Short Arms? BS!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Daily Mailbag: The insanity of short arms - NFC North Blog - ESPN

GREAT point by Kevin Seifert (Yes, a viking fan) over at ESPN.COM.

Thank you, thank you, Mallory of St. Paul, for providing me the opportunity to address the most ridiculous thing I heard or read during the NFL draft. Take it away, Mallory:
I've heard a lot of various experts and analysts project that Green Bay's Bryan Bulaga will struggle to adapt to left tackle in the NFL due to short arms. But, checking combine numbers, his arms (33 1/4") were longer than NFL left tackles Joe Thomas (32 1/2") and Jake Long (32 7/8").

Both of these guys are able to play left tackle effectively in the NFL regardless of their arm length, so why are people making such a big deal about this? Is there really a huge correlation between "arm length" and being effective as a left tackle in the NFL? Is Bulaga being unfairly criticized because he attended the same school and played the same position as notorious NFL bust Robert Gallery (32 1/4" arms)?​
[+] Enlarge
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Chuck Rydlewski/Icon SMIThe Packers drafted Bryan Bulaga with the 23rd pick in the first round.

Yes, Mallory. This is draft analysis gone mad. Bonkers. Completely berserk. And this time, I'm not being sarcastic. Anyone who is worried about Bryan Bulaga because his arms are 2 3/4 inches shorter than the NFL ideal will have their Black and Blue blog membership cards rescinded. Go away. We don't want you anymore.

(OK, maybe that last sentiment is a slight exaggeration.)

I have no idea if Bulaga will flop or one day enter the Pro Football Hall of Fame. But I guarantee that if he flops, it won't be because his arms are too short. What do you people think? That Julius Peppers is just going to put his hand on Bulaga's head, sit there and laugh while Bulaga flails away? Come on.

I better take in some oxygen here. ....

There. That's better.

There's no doubt that in a vacuum, long arms beat the alternative when it comes to offensive tackles. If they could all have Inspector Gadget's tools, they would. The further you can reach, the better. Wingspan no doubt helps when you're protecting an open edge. But ask any offensive line coach about the ideal skills of a left tackle, and most of them will tell you that footwork is more important.

You block with your feet as much as with your hands. Getting yourself into proper position between the pass-rusher and the quarterback is most critical. If you're lunging at a pass-rusher, it doesn't matter whether you have 70-inch hoses attached to your shoulder. You're going to get beat.

On that topic, here's what Scouts Inc. had to say about Bulaga:
Gets set quickly, locks out arms and can ride explosive edge rushers past the pocket. Shows excellent body control and footwork when forced to redirect.​
Credit Bulaga for having a sense of humor on the issue. He recently told the Des Moines Register: "I never really got myself in a position where I thought, 'Gosh, I wish my arms were longer.'"

I'm sure you could find some NFL scouts who question Bulaga's long-term viability. There is rarely consensus on any NFL draft prospect. But arm length? FAIL. Go back and find me something that matters.

I'm not as dry as him, I do think arm lenght has influence, but at 33, it's not an issue.

To me, it's an issue when the guy has 31-32 inch arms, and doesn't have the athleticism, the footwork to get by.

OF course, as Seifert points out, it's more a matter about footwork.

My feeling is that, if the guy's got 36, 37 inch arms, he can get by with a sloppier technique. And if the guy's got 31-32 inch arms, he needs to be perfect every single snap.

But, like Seifert said, I got no proof of that, fact is a lot of 32 inch arms are the best in the league, and a lot of 36 inch arms are out of the league.

In the end of the day, if the guy's got good technique/footwork/mentality, he's gonna make it. If he doesn't, he's not.

Bulaga, apparently, has got it all.

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Read this earlier. It's a very good article. His arm length really isn't much of an issue, I just think the talking heads overanalyze things way too much. As it says, Bulaga has longer arms than Thomas and Long. Reminds me of how Todd McShay kept blasting Jimmy Clausen for his injury concerns and saying no team wants to take a chance on him. Ummm hello, and Sam Bradford doesn't have injury concerns? Bulaga will be fine, the arm length stuff sure is BS.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I pointed out the joe thomas comparison last week to someone on here who was down on him for arm length. People make such a big deal about nothing. I understand they must fill the negative box on draft magazines to cover their butt when a high graded prospect busts but some stuff makes no sense.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bulaga will be just fine in the NFL. The reason why he was getting bashed so much heading into the draft was not because of his arm length but because of all the Gallery comparisons. However from many have said, Gallery was nowhere near the type of player that Bulaga is. Gallery didn't have as much potential going into the draft either. Bulaga is a smart, sound "technician" who gets by with his skills. Gallery meanwhile had somewhat similar characteristics but people were talking more about his athleticism.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
Mel Kiper Jr, rarely brings up things related to football players actual abilities and skills. He mostly talks about "Arm Length", 40 times, # of ints or sacks, or how mel kiper thinks they are a gonna be the next hall of fame whatever..(what about the players grades in college or what his coach says about him, how does he look on actual GAME FILM, not Work out or play practice LOL)And for some reason even though he is wrong every year on 99% of what he says people still listen to what he has to say and take it as FACT. It's almost ludicrous that this guy is even still around. ESPN needs to make the draft 1 day long again, starts at noon ends and midnight, 10 rounds. No more of this BS that it is becoming. You see a lot of teams like the broncos falling for it, drafting tebow in round 1, that was all for publicity obviously. He wont be playing this year, probably not next year either, and without the media forcing these college players down GM's throats you'd see a lot more of these UDFA's actually being drafted like they should be. Everysingle one of our picks except quarless i think, was rated way lower where we picked them, than where Mel Kiper Jr, said they were definatley going to go.

onto the bulaga arm BS thing, I'd be willing to bet there are atleast a couple of 35 inch arm guys that just got drafted that wont see 1 NFL snap of a real game. As well as I'm sure there are some guys with shorter arm's than Bulaga that will pan out to be solid O-line guys. as well as vice versa, mesurments are really the most overrated thing about Player evaluation. How did tony mandarich go?

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mel Kiper Jr, rarely brings up things related to football players actual abilities and skills. He mostly talks about "Arm Length", 40 times, # of ints or sacks, or how mel kiper thinks they are a gonna be the next hall of fame whatever..(what about the players grades in college or what his coach says about him, how does he look on actual GAME FILM, not Work out or play practice LOL)And for some reason even though he is wrong every year on 99% of what he says people still listen to what he has to say and take it as FACT. It's almost ludicrous that this guy is even still around. ESPN needs to make the draft 1 day long again, starts at noon ends and midnight, 10 rounds. No more of this BS that it is becoming. You see a lot of teams like the broncos falling for it, drafting tebow in round 1, that was all for publicity obviously. He wont be playing this year, probably not next year either, and without the media forcing these college players down GM's throats you'd see a lot more of these UDFA's actually being drafted like they should be. Everysingle one of our picks except quarless i think, was rated way lower where we picked them, than where Mel Kiper Jr, said they were definatley going to go.

onto the bulaga arm BS thing, I'd be willing to bet there are atleast a couple of 35 inch arm guys that just got drafted that wont see 1 NFL snap of a real game. As well as I'm sure there are some guys with shorter arm's than Bulaga that will pan out to be solid O-line guys. as well as vice versa, mesurments are really the most overrated thing about Player evaluation. How did tony mandarich go?

Well said.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bulaga = as high as #5 pick
Burnett = early/late 2nd rounder
Quarless = 4th rounder because of character concerns
Newhouse = 3rd rounder
Starks = 5th rounder
C.J. Wilson = 4th/5th rounder, saw him go 3rd round in some mocks...

So, actually, only Neal was considered a reach. The rest were all considered steals.

"Analysts" downgrade our draft because we didn't fill so-called needs at OLB and CB.

And Mandarich was a whole nother discussion. He only displayed his physical skills because of STEROIDS, which he couldn't use in the pros.

It's not that they poorly evaluated him, it's that he cheated...

But as I said earlier, I agree with your main point...

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
I don't really see how arm length could correlate to being good at anything other than holding or facemasking for an OL.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really see how arm length could correlate to being good at anything other than holding or facemasking for an OL.
In theory, if you have longer arms than you opponent, you have better chances of reaching him before he reaches you, gaining leverage in the play.

But speed off the ball, bend, feet and hands technique, as well as experience to know pass rushing moves and to prepare for them, and strenght, of course, are much more vital ingredients to the trenches battle than a slight advantage of reaching the opponent faster...

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
In theory, if you have longer arms than you opponent, you have better chances of reaching him before he reaches you, gaining leverage in the play.

But speed off the ball, bend, feet and hands technique, as well as experience to know pass rushing moves and to prepare for them, and strenght, of course, are much more vital ingredients to the trenches battle than a slight advantage of reaching the opponent faster...
I see, that seems like it would really only be an issue when you have to VERY good linemen matched against each other.

I remember hearing about this issue with Bulaga and thinking that analysts really will find any little fault that exists in someone.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That kid from Maryland is physically better than any LT drafted in the past decade and its very likely he wont do anything in the NFL
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOkd9xBwvoI]YouTube - Iowa's Bulaga vs Maryland's Campbell - Vertical Jump[/ame]

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
crocs have short arms and are still pretty dangerous. Much ado about nothing.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good one. Short arms like Moss' (the turtle) when he goes over the middle are much worse