Slocum has saved his job.

Mr. Lahey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been pining for slocum to be let go much of this season (to friends cause i am not a big message boarder). but i have to admit, when the biggest games surfaced, our special teams played great. Not just average, but great. A real nice improvement from what had been the trend.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Lol. No.

Why did we punt to Jackson? How many different guys did we have returning kicks and punts (Woodson? really?)

It will take more than 2 games of serviceable ST to convince me that this guy deserves his job after years of embarrassing ST.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NO - I ant him gone. I dont care what anyone says our special needs teams has been atrocious all year during the regular season. 1 game does not a season make.

OP
OP
M

Mr. Lahey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah and that touched punt was just bullsh*t

yes, it was not a legit turnover.

We did punt to jackson, but i seems that masthay is good enough to trust as of late. an angle punt is a more of a gamble than punting to jackson in that situation. too many times we see 32 yd. punts on an angle kick. we needed a good, high kick to squeeze every second out of their last drive. it took trust, and masthay delivered.

OP
OP
M

Mr. Lahey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NO - I ant him gone. I dont care what anyone says our special needs teams has been atrocious all year during the regular season. 1 game does not a season make.

that was my point. it hasn't been "just one game." every elimination game the packers have played in, special teams have been solid. a large factor getting into the playoffs and advancing.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
yes, it was not a legit turnover.

We did punt to jackson, but i seems that masthay is good enough to trust as of late. an angle punt is a more of a gamble than punting to jackson in that situation. too many times we see 32 yd. punts on an angle kick. we needed a good, high kick to squeeze every second out of their last drive. it took trust, and masthay delivered.
The problem is that if we punt to Jackson, it's not on Masthay, it's on the coverage. That's what I don't trust.

Texpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. I think Masthay is doing a good job. The coverage is suspect but Jarett Bush did make some good plays in the game today. Maybe by voted Team Captain, he is playing with more confidence.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saved his job?

You people are forgetting how many games ST has cost us. WAS (missed FG), MIA (player lined up over snapper), CHI, ATL... All this season.

Today, Underwood doesn't know that he should fall down? That's coaching.

Slocum should still go.

OP
OP
M

Mr. Lahey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saved his job?

You people are forgetting how many games ST has cost us. WAS (missed FG), MIA (player lined up over snapper), CHI, ATL... All this season.

Today, Underwood doesn't know that he should fall down? That's coaching.

Slocum should still go.

missed field goals? really? that's your argument for bad special teams? c'mon. that has absolutely no bearing on a special teams' coaches' job. i am not really sticking up for slocum, i am just stating that he has saved his job. agree or not, he will not be fired.

p.s. that "lined up over the center" call was not legit. he was 3 yards off the line and that's what they teach. but i digress...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
missed field goals? really? that's your argument for bad special teams? c'mon. that has absolutely no bearing on a special teams' coaches' job. i am not really sticking up for slocum, i am just stating that he has saved his job. agree or not, he will not be fired.

p.s. that "lined up over the center" call was not legit. he was 3 yards off the line and that's what they teach. but i digress...
It's the ST coaches' job to teach the guy how to kick properly, it's their job to make sure the snapper is right all the time, it's their job to make sure the holder does his job rigth everytime.

Matter of fact, ST has costen us at leat 2 games (CHI and ATL for sure, I agree that MIA and WAS is a little bit of a stretch). It has costen us games before.

Has it won any games for us? We used to win games with Desmon Howard. Did the ST ever WON a game for us under Slocum? I know it costed a bunch...

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
I vaguely remember watching some offensive lineman run a kickoff back for 71 yards. That's forgivable, though.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree special teams has been crap, but I'm willing to give Slocum a mulligan for this season.

Has anyone figured out yet WHY our special teams is crap THIS season specifically?

It's because every time we had a player go on IR, we had to replace them with a special teamer. And because we don't want to expose too many of our starters to needless injury, those players used to replace IRed players now have to be replaced. Often the only people left to replace them with are practice squadders or street free agents, neither of which are know to have a plethora of starting caliber talent.

So I'm willing to give Slocum a mulligan for THIS season. He's had to make do with a shallower pool of talent, and while at times it's but us in the ***, it's also been pretty damn good these past couple of weeks.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
Special teams has been very solid the past three weeks, and Slocum has secured his job for now i think. I wouldnt give him a free pass just yet though, even with the injuries as Spartachris pointed out. There are 3 games left assuming we keep winning, and if a special teams blunder ruins our chances at a SB im pretty sure most of us wont want slocum back.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Slocum and Campen are still suspect imo.

I give credit to MM for turning the team around after the Lion debacle. They have played inspired football since that loss. Regardless of how the rest of the playoffs go, I look for some changes after the season.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
I agree special teams has been crap, but I'm willing to give Slocum a mulligan for this season.

Has anyone figured out yet WHY our special teams is crap THIS season specifically?

It's because every time we had a player go on IR, we had to replace them with a special teamer. And because we don't want to expose too many of our starters to needless injury, those players used to replace IRed players now have to be replaced. Often the only people left to replace them with are practice squadders or street free agents, neither of which are know to have a plethora of starting caliber talent.

So I'm willing to give Slocum a mulligan for THIS season. He's had to make do with a shallower pool of talent, and while at times it's but us in the ***, it's also been pretty damn good these past couple of weeks.

2 things: first, yes, he gets a mulligan for this season because his deficits as a coach are masked by the injuries. I don't like it, because we WILL be a super bowl caliber team next year and I'd hate to lose a playoff game or something punting to a guy like DeSean. Secondly, where does that leave the previous seasons in this discussion. Sure this year may have truly saved his job because it was just manageable to prevent his firing, but I'm not going to say his job deserves to be saved. Id hate to see what it will take to finally get him fired.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For all accounts, Shawn Slocum is a coach that is extremely attent to detail. And there's the injury situation.

I can give him some slack in games that players got injuried DURING the game. That means some players playing ST weren't trained to do so.

But injuries IN THE SEASON are no excuse. The D isn't affected by it.

I just think, the body of work, the results, it speaks clearly against retaining him. But I'm not there day-to-day to fully evaluate...

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we play 3 more games this year and the Special Teams never allow a return over 15 yards, block 1 Punt and then Win the SB with a Kick Off Return Alla Desmond Howard.....

I would consider not firing Slocum!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts