Should There Be A New Stat In The Nfl?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The most INTs Favre ever threw in a season was 29 in 2005.
The most in NFL history in a single season is 42 for George Blanda with the 1962 Houston Oilers.

Favre led the league in INTs three times, however he also threw less than 20 INTs in 13 of his 19 seasons as a starter.

For his career, the number of INTs Favre threw was basically average. He just played for a really long time.
Well I suppose I could have put in like 450 INTs but I knew that would be a slight exaggeration. Not by much though.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
How do you decide if the pass was catch-able as opposed to thrown so fast, the receiver didn't have time to react. #4 fired some ropes that broke the receivers' fingers and were uncatch-able even though they hit the receivers in the hands.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Everybody knows that some INTs go against the QB but weren't his fault. Stats are like that. They are open to interpretation. Take the Packers pass defense yardage numbers. You can say it's because teams are throwing on us to catch up but at the same time they are completed passes.
I think it's good as it is. We all know how it works. Of course, you are free to watch every game in a season and come up with the stat yourself for argument's sake.
As for Bernt's INTs. It's not that he's thrown so many, it's the untimely manner in which he throws them. You know, like in big games such as the NFCCG.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
How do you decide if the pass was catch-able as opposed to thrown so fast, the receiver didn't have time to react. #4 fired some ropes that broke the receivers' fingers and were uncatch-able even though they hit the receivers in the hands.

That is my question...

It is to subjective...You think a tipped ball was all WR fault, I say it was the q.b fault..

The only way to stop that is to say ANY and I mean ANY tipped ball, from d-l, wr, rb, te, safety, cb any one goes into that stat

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just saying... it not always the QB for throwing the ball. It's a two way street. The receiver has to be able to catch it, especially if it's a perfectly thrown ball.

I agree, per my afformentioned comment about Bill Schroeder and the Rams playoff game. 4 of the INT's were his fault for either coughing it up or running the wrong route on the play Aneas Williams ran in for a TD. I don't think Bill ever took the blame for any of those picks, but the dude was a jerk both on and off the field.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, per my afformentioned comment about Bill Schroeder and the Rams playoff game. 4 of the INT's were his fault for either coughing it up or running the wrong route on the play Aneas Williams ran in for a TD. I don't think Bill ever took the blame for any of those picks, but the dude was a jerk both on and off the field.

Wrong route? Are you very sure? All I know is one pass Brett tossed right to the defender with no one in sight

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Luckily as we all have agreed, ESPN has cleared all this up with their nearly perfect QBR rating system. (J/K)

Seriously, I think the flaw in the idea of a new stat is thinking stats can tell the whole story and as long as NFL football is played by human beings that's just not going to be possible. Certainly stats tell a good part of the story but I don't believe stats will ever be perfected to the point where they tell the whole story.

With regard to QBs being statistically "punished" when receivers play "tip drill", given enough attempts it should even out regarding all QBs. Also, what about crappy throws that receivers make great plays on? Would you want another stat for that? No, using stats to make a case makes all kinds of sense, but very very rarely will stats make the entire case. For that we have to use our eyes, minds, and experience in evaluating whatever is in question.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its not about the number of INTs brett threw, its about when he threw them.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I tend to believe that the tipped pass interceptions will, over the year(s), even out with the dropped interceptions the defense doesn't get. Between that and the near miraculous receptions on pathetic throws it all comes out in the wash.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just had that discussion with my friend while we watched the last game. At the time I was all about adding a new stat that would show the difference when it was the WR's fault and when it was the QB's fault. But the more I thought about it. I like the stat as it is. My reasons are because who would it be up to decide it was the WR's fault. So a new argument will begin as of who was at fault. My other reason is then you would have to start a stat where the qb doesn't get credited for the YAC's when a Receiver does more to help get the yards count up for the QB. Such as Nelson did for Rodgers in the same game. That long reception was mostly Nelson making a play and running it the rest of the way. So my conclusion is.... Keep it the way it is.

Members online

Latest posts