Seems to be official LAVAR wont be a Packer..

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Wahle was due around $11 million, Sharper $8 million..

Wahle signed the biggest contract for a guard every...so tell me with only $3 million in cap room ( at start of FA) and with at least a couple of months of offseason and draftees to be signed, not to mention other players needed to be re-signed where or where was this money suppose to come from?

Back load a contract? Who says they didnt offer that to him and he declined?

If I am not mistaken Andrew Brandt is the one that makes sure a contract is doable, and maybe he tried to make it work and it was not possible?

This has been argued many times on many threads. Yes, TT could have worked out a contract with Wahle. Review his cap hit for Carolina last season for proof. He was willing to negotiate a cap friendly contract. Wahle stated that he wanted to stay in GB, but that TT never made an effort to sign him. He also stated that when Sherman was GM, he said he was going to work it out to sign him to new contract.

If it couldn't be done, then how could TT waste the money on Klemm, O'Dwyer and Franks. Heck, GB finished last season with $1.9 million in cap space that was never used! Take Klemm's contract and that $1.9 million and there was enough for Wahle's cap hit to Carolina.

If you want to argue further about money, there's also the fact that Sherman pushed TT to cut Hunt before his bonus kicked in. TT waited and GB took a cap hit for Hunt's bonus and full salary last season since he was cut while injured.

Teams have a lot of options when working the salary cap. Arguing that there wasn't enough money last offseason is a very weak, but then again so was TT's work as a GM last year. How can you replace Walker with Taco Wallace and expect the offense to still be strong??

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Wahle aslo stated a big factor was if Brett was coming back and at the time Brett still had not made his intentions known..

http://packers.blogspot.com/2005_03_01_ ... chive.html

Jsonline.com also reported that OG Mike Wahle didn't receive as big a signing bonus ($8 million instead of $11.5). Not that the Packers had a realistic chance at fitting under the salary cap in either situation.

http://packers.mostvaluablenetwork.com/2005/07/

In July---At this instant, the Packers are pretty tight against the salary cap, with about $6M available, about $4M of which will go to signing the new draft picks.

Wahle got the HIGEST contract ever for a center or guard...So does he pass that up, or stay with a team that could not pay him that much?

I think people forget that John Jones, and Andrew Brandt, probably have a lot to do with on how to make a contract work..

Found this..

http://www.packersnews.com/topics/train ... 2068.shtml

By completing the other 10 rookie contracts, Packers chief negotiator Andrew Brandt was free to focus on Rodgers. “They’re working on it,â€

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The whole point however was he wasted money on garbage, period! I don't care how little he had, he did nothing with it.

I may have a crack habit and only have 10.00 to my name but if I spend it on more crack, I am still an idiot.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen these numbers before and can't understand why there is debate on how the heck we were supposed to be able to hold onto either of these guys. Somebody's leaving a 0 out of their math somewhere.

You can blame TT for this all you want but our "0" line was the forefront of this team and it's demise was at least two years in the making by not planning properly on how to keep it together.

Waiting for FA and having a couple measly million bucks around to fix it seems a little much for any GM to pull off.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyle, who were they supposed to get with no money? Go back to last year at that time and see who was available that was worth a damn that we could have signed.
The real point is that any NFL team that goes into FA with two million and something is sucking wind.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So it's ok to spend money on O'Dwyer,Little,Freeman,Thompson and to spend 3 quarters of a million dollars on David Martin?

They were terrible moves, we got nothing out of them.

Hell, save the money, buy the fans hot dogs, do something besides blow it on 4-5 guys. 1 or 2 guys that do not pan out is acceptable but 4-5 starts to look like a bad evaluating process.

I am far from a TT basher and I like his moves this year but anyone that DEFENDS his moves last year has got to be hitting the pipe a little hard

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I fully understand your point..Why sign those guys they DID NOTHING AT ALL..

The money was not there AT THAT TIME...After Wahle was gone and a few others were let go,or re-signed cheaper, that is when they brought in those others..

I would have LOVED to have Wahle back, but I do not see how it was possible..AT THE TIME...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
This has been argued many times on many threads. Yes, TT could have worked out a contract with Wahle. Review his cap hit for Carolina last season for proof. He was willing to negotiate a cap friendly contract. Wahle stated that he wanted to stay in GB, but that TT never made an effort to sign him. He also stated that when Sherman was GM, he said he was going to work it out to sign him to new contract.

If it couldn't be done, then how could TT waste the money on Klemm, O'Dwyer and Franks. Heck, GB finished last season with $1.9 million in cap space that was never used! Take Klemm's contract and that $1.9 million and there was enough for Wahle's cap hit to Carolina.

If you want to argue further about money, there's also the fact that Sherman pushed TT to cut Hunt before his bonus kicked in. TT waited and GB took a cap hit for Hunt's bonus and full salary last season since he was cut while injured.

Teams have a lot of options when working the salary cap. Arguing that there wasn't enough money last offseason is a very weak, but then again so was TT's work as a GM last year. How can you replace Walker with Taco Wallace and expect the offense to still be strong??

Taco?? They brought in 2 WR earlier then Taco, both declined to come here..One was the Viking that was in Seattle , Pack offered more money but since the Viks gave him a 2nd chance he decided to stay...And the other guy ( was not named at the time) said they wanted him toi play special teams and he didnt want to..

So while yes Taco was signed, please try to state all the facts that lead up to him being signed.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In hindsight yeah it was maybe feasible for the Packers to resign Wahle but you have to know first, how much Wahle wanted to stay, and second, how much cap room did they think they needed at the time for draft picks. They may of thought they would cut it too close. Just because you can see afterwards that they might of squeaked something out doesn't mean it was obvious or even necessarily the best decision at the time.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
SuperRat said:
In hindsight yeah it was maybe feasible for the Packers to resign Wahle but you have to know first, how much Wahle wanted to stay, and second, how much cap room did they think they needed at the time for draft picks. They may of thought they would cut it too close. Just because you can see afterwards that they might of squeaked something out doesn't mean it was obvious or even necessarily the best decision at the time.

Well said.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
SuperRat said:

Well said.

I am not trying to play monday morning QB but I also am not going to give TT a "get out of jail free card"

I guess it doesn't concern some people that he brought in 4-5 free agents and NONE provided anything to this team whatsoever. Little actually played but was a disaster. The worst part is I liked that pick up along with the Thompson one.

It just makes me nervous that all were disasters. A few I can understand but every single one starts to look like a poor evaluation process

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not happy those guys didnt pan out...

However I also know what he had to work with ( cap wise) only can do so much..

Members online

Latest posts