Should the Packers target Jamie Collins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers lack quality depth at inside linebacker. While Summers struggled it seems the coaching staff considered him a better option than McDuffie.
could be just because he's a rookie. Would like to give him a chance on a couple of series.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Obviously it is fun as fans to "kick the tires" on every veteran Free Agent that could possibly improve the Packers. I just can't remember the last one that we actually signed during a season, Andre Rison?

Collins in his prime would have been a great addition to the defense, his versatility to play inside or outside would have been appealing. That said, he will be 32 in 3 weeks, got his big payday from the Lions in 2020 and I have to wonder how much he has mentally and physically left in his tank. I can't imagine the Lions were asking too much for him in a trade and that his contract might have been the biggest stumbling block in any trade talks. Seems like some of these vets that get a big contract, one that sets them up for life, tend to fall off a cliff in what they do on the field, might be the case for Collins.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We looked very good with Barnes and DeVondre in there
Correct, but looked not good when one wasn't in there. If someone on the team (besides Burks or Summers) is the answer then no need for Collins. IF there's no answer then Gute needs to find a vet LB to plug-in for when Barnes or Campbell aren't capable of continuing.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Obviously it is fun as fans to "kick the tires" on every veteran Free Agent that could possibly improve the Packers. I just can't remember the last one that we actually signed during a season, Andre Rison?

Collins in his prime would have been a great addition to the defense, his versatility to play inside or outside would have been appealing. That said, he will be 32 in 3 weeks, got his big payday from the Lions in 2020 and I have to wonder how much he has mentally and physically left in his tank. I can't imagine the Lions were asking too much for him in a trade and that his contract might have been the biggest stumbling block in any trade talks. Seems like some of these vets that get a big contract, one that sets them up for life, tend to fall off a cliff in what they do on the field, might be the case for Collins.
I think it happens more than you think. For example, in 2009 the Packers brought Tauscher back after the season had started.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Howard Green, and he made a big play in that Super Bowl

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers lack quality depth at inside linebacker. While Summers struggled it seems the coaching staff considered him a better option than McDuffie.

So was Barnes out? I figured with Campbell taking majority of reps and Barnes available...there really should be no need for summers to play from scrimmage

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So was Barnes out? I figured with Campbell taking majority of reps and Barnes available...there really should be no need for summers to play from scrimmage
he got a concussion during the game and still is not practicing

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...which is the point. Barnes is good and I'm not sure if Collins is any better at this point. However, I think that he would be an upgrade over Summers. Therefore if we can get him for the veteran minimum, I would be all for it. He would be a better backup and if he plays better than Barnes....fantastic, put him in as the starter.

Reaction score
Correct, but looked not good when one wasn't in there. If someone on the team (besides Burks or Summers) is the answer then no need for Collins. IF there's no answer then Gute needs to find a vet LB to plug-in for when Barnes or Campbell aren't capable of continuing.
Collins is athletic and veteran enough to play anywhere in that LB role. I don’t know enough about Barry’s D to make a determination if he’s overlapping though. His overall cost would be a definitive factor. I like the idea of bringing in a known commodity. I’d prefer it was at DL, but LB would be my second choice. We have to put into action a plan to improve as the year progresses, sometimes it involves outside help

D

Deleted member 6794

could be just because he's a rookie. Would like to give him a chance on a couple of series.

Burks is ahead of McDuffie on the depth chart as well and actually played more snaps on defense against the Niners than Summers received.

D

Deleted member 6794

Does not change what I said

That wasn't my intention, just wanted to point out that McDuffie needs to move past Burks and Summers on the depth chart to receive snaps.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A bit surprised to see the Cowboys release Smith. It sounds like he was odd man out in a deep LB depth chart and they didn't want to risk his 2022 salary being fully guaranteed if he was injured this season.

Still young, Pro Bowl in 2019, maybe a change of scenery will light a fire under a pretty talented player. His knee injury at Notre Dame knocked him out if being a top 10 pick in the Draft and I know a few of us hoped the Packers would grab him late in the first round. Fortunately, they didn't listen to us and grabbed Kenny Clark instead.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The cowboys may not have wanted him, but i'd like to see him on the field every day rather than Summers.

It is far more about the abilities and draft stock of Parsons and their other LBs + the massive contract they're on the ropes with Jaylon. He has legit NFL caliber abilities. He is going to have plenty of suitors, and we should be one of them.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The Patriots just cut Stephon Gilmore. I highly doubt he will be in the market for the Packers as I could see it turning into a mad bidding war, but it's interesting nevertheless.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd be looking carefully for red flags on both Smith and Gilmore. But hey, I'm always suspicious of the suddenly unemployed. :)

P.S. also, I place a much higher value on team chemistry than most here.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'd be looking carefully for red flags on both Smith and Gilmore. But hey, I'm always suspicious of the suddenly unemployed. :)

P.S. also, I place a much higher value on team chemistry than most here.
I feel the same. It is one thing to "kick the tires" on a cheap veteran, but to pay a high price, whether $$, draft picks or both, a team can put themselves deeper into debt by signing one of these guys. Imagine though....if you will.....if both Smith and Gilmore signed "at a team friendly discount", how much the Packer defense could potentially improve. I don't think its out of the question that either of those guys signs with a team at a reduced rate, after all, I believe both are still guaranteed their original money from the teams that cut them.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If my math is correct Gilmore is still owed around $5.75Mil between salary & per game bonus. His release isn't official until 3PM CDT so more than likely some team will give up a draft pick to get Gilmore's services. As he's a UDFA after the season I would think he'd want an extension as part of the trade, also... so IMHO don't think Gute will be much of a player in this situation unless Alexander is done for the year (hope that's not the case).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts