SHOULD have won-COULD have won

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I'm just so tired of seeing people talk about this or that team should have won or could have won. Let's be honest, if they should have won they would have. If they could have won they weren't good enough to get it done so no, they couldn't have won.
Philly's kicker missed two field goals that he might have made on another day. But he didn't make it. So the game proceeded in kind. If he made one both teams would have played differently depending on score.
So the Saints "almost won" even though they didn't and it was far fetched, I'd like to know what the two point conversion rate is in the NFL and then it would have only been overtime. The Panthers "could have won" even though they didn't, again, who's to say about overtime, should we just concede and give it to the Panthers? The Bears "played us close" and Broncos "almost made it close" and Falcons "had all the makings of a victory early" and Rams "shut down our offense in the second half" and the Vikings played a shocker with "a rookie QB who threw all over Packers defense".
Nobody in the NFL is tracking coulda/shoulda so let's just go by records.

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
I'm just so tired of seeing people talk about this or that team should have won or could have won. Let's be honest, if they should have won they would have. If they could have won they weren't good enough to get it done so no, they couldn't have won.
Philly's kicker missed two field goals that he might have made on another day. But he didn't make it. So the game proceeded in kind. If he made one both teams would have played differently depending on score.
So the Saints "almost won" even though they didn't and it was far fetched, I'd like to know what the two point conversion rate is in the NFL and then it would have only been overtime. The Panthers "could have won" even though they didn't, again, who's to say about overtime, should we just concede and give it to the Panthers? The Bears "played us close" and Broncos "almost made it close" and Falcons "had all the makings of a victory early" and Rams "shut down our offense in the second half" and the Vikings played a shocker with "a rookie QB who threw all over Packers defense".
Nobody in the NFL is tracking coulda/shoulda so let's just go by records.

I am sooooo sick of this kind of stuff! if a team wins it means they played a better game why can't people just leave it at that? I know if the Packers lose I will be upset but I'm not gonna make excuses obviously the team that beats the Packers played a better game and deserves the victory.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Chargers should have won last night. They didn't. Rivers dropped the ball in this one. (literally)

Stuff happens in football. People make excuses, the beat goes on. I love how many times I have heard excuses not only for why the Packers beat the Eagles in the playoff game but why the Packers got into the playoffs to begin with and how lucky they were or something of that nature.

*sigh*

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My buddy loves to say the Packers were merely lucky to be there. And he's sort of right. A miracle return by DeSean Jackson over the Giants and an unlikely road victory of Tampa Bay by Detroit were about the only two lucky breaks the Packers caught all year last year.

But there's a saying: "Luck is what happens when hard work and preparation meet opportunity." While those were two breaks the Packers caught, they still had to go out and get it done on the field. Had they lost even one game in the final three, they would have been sitting home, watching the playoffs from the couch. They beat the Giants head to head and ultimately beat the Bears. Twice.

So you can say the Packers were lucky all you want, but the fact remains they still had to get it done.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I'm tired of hearing it too, the Saints fans today probably have no idea who this man is, but they should give it a listen.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

"The good teams don't say "Could've, Would've, Should've" They get it done."

Let me tell you why the Saints didn't beat us.

New Orleans - CANNOT STOP RODGERS FOR ANYTHING. They drop 8 guys in the backfield and still can't stop him. Also CANNOT STOP THE RUNNING GAME FOR ANYTHING, check all their stats of the year on stopping teams run all over them.

Put it this way, when you go for it on 4th down in the redzone, and don't get it, but allow a team to drive 90 something yards in a short amount of time to score again, you deserve to lose.

OP
OP
DevilDon

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
My buddy loves to say the Packers were merely lucky to be there. And he's sort of right. A miracle return by DeSean Jackson over the Giants and an unlikely road victory of Tampa Bay by Detroit were about the only two lucky breaks the Packers caught all year last year.

But there's a saying: "Luck is what happens when hard work and preparation meet opportunity." While those were two breaks the Packers caught, they still had to go out and get it done on the field. Had they lost even one game in the final three, they would have been sitting home, watching the playoffs from the couch. They beat the Giants head to head and ultimately beat the Bears. Twice.

So you can say the Packers were lucky all you want, but the fact remains they still had to get it done.
Yes, but if you're going to put a measure on lucky breaks wouldn't it also be fair to weigh that against unlucky ones? I mean, can't we get some unlucky points for injuries or freak plays to measure against our luck? If Aaron Rodgers doesn't get injured in Detroit or any single person on the coverage team can catch a 340 lb man on a return we win against New England and the other stuff doesn't matter.
I guess that's my point, lucky or unlucky if your team doesn't capitalize on those opportunities it doesn't matter. How any person can write off a championship run all on the road as the 6th seed and say they got hot or lucky kind of surprises me. It would appear to me to be sound, effective football. I think luck can get you one win but to suggest the Packers run was lucky is just silly.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Funny, a couple of years ago Packer fans were bragging about how the Packers losses were all close and what it meant. Now that the shoe is on the other foot it means nothing.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Couldha, should have. Freeman doesn't drop pass maybe we win another Super Bowl. Jerry Rice fumble is called we probably go to another one. We stop Philly on 3-28 another chance. Then I could be a Minnysota fan and live a life of excuses for not having won even one Super Bowl.

Oh well, I'm too torn up over the Kardashian divorce to let this stuff mess with me.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny, a couple of years ago Packer fans were bragging about how the Packers losses were all close and what it meant. Now that the shoe is on the other foot it means nothing.

That's because Vikings fans jumped at every single opportunity to try and say the Packers made a huge mistake in trading Favre. And then they rubbed our noses in it when they signed that ********* and he led them to one of the more successful seasons in team history.

That the Packers came back and not only kicked the Vikings in the **** twice, but also did something the Vikings have never been able to do and win the Super Bowl shows that everything we said back then was absolutely correct.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
That's because Vikings fans jumped at every single opportunity to try and say the Packers made a huge mistake in trading Favre. And then they rubbed our noses in it when they signed that ********* and he led them to one of the more successful seasons in team history.

That the Packers came back and not only kicked the Vikings in the **** twice, but also did something the Vikings have never been able to do and win the Super Bowl shows that everything we said back then was absolutely correct.
Actually I know of very few Viking fans who jumped at every single opportunity to say the Packers made huge mistake. Most of those were Packer/Favre fans. I belong to 4 Packer forums and I can tell you for a fact the most of the dissention came from Packer fans. Most Viking fans just sat on the sideline and watched the Packer fans bicker amongst themselves. Even today a lot of Packer fans can't get over it. At least once a month there is a thread comparing Rodgers/Favre. Some fans even have it in their screen names. Kinda of a oxymoran if you ask me. (ForgetFavre, sorry, nothing personel)

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what I am tired of is people thinking that luck plays no part in the game. Luck certainly does play a factor in football. I am not one to make excuses, on that same note I do not think it is an excuse to say a team "should have won". Sometimes something just happens that affects the outcome of the game besides the play on the field. Sometimes its a missed call by a ref, a mistake a player almost never makes, etc... These aren't excuses they are just unfortunate that they occur when they do.

Also to the people that say that a ref has never blown a game this is 100% false. I personally hate the excuse that it shouldn't come down to the referees. They can blow calls that greatly affect the outcome of a game. In professional sports when teams play that are closely, or evenly matched, then one call here and there might turn a loser into a winner.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
what I am tired of is people thinking that luck plays no part in the game. Luck certainly does play a factor in football. I am not one to make excuses, on that same note I do not think it is an excuse to say a team "should have won". Sometimes something just happens that affects the outcome of the game besides the play on the field. Sometimes its a missed call by a ref, a mistake a player almost never makes, etc... These aren't excuses they are just unfortunate that they occur when they do.

Also to the people that say that a ref has never blown a game this is 100% false. I personally hate the excuse that it shouldn't come down to the referees. They can blow calls that greatly affect the outcome of a game. In professional sports when teams play that are closely, or evenly matched, then one call here and there might turn a loser into a winner.

Without the refs, Steelers lose to Seahawks in the Super Bowl, and i think we ALL know that's a fact.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of the shoulda/ coulda comes from people playing "what if?" Either that or they are making excused for the team. Bottom line is it doesn't matter what you could of or should of done if you lost. The only way it helps is if you can use it to improve yourself and not make the same mistake twice.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of the shoulda/ coulda comes from people playing "what if?" Either that or they are making excused for the team. Bottom line is it doesn't matter what you could of or should of done if you lost. The only way it helps is if you can use it to improve yourself and not make the same mistake twice.

this is correct but not in the scenario we are discussing. We are talking about outside interference (the refs) that blow the games.

Skarecrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every team has those moments, the Jerry Rice fumble, the Favre stupid interception in the championship game, a Kicker missing the only field goal they missed all year, the Favre stupid interception in the championship game, the Refs handing the game to the stealers, and I could go on and on and on.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry about that. I must of misread the first post, I'll go back and read it again and try and make it make sense.

it seemed like your post was in direct response to the recent posts in this thread, I assumed that since you didn't quote the first post. You know what they say about people that assume...my mistake buddy.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Every team has those moments, the Jerry Rice fumble, the Favre stupid interception in the championship game, a Kicker missing the only field goal they missed all year, the Favre stupid interception in the championship game, the Refs handing the game to the stealers, and I could go on and on and on.

Yep, bad luck happens and strange stuff can happen.

***end of 2005 Colts divisional loss to Steelers**

"You know the only chance the Colts have here is a fumble."
"lol but you know the Bus never fumbles"
"FUMBLE omg omg ."

*Ben shoe string tackle*

"Did you know Vanderjagt has yet to miss all year in the dome?"
"Well the law of averages says he misses this one."

*And he misses it.*

Honestly, ever since the Bettis fumble I never think a game is over, even when a team is just running the clock in what looks like a win. Ya just never do know.....

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
The perfect case of Could've, Would've, Should've, Playoff Edition!

1987 Cleveland Browns WOULD'VE made their first Super Bowl apperance, when they SHOULD'VE beat the Broncos after a miraculous comeback, and COULD'VE done it had Earnest Byner not fumbled at the 2 yard line.

1990 Buffalo Bills WOULDVE, won the Super Bowl over the Giants, as they SHOULD'VE, and COULD'VE had Norwood not missed the fieldgoal.

1995 Steelers oh wait, I'm not even going to mention that one, because I know they still would have lost, oh wait that's right...their own quarterback blew that Super Bowl for them.

1998 Vikings, COULD'VE stopped Atlanta from coming back in the NFC Title match, SHOULD'VE won the game, and WOULD'VE made it to the Super Bowl had their defense stopped the Falcons, had Anderson made a field goal in the 4th quarter, and had they did something in OT.

2005 Seahawks, COULD'VE, WOULD'VE AND SHOULD'VE beat the Steelers in the Super Bowl had it not been the refs rigging the game. Seattle was STOLEN a Super Bowl that year!

2007 Packers SHOULD'VE beat the Giants in OT without Favre's interception, as they WOULD'VE, and COULD'VE made it to the Super Bowl

2009. Vikings COULD'VE possibly beaten the Saints in the NFC Championship without turning the ball over 6 times, SHOULD'VE came close to field goal range before Favre threw a famous interception that would be his last career post season pass of his career, and WOULD'VE made it to the Super Bowl had they put a stop to the Saints in OT.

Skarecrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair though, during the game, I tend to notice the ref's "mistakes" more often when it comes to the Packers. The logical part of me knows it goes both ways, the Homer part of me wants the refs head hanging from the castle gate!

OP
OP
DevilDon

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score

Agreed. No question luck plays a part. What I'd like to point out that it goes both ways. So the Packers were lucky that Philly missed two field goals but they were unlucky with injuries and other parts of games. I'm just trying to point out that people talk about the lucky aspects but sometimes ignore the unlucky.
Again, if someone wants to say the Packers Super Bowl run last year was lucky it's only fair to point out the unlucky things that happened to them during the same year.
I think everyone agrees with you on a ref blowing a game okc. I think when people argue that they mean that their perception of bad calls is that it evens out in a season. I guess I can see that side of the argument but we all know that the calls can and do favor certain teams.

OP
OP
DevilDon

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
The perfect case of Could've, Would've, Should've, Playoff Edition!

1987 Cleveland Browns WOULD'VE made their first Super Bowl apperance, when they SHOULD'VE beat the Broncos after a miraculous comeback, and COULD'VE done it had Earnest Byner not fumbled at the 2 yard line.

1990 Buffalo Bills WOULDVE, won the Super Bowl over the Giants, as they SHOULD'VE, and COULD'VE had Norwood not missed the fieldgoal.

1995 Steelers oh wait, I'm not even going to mention that one, because I know they still would have lost, oh wait that's right...their own quarterback blew that Super Bowl for them.

1998 Vikings, COULD'VE stopped Atlanta from coming back in the NFC Title match, SHOULD'VE won the game, and WOULD'VE made it to the Super Bowl had their defense stopped the Falcons, had Anderson made a field goal in the 4th quarter, and had they did something in OT.

2005 Seahawks, COULD'VE, WOULD'VE AND SHOULD'VE beat the Steelers in the Super Bowl had it not been the refs rigging the game. Seattle was STOLEN a Super Bowl that year!

2007 Packers SHOULD'VE beat the Giants in OT without Favre's interception, as they WOULD'VE, and COULD'VE made it to the Super Bowl

2009. Vikings COULD'VE possibly beaten the Saints in the NFC Championship without turning the ball over 6 times, SHOULD'VE came close to field goal range before Favre threw a famous interception that would be his last career post season pass of his career, and WOULD'VE made it to the Super Bowl had they put a stop to the Saints in OT.
But Ernest Byner DID fumble. Norwood DID miss the field goal and all those things did happen. Fumbles may be somewhat rare and field goals aren't nearly 100%, Brett has thrown alot of interceptions and all the other actions you mentioned DO happen. They are part of the game.
I'll except the 2005 SB of course because no fan alive can deny that was just outright thievery.
So take away those events and then, yes, they woulda, shoulda, coulda. But that is what the premise of my post was Bogie.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
To be fair though, during the game, I tend to notice the ref's "mistakes" more often when it comes to the Packers. The logical part of me knows it goes both ways, the Homer part of me wants the refs head hanging from the castle gate!
That's the Packer homer in you. Don't worry, it's in every fan of every team. I see holding on almost every play, if I were a ref the game would be 6 hours long and have 50 flags. They would kick me off the field before halftime. :)

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
But Ernest Byner DID fumble. Norwood DID miss the field goal and all those things did happen. Fumbles may be somewhat rare and field goals aren't nearly 100%, Brett has thrown alot of interceptions and all the other actions you mentioned DO happen. They are part of the game.
I'll except the 2005 SB of course because no fan alive can deny that was just outright thievery.
So take away those events and then, yes, they woulda, shoulda, coulda. But that is what the premise of my post was Bogie.

***** I know it, but it's still hilarious. I sure wish Byner DID'NT fumble, as I still believe the Browns would have beat Washington in the Super Bowl but they didn't. I WISH Favre wouldn't have thrown that interception against the Giants, but oh well it happened.

**** happens you just have to move on...

I'm not trying to say you're wrong or anything, I'm just poking fun at it lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts