So I guess the city of Green Bay is not the problem...

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
there has been speculation over the years that free agents simply do not want to be in Green Bay. Although I am sure that is true in some cases, I think that theory can be put to rest. And while it remains yet to be seen if activity in free agency will help this team or not, it is already pretty obvious that the former GM was simply 100% adverse to free agency unless he was scraping the bottom of the barrel.

For the record I am really glad the Packers did not try and pay either Butler or Johnson the kind of money they got even though that leaves some rather big concerns at cb at this point.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
there has been speculation over the years that free agents simply do not want to be in Green Bay. Although I am sure that is true in some cases, I think that theory can be put to rest. And while it remains yet to be seen if activity in free agency will help this team or not, it is already pretty obvious that the former GM was simply 100% adverse to free agency unless he was scraping the bottom of the barrel.

For the record I am really glad the Packers did not try and pay either Butler or Johnson the kind of money they got even though that leaves some rather big concerns at cb at this point.
I have no doubt, Green Bay is a problem for some players. We will never know the impact because few players would be inclined to belittle an NFL city by making public their aversion to GB. So, no, I don't see any reason to put the theory to rest. Signing 2 guys only shows those two guys are not averse.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plus these guys are somewhat older and hence will probably feel less appealed to a big nightlife anyway

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
If a guy doesn’t want to come to Green Bay because the party scene is not on point, aren’t we better without that player? The playboys of the league cause distraction. Remember OBJ and company before coming to GB for a road playoff game? These guys are distracted, better off without them IF that is the reason they don’t want to be apart of the organization.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Green Bay is appealing right now because of Aaron Rodgers and the possibility to win.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Some of the young guys are single and like nightclubs and nightlife.

Some are family guys and care about that stuff a lot less.

Some come to Green Bay and never want to leave - Jordy Nelson. Some can't wait to get out of town -Damarious Randall.

It all depends on what you are looking for at that stage in your life.

Reaction score
IMO the lack of “nightlife” is low on the totem pole altogether.
My theory is IF there is any aversion to the area of Green Bay by a prospective player for the aforementioned reasons, it has a diminishing weight in relationship to increasing contract dollars.

If it’s a minimal contract under 1M it’s probably a factor for a few prospects, with all regional offers relatively equal.
As the money goes North of 5M the issue loses its salt altogether

So in effect the only players this would affect are the ones who are minimal impact players.

D

Deleted member 6794

Right. But we haven't seen the Packers be this proactive in free agency in those 8 years.

True, the point of this thread being that a lot of Thompson supporters used Green Bay not being attractive to free agents as an excuse for TT not being more active in signing veterans.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
True, the point of this thread being that a lot of Thompson supporters used Green Bay not being attractive to free agents as an excuse for TT not being more active in signing veterans.
I think we are all on the same page. The "players don't want to come to Green Bay" excuse of the past several years has been a very lame one. The only difference now is that we have a proactive GM that values all methods at his disposal in team building.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think we are all on the same page. The "players don't want to come to Green Bay" excuse of the past several years has been a very lame one. The only difference now is that we have a proactive GM that values all methods at his disposal in team building.

There are definitely NFL players who don't want to play in Green Bay because of the lack of entertainment. In my opinion that is to the Packers' benefit though as the team only attracts guys completely focused on football.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
That's not a new or original observation. PreRon Wolf, black players didn't want to come to Green Bay. Young players didn't want to come to Green Bay ... blah blah blah ...

I remember a Sports Illustrated article back in the 80's where the locals were viewed as raceists by many NFL players...

Then Wolf came and opened the checkbook and Wisconsinites suddenly weren't anymore.

NFL players are a commodity whether they'll admit it or not. They will follow the Benjamins.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
again...GB is what it is. there's no changing that. it's all about the money. if you want great players there's only two ways to get them...draft well and pay well.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

I’m not sure I’d describe Woodson, Pickett and Peppers as the bottom of the barrel.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m guilty of saying players don’t come to GB because it’s boring. But at the same time I know that Rodgers changes some things..but not all. It’s still guys who see GB as a place where you come as a last resort...or if they pay you the most money.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
word is Wilkerson came even tho GB low balled him?

so it isn't all about money for some

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There will always be guys not wanting to live in the "slow lane." I'm just outside of Tulsa and OKC is about a boring 1.5hr drive away. I hear the same rumblings about FA's not really wanting to join the Thunder because of the nightlife or lack thereof. Maybe it's because my teams are based in smaller markets (MIL, GB, OKC) but I don't want a guy if he's THAT concerned with extra curriculars. I get the need to do something on the weekends and being young/wealthy and wanting to get your groove on. I too possessed ONE of those traits years ago. If nightlife has that much bearing on one's decision than he probably isn't going to want to be there even if you draft him. A manager once told me "a sharp knife cuts bread better" and that applies here. If a guys not happy then he's unlikely to tap into his full potential. Give me a "buy-in" guy with maybe a tad less skill and I'll win with him. I do think it's made out to be a bigger deal than it is sometimes but undoubtedly it plays a factor is some players decision making process.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess most NFL player sign with the team offering the most money.

Most. But in this case I’m referring to the top guys that hit the market. It’s nit always the case tho...some guys will sign for cheaper deals for various reasons. I just recently heard the Vikings wanted to give Brees a deal for 2 yrs 64 mil..he turned it down to stay in NO...Cousins wasn’t their first choice. Also, Sherman turned down more money just to stay in the division because he wants revenge on the Seahawks. It just all depends.