motivation, blah blah blah...but if the Packers win, you never see him credited for those categories, NEVER.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How is it that it took this team five games to realize the season had started? The m/o on Sherman is that he can't get his players up and ready to play. They commit too many penalties, don't execute, and mostly they don't play hard all the time. Today was the best they have played all year. They were awful in preseason, as they were last year. It took them 5 games last year to start playing well too and by the end of the season they were spent and lost to the Queens in the first round. Do I blame Mike Sherman? Yes I do. With the exception of the talent drafted this year, this is Mike Sherman's team. Not withstanding the injuries, it is a team lacking in personel and lacking in spirit, and lacking a will to win and compete. I truly wanted to give Mike a chance this year to see if he truly was a good coach, but you can't come out of the shoot like his teams seem to do and then expect to keep your job. I think Thompson see's the same things I do and is probably wondering exactly the same thing.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
How is it that it took this team five games to realize the season had started? The m/o on Sherman is that he can't get his players up and ready to play. They commit too many penalties, don't execute, and mostly they don't play hard all the time. Today was the best they have played all year. They were awful in preseason, as they were last year. It took them 5 games last year to start playing well too and by the end of the season they were spent and lost to the Queens in the first round. Do I blame Mike Sherman? Yes I do. With the exception of the talent drafted this year, this is Mike Sherman's team. Not withstanding the injuries, it is a team lacking in personel and lacking in spirit, and lacking a will to win and compete. I truly wanted to give Mike a chance this year to see if he truly was a good coach, but you can't come out of the shoot like his teams seem to do and then expect to keep your job. I think Thompson see's the same things I do and is probably wondering exactly the same thing.

Look,
If you are going to attack Sherman when they are losing, AT LEAST have the decency to give the man some credit when we win.

Your mind set is that of a spoiled rotten child who ONLY belives what he wants to and that's it!

Why don't you all admit it. He called a good game and the Packers excuted this time.

Your anti-sherman argument would have more validity if you actually gave him some credit when they do well... Unless you are like some fans who are hoping the Packers lose EVERY game so you guys can be right...

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look,
If you are going to attack Sherman when they are losing, AT LEAST have the decency to give the man some credit when we win.

Your mind set is that of a spoiled rotten child who ONLY belives what he wants to and that's it!

Why don't you all admit it. He called a good game and the Packers excuted this time.

Your anti-sherman argument would have more validity if you actually gave him some credit when they do well... Unless you are like some fans who are hoping the Packers lose EVERY game so you guys can be right...[/quote]

I totally agree with you. Some people just complain to complain. Mike Sherman is really their favorite person right now because it is hard to defend him, that is until yesterdays game when"The Plan" actually worked, now they have to admit(but never will)that Sherman isn't wrong with everything he does.

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not among those who believe MS is a bad coach. Never have been.

For one, we lost 3 of those 4 games by 1, 2, & 3 points.

Two, coach got this injury-riddled team ready for the Saints and his players produced for him in a big, big way.

Three, he got the run game going with second/third stringers, which got the play-action stuff going, a game plan tailor made for his best weapon, FavreO.

Four, he gave us some brilliant play-calling. For example, inserting 3 backs at the goal line with a pass play called on that one TD play. Al Harris in a cover-two on that interception. Good stuff.

Yes. This win is, in part, Sherm's fault and the coach (our coach) deserves credit when credit is due.

BTW. Am guessing that Mike McKenzie wanted to come into Lambeau yesterday and assault the Pack in no uncertain terms to prove his points about Sherman. Well, who showed who? 'nuf said.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is Bob "Freak" McGinn's analysis, my friends. As you know, Bob doesn't mind socking it to the Packers...these are HIS words, not mine about what Mike Sherman and the coaching staff did Sunday...

-----------
Showing the way
Harris, Favre lead big-play barrage
By BOB McGINN
[email protected]
Posted: Oct. 9, 2005
Green Bay - It was an avalanche of epic proportion, this 52-3 trampling of the New Orleans Saints at Lambeau Field.

What Sunday strongly indicated is that the Green Bay Packers should never in a million years have started the season with a 0-4 record. Brett Favre still is too good, there's too much continuity throughout the organization and coach Mike Sherman's schemes on both sides of the ball are too sound.

Can you imagine the Packers just going through the motions as the Saints did on this crisp, sunny autumn afternoon? That just wouldn't fly in Wisconsin, where pro football is more religion than sport. If the Packers ever reach the point where they're ready to quit on a season, their fans wouldn't let them.

No way can the Packers perform like this every week. Their number of truly outstanding plays was astounding. That's why the 49-point spread represented the Packers' largest margin of victory in 38 years.

-------------

That's from Bob "Freak" McGinn. He sees the team every work day.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Sherman called a very aggressive and creative offense today. The results speak for themselves when the offense is allowed to play up to its potential. The question is, why did it take until week 5, a point of sheer desperation, to see this kind of game called?

Again, Sherman deserves credit for this gameplan on offense. Let's see if he keeps it up, or if the Packers go back to their plodding and predictable selves on offense.

Beyond that...where the hell has David Martin been all these years....and how about that Lee kid. Looks like we have foundsome depth at TE with these guys. I am especially impressed with Lee.

IndiPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love it, GB grinds the Saints to pulp, with a lotta backup and reserve players, and still the moaning continues. "Woe is us, Sherm can't coach! Whatever shall we do?" The final score speaks well enough for the coaching staff and team. The offense was consistently effective, overcoming their red-zone complex, and the defense was superb from start to finish. That was an amazing performance by any team, let alone one with as many injuries as Green Bay has now, and nevermind the temptation to phone it in after 0 and 4. Cry when we lose, if that's what you wanna do, not when we nuke the competition.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IndiPack said:
I love it, GB grinds the Saints to pulp, with a lotta backup and reserve players, and still the moaning continues...

Cry when we lose, if that's what you wanna do, not when we nuke the competition.

AMEN

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good article - Net..... nice read, here's another one from Chris Havel.

Posted Oct. 10, 2005
by Chris Havel at PackersNews

Why did it take so long to earn first victory?

In a game that pitted the winless against the homeless, the Green Bay Packers were in no position to take pity upon the New Orleans Saints.

The Packers’ 52-3 victory over the itinerant Saints, whose Superdome went on injured reserve after the late August hit by Hurricane Katrina, was as necessary as it was impressive.

It gave the Packers a badly needed booster shot of confidence going into the bye weekend. It also gave them their first victory on a day of firsts, and a reason to believe they can compete — and win — despite the injuries, adversity and adolescence.

“Well, there’s still hope,â€

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"A "glaring" point of view, totally.

WHY IS IT TAKING SO LONG, MR. Sherman?

I would also offer that N.O. Saints weren't exactly the BEST team on the map, either - we basically have proven the Green Bay Packers are "experts" at beating themselves... Had it been the Eagles, or Denver - we would have still had a hard time of it.. What's more threatening at this point is the loss of Najeh Davenport."

YOU mean to say that their 1 point loss to TB, their 2 point loss to the Browns and the 3 point loss to Carolina were because those teams were superior to the Saints?

Covering you bases on the point of view is fine but, Packers, the way they played sumday would have beaten ANY team in the NFL. May be NOT by as much but, They would have beaten the Eagles, Steelers, Colts, Patriots, ANYONE!

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wishful thinking....

Sherman and his micro-manage ways would have been outplayed on the Chess table by Belicheck. He's nowhere near ready for playing the Patriots, even in their delapidated form... the Falcons didn't do any better against them, either... when all thought it would be otherwise.

At this point in time - NO - I don't think the Packers can beat the Colts.
Dungy can certainly out design any game against Sherman.
Besides, I wasn't the first to as WHY - Chris Havel was... it's his Article.
No team out there can win a game with over 10 penalties.... or more!

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have you forgotten that on the first kickoff we fumbled the ball and had to take a knee in the end zone and that on the first series Davenport fumbled the ball. Now granted they recovered and they played a hell of a game today. I will aks you all the same question. What does it take a Mike Sherman team five games to wake up and realize the season has started? You have to admit this is a team that lacks motivation to play and it is a team that by and large is very poorly coached and rarely prepared to play. If you've read any of my posts I said I liked the fact that he made some changes to his coaching staff, whether they are good changes remains to be seen. I love the Bates hire. I've been a fan of the Packers for 45 years. I've seen it all. Sherman is the next of a long line of coaches that resemble Bart Starr, Forrest Gregg, Dan Devine and Lindy Infante. The difference between all those guys and Mike Holmgren (who I was really angry at for wanting out of Green Bay) is that Holmgren made his players accountable to him for mistakes. Mike's early teams had virtually no quality receivers, but the caught the ball. The line was suspect, but they blocked, the defense was young but they hit hard and defended well. Mostly they were a team that played hard. I can't recall too many games in the Sherman era where his team came out and played hard and beat the snot out of someone. I've give Sherman credit when he earns not, but I'm not going to credit a guy for doing a good job when he hasn't. I love that we won yesterday, I'm just miffed that with all those injuries, how can they put a game together like that?

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers won and it was Dr. McKenzie's fault. He could have had all the injured players stay on the bench so the Saints could have won. That would have been better for the Packers.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
..I will aks you all the same question. What does it take a Mike Sherman team five games to wake up and realize the season has started? You have to admit this is a team that lacks motivation to play and it is a team that by and large is very poorly coached and rarely prepared to play.

If you've read any of my posts I said I liked the fact that he made some changes to his coaching staff, whether they are good changes remains to be seen. I love the Bates hire.

I've been a fan of the Packers for 45 years. I've seen it all. Sherman is the next of a long line of coaches that resemble Bart Starr, Forrest Gregg, Dan Devine and Lindy Infante.

The difference between all those guys and Mike Holmgren (who I was really angry at for wanting out of Green Bay) is that Holmgren made his players accountable to him for mistakes.

Mike's early teams had virtually no quality receivers, but, "they caught the ball". The line was suspect, "but they blocked", the defense was young but "they hit hard and defended well". Mostly they were a team that played hard. I can't recall too many games in the Sherman era where his team came out and played hard and beat the snot out of someone.

I've give Sherman credit when he earns not, but I'm not going to credit a guy for doing a good job when he hasn't. I love that we won yesterday, I'm just miffed that with all those injuries, how can they put a game together like that?

You can see where my focus is on this comment - and I heartily agree.
It is, and remains, the real difference maker in "WHY" the Packers have not found themsleves back in the SuperBowl, when we've had the weapons (remember 2003 ? ) to get there.... My contention is that with our personnel - up until this year, that is - we should have been in the NFC Champ game three years in-a-row.. hands down!

Call it what ya like, a father figure - a warden, whatever.. the Players need to be walking with a bit of fear for their careers while out there on the field... and that means, at all times.. otherwise, we have what we are seeing now - "complacency".... A Lombardi type Coach would wake up this sleeping Lion and get us there.... Right now, this Team is very much lke the first two or three years of Mike Holmgren.

Members online

Latest posts