Shouldn't Clifton be gone by now?

Mozhino

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before free agency started there was a lot of talk of creating some cap space, and it was almost a given that we would be cutting Clifton. This hasn't happened. I though if they were going to cut him they would do it by now so he could find a new home. Maybe we are just keeping him on our books for the season.
More on this at www.packersUK.com (i hope the link works, got no idea why it doesn't for some)

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a method to Ted's madness. I think we keep him until we absolutely need to cut him. He's not costing us anything until week 1, so why release him and let him get signed by one of our rivals unless we absolutely need it?

OP
OP
M

Mozhino

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True. He aint cost us anything. And we aint buying anything anyway....

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure where his head is at but he could very well be thinking about retiring at some point soon

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really hope he retires. He is going to end up one sore, hobbled, crippled up old man. Continuing to play will inly make it worse. Save the wear and tear and call it a career, Chad. We love ya. Now take care of yourself.

Reaction score
We almost need him for another year. Are you ready to give the blindside to Marshall Newhouse and Derek Sherrod? I don't want to move Bulaga out there. I also don't want to use one of our top picks on a OT

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We almost need him for another year. Are you ready to give the blindside to Marshall Newhouse and Derek Sherrod? I don't want to move Bulaga out there. I also don't want to use one of our top picks on a OT
Definitely not, considering Sherrod will be on PUP or IR all year.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something will happen. I wish he would retire as well so that he can have a decent quality of life moving forward. If for some reason they do keep him then you have to cut him and resign him because keeping him at his current salary is bad business. I think they are allowing him to retire as opposed to being cut.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess is that TT won't make the move until he needs the cap space to make a FA move, resign Wells/Grant/etc, or for some other cap reason. As to being a starter, Clifton is done. He's too broken down to be the starter but he would be a great veteran to keep as your backup tackle. I think that Newhouse is this decade's version of Earl Dotson. He can be our left tackle and essentially was last season. Sherrod has a long road to recovery so cutting then resigning Clifton to a backup contract would make a lot of sense.

The last thought of mine is that they are keeping him on the roster so that he can announce his retirement at a time of Clifton's choosing before roster cut-downs.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Why not? Newhouse played the position for a good chunk of the season last year and made huge improvements while learning on the job. He's more than capable of filling the role.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why not? Newhouse played the position for a good chunk of the season last year and made huge improvements while learning on the job. He's more than capable of filling the role.

agreed...he's one of the youngest guys on the roster and should have a huge improvement to next season. He played against some of the toughest pass rushers in the league and did fairly well for a young guy.

Reaction score
I think It is that I'm not ready to give the blindside to someone that I don't trust yet. What also scares me is the depth at that spot. Derek Sherrod hurt is still a question mark. Who would take the Lt spot if Newhouse did get hurt? Id hate for us to rearrange our offensive line. Our line is at its best when we have continuity along the front.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think It is that I'm not ready to give the blindside to someone that I don't trust yet. What also scares me is the depth at that spot. Derek Sherrod hurt is still a question mark. Who would take the Lt spot if Newhouse did get hurt? Id hate for us to rearrange our offensive line. Our line is at its best when we have continuity along the front.

I understand the concern, but he started 13 games for us last season and played in 16. At this point, I think the only place for him to go is up. I do share your concern about depth though. I've not seen any news on Sherrod's progress, but hopefully it's good.

Reaction score
I understand the concern, but he started 13 games for us last season and played in 16. At this point, I think the only place for him to go is up. I do share your concern about depth though. I've not seen any news on Sherrod's progress, but hopefully it's good.
That's true I think I'm always thinking the worst case scenario. I probably should trust him a lot more he did a good job filling in. Hopefully he can stay healthy and take the next step in becoming a good player

Members online

Latest posts