1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Should There Be Post Game Handshakes?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Guacamole, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Guacamole

Guacamole Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +93
  2. Greenbayphil

Greenbayphil Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +157
    It shows a level of respect for the game that everyone on the team should have for their opponents.
    Ofcourse there should be handshakes.

3. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings:
    +714
    I don't know, should there be medal award ceremonies after Olympic events? Of course there should be. It is supposed to have at least something to do with sportsmanship, and if the game has nothing to do with sportsmanship then why do we have any penalties at all for unsportsmanlike conduct?
    I think that it is important to keep sportsmanship in the "game" and therefore important to keep the formalities that embody sportsmanship: such as the handshake at the end of the game.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GreenBayGal

GreenBayGal Cheese Goddess

Ratings:
    +1,123
    I vote in favor of the handshake - a defined action that indicates respect toward one another. A wave is too vague and could possibly be limited to one finger.

• Like Like x 1
  5. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings:
    +714
    Why, is AJ going to be involved. j/k

• Like Like x 1
  6. Castle Of Cheese

Castle Of Cheese Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +17
    I absolutely think there should be postgame handshakes. Showing respect and sportsmanship is important at all levels of sports. I think the better question is, should coaches be allowed to act like immature, p*$sed off teenagers after a game.... Judging by the lack of a fine, apparently, the NFL thinks they should be.

7. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,422
    It's either that or they do a 2 man circle jerk

• Like Like x 1
  8. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings:
    +714
    Maybe for home games at Lambeau they could polka.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,442
    I've always thought it was a classy thing to do. It's a sign of respect, even for the losing teams. Not just the coaches do it, you often see the two QBs and other players shake hands and sometimes even hug after a game. I'm a fan of good sportsmanship. The fact that two teams can beat the hell out of one another one the field and then shake hands at the end says a lot.

• Like Like x 2
  10. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,231
    Ditto

11. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871
    I don't believe it should be a big deal. They've really blown the Harbaugh/Schwartz thing out of proportion. Yeah it was funny the first time but it got old after seeing it over all the highlights one day.

Back in the 80's this would not have been a big deal, just as you don't remember hearing about coaches that wouldn't shake hands. In 1986 or 1987 when Cleveland finally got their first ever win in Pittsburgh's Three River Stadium, Chuck Noll did not shake Marty Schotennhiemer's hand, he just walked off. That wasn't the big talk, the big talk was the scoreboard.

12. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,803
    Every summer I play amateur softball.
    At the end of every single game, both teams line up on the field opposite of the other passing by each other high fiving and pretty much just saying "Good game" to each player.
    If we do this in amateur competition, then why don't the pros do it too?
    Every pro sport should do this with each other.

13. Trapped In Vikingville

Trapped In Vikingville Trapped

Ratings:
    +156
    I don't really go for that "nice game' stuff. When I was younger and lived in Milwaukee, I always wanted dime beer day and bat day at the same time when we played the White Sox. (Brewers and White Sox were both American league at that time.)
    Trapped