Sherman was a good coach but not a good GM

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would give Mike Sherman an A+ for his commitment to the Packers and his understanding of the great tradition of this franchise. Mike had no training as a head coach at any level, and considering that, he did a nice job especailly in his early years. He had no personel training and that was obvious by his poor choices. I've said this time and again, this franchise was in dire straights at the end of Sherman's reign because of his poor drafting. He did hit on a few, but you don't remain GM by hitting on a few and missing on most.

As coach, beyond his second year, I thought he became pretty awful. I thought his teams were consistently under inspired. Yeah he went after Warren Sapp, the problem is you never saw any emotion like that again. He didn't do a very good job of surrounding himself with quality coaches, again that goes back to understanding personel. I thought his knowledge of the game was adequate, however I never felt that he was the guy to keep this team competitive. I know of his record, and I understand that the Sherman fans will sit on that as their point of emphasis. I just felt that his ability to motivate and to hold his players accountable were the cause for his demise.

As a man, I admired him immensely. I think his love for the Packers was sincere. I think he seriously wanted the best for this team. I just didn't think he had enough to be successful. It's been documented about his loyalties to his coaches and his players, but that too was part of the reason he lost his job.

All in all, I'm glad he's gone and I'm glad at this point, that McCarthy is here. Let's see how we feel in five years.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice list AADP! Add to this the fact that some of those players were selected by using additional picks to trade up to get. And then he throws away a perfectly good football player like Hillenmeyer....who did nothing but be instinctive and make massive amounts of tackles each year collegiately. And who is now starting with the Bears....argueably the best defense in the NFC.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vince Lombardi was awesome!!!!!

What? I thought this thread was about history! I think we pretty much know where everybody F***ing stands on Sherman. It is always the "haters" that bring him up just to start **** but when the minority "lovers" defend him they are the bad guys.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no doubts that Mike Sherman was a Packer all the way and understood the burden of keeping the winning tradition in Green Bay.

IMO MS' downfall in the end was a lack of trust. Lack of trust leads to a certain measure of paranoia.

He never could get comfortable with the draft as the tool from which you build a team. Not grasping on to this concept lead him thru a series of decisions over the years that landed him out of the job.

MS was so concerned with what shortcomings he saw that he would either draft for need or compromise what it is and what the draft does by trades to address those shortcomings. We all know that it is enough of a crap shoot when you have the whole board of remaining players to choose from let alone isolating a specific position and going after a need.

As the years went by and not having an influx of talent from previous drafts he had to look at other means of addressing needs. Many of the moves made were not in regard to what it meant to the future of the team.

His lack of trust in utilizing the draft to build a team became painfully obvious by '04 and he lost the job.

His lack of trust in his staff and not using their imput or trusting management put him out of town.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is really getting tiresome, let's move on!
The Green Bay Packers and their fans have a bright future ahead of them.

I like to dip into the past from time to time but how many times does this dead horse have to be beaten?

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You remember the past to learn for the future. Just likes it's important to remember what Wolf and Holmgren did to turn this franchise around, it's important to remember what Ray Rhoads and Mike Sherman did to return us to mediocrity. TT had quite a mess to clean up before he could even start working on returning this team to it's place of prominence. I'm not convinced that he's the guy either, but I'm going to give him a chance, just as I did with Sherman.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I wonder if when Infante got fired if people would have been talking about him six months after the act of him being fired.

OP
OP
P

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think instead of "bashing" Sherman you need to praise Ron Wolf. The fact that he's been out of the game for 8 or so seasons and most of the solid positions GB has on their roster were players he drafted. That shows just how good the Packers had it, in the mid 90's any why I think Wolf should be considered for the HOF. He made argueably the 2 biggest moves of the 90's in Favre and White.

Members online