Secondary not getting enough love

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was just thinking last night how great the secondary has been lately.. and we havn't even had Casey Heyward play a single snap. Sometimes i forget Tramon Williams still plays for us but Shields is headed to Hawaii if he keeps it up, House is finally starting to come into his own, and Hyde is always around the football. So Who's the odd man out once Heyward returns?

I would have to say Tramon Williams imo. He hasn't made a single play this year to get excited about and his contract doesn't match his lack of productivity. It would only make sense to keep Tramon after this year if they make Hyde gain about 6 lbs of muscle and move him to FS which i don't see happening.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spot on. House is showing growth. Hyde is very capable. Having Burnett back has had a positive influence so far. Tramon is a ghost of his former self. It is unfortunate but true. I think they may work Hayward back slowly. This is a breath of fresh air, IMHO. A lot of finger pointing about cutting Wood loose. He was far past his prime, as is Tramon. The service that Woodson and Tramon have provided though is more than noteworthy. The youth movement will continue in the defensive backfield.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tramon is more than likely not going to get a renewed contract with us, just won't be justify by TT and the gang and should be backed by 100% of the Packer faithful. We have young talent that is proving better and like you said this is without Heyward...as Vic said watchout once he's back and healthy....

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not too mention Tramon will garnish interest from other teams willing to pay more than they should=no brainer for the Packers.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not too mention Tramon will garnish interest from other teams willing to pay more than they should=no brainer for the Packers.

Don't get me wrong i think Williams can still have an impact...he just hasn't made many plays thus far. I noticed he was playing more slot then normal but the task of shutting down the other teams best wr has been handed to "Sam I Am" and Hayward mans the nickle. That leaves the other cb spot on the right and the dime. House has more pass breakups than anyone on the team and a pick, and Hyde is a good blitzer and tackler who isn't afraid to stick his nose in there. Wheres that leave Tramon? Special teams? or either see if we can package him in a deal that will get us a tight end. Philadelphia is like second to last in the NFL in pass yards allowed per game and with a young secondary may be willing to give up Bret Celek for Tramon and maybe a 4th.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong i think Williams can still have an impact...he just hasn't made many plays thus far. I noticed he was playing more slot then normal but the task of shutting down the other teams best wr has been handed to "Sam I Am" and Hayward mans the nickle. That leaves the other cb spot on the right and the dime. House has more pass breakups than anyone on the team and a pick, and Hyde is a good blitzer and tackler who isn't afraid to stick his nose in there. Wheres that leave Tramon? Special teams? or either see if we can package him in a deal that will get us a tight end. Philadelphia is like second to last in the NFL in pass yards allowed per game and with a young secondary may be willing to give up Bret Celek for Tramon and maybe a 4th.

While I would garnish this worthy of consideration I would be hesitant...only due to the simple fact what if Heyward is never the same when he comes back and just one of the other 3 (shields, house, tramon) go down. I left Hyde out of the mix because being young I would think his play could be a roller coaster of really good and not so good (although I do feel he's not going to be bad ever). If one goes down then what?

I think this idea has to be given consideration for sure! It would all surround how competent and ready everyone on staff feels Hyde is to go forth rolling with (House, Shields, Heyward and Hyde). You know what...there is always Bush still present and he's above serviceable with experience for those "next man up" scenarios so long as it's not on either of the opponents top 2 wideouts.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I would garnish this worthy of consideration I would be hesitant...only due to the simple fact what if Heyward is never the same when he comes back and just one of the other 3 (shields, house, tramon) go down. I left Hyde out of the mix because being young I would think his play could be a roller coaster of really good and not so good (although I do feel he's not going to be bad ever). If one goes down then what?

I think this idea has to be given consideration for sure! It would all surround how competent and ready everyone on staff feels Hyde is to go forth rolling with (House, Shields, Heyward and Hyde). You know what...there is always Bush still present and he's above serviceable with experience for those "next man up" scenarios so long as it's not on either of the opponents top 2 wideouts.

exactly...that's why i say we can afford to ship Tramon off...Bush isn't as good but i'm looking at it from a standpoint of depth which we have in our secondary.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
exactly...that's why i say we can afford to ship Tramon off...Bush isn't as good but i'm looking at it from a standpoint of depth which we have in our secondary.

So given the belief/faith in Hyde, mixed with when they feel Heyward would be back....if this isn't getting atleast a glancing look it is sad.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So given the belief/faith in Hyde, mixed with when they feel Heyward would be back....if this isn't getting atleast a glancing look it is sad.

Heres what i think, i honestly see Hyde getting some snaps as a Safety. He's not as big as a "normal" sized safety but he's shown he is a capable tackler. CW played safety at 202 lbs so it can be done. I would love to see him back there on passing downs for sure.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heres what i think, i honestly see Hyde getting some snaps as a Safety. He's not as big as a "normal" sized safety but he's shown he is a capable tackler. CW played safety at 202 lbs so it can be done. I would love to see him back there on passing downs for sure.

I foresee Hyde's use at safety as a real possibility...I also love the apparent desire and "gumption" in Banjo...raw but interesting to see where and what he'll be doing in say 2 years. I could see starter as much as I could see free agent selling insurance on the side.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh and don't forget...everyone liked what they saw in Sean Richardson too...sadly on PUP though currently.

Reaction score
Remember when the coaches spoke about how Shields had the potential to become a top corner in the NFL? That time is just around the corner. We had Al Harris and Woodson, Woodson and Williams, and now say hello to Shields and Hayward.. and Hyde... and House?

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember when the coaches spoke about how Shields had the potential to become a top corner in the NFL? That time is just around the corner. We had Al Harris and Woodson, Woodson and Williams, and now say hello to Shields and Hayward.. and Hyde... and House?

That's alot of H's haha. Anyways yea Shields barring injury should be our best corner for years to come. He's usually the fastest guy on the field and his ball skills are a major asset as well..and who says former college wr's can't transition into NFL corners? ha. I'm anxious to see the matchups with guy's like Calvin Johnson, Dez Bryant, and Brandon Marshall. If shields gets the task on slowing these guy's down and does well? He now moves from solid starter to elite status.

12theTruth

I was just thinking last night how great the secondary has been lately.. and we havn't even had Casey Heyward play a single snap. Sometimes i forget Tramon Williams still plays for us but Shields is headed to Hawaii if he keeps it up, House is finally starting to come into his own, and Hyde is always around the football. So Who's the odd man out once Heyward returns?

I would have to say Tramon Williams imo. He hasn't made a single play this year to get excited about and his contract doesn't match his lack of productivity. It would only make sense to keep Tramon after this year if they make Hyde gain about 6 lbs of muscle and move him to FS which i don't see happening.

The secondary has been doing a very good job thus far. They perform even better when Bush and or McMillian aren't on the field defensively. All that it takes is one weak link to jeopardize the overall unit's performance.

I think it all starts up front though. When a defense can make an opponent basically one-dimensional by stopping the run as the Packers have the jobs of Shields, House, etc., are that much easier.

The whole attitude of the defense has been transformed this season. Thank you Johnny Jolly!

Reaction score
That's alot of H's haha. Anyways yea Shields barring injury should be our best corner for years to come. He's usually the fastest guy on the field and his ball skills are a major asset as well..and who says former college wr's can't transition into NFL corners? ha. I'm anxious to see the matchups with guy's like Calvin Johnson, Dez Bryant, and Brandon Marshall. If shields gets the task on slowing these guy's down and does well? He now moves from solid starter to elite status.
Which is why I jumped on his bandwagon in the preseason before his first game! There is just something about him! Plus, who can't root for an undrafted free agent?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Shields is playing out his tender this year. Next year he should be an UFA. Big $$$$$$$$$ headed his way. That is why Tramon stays on the roster but hopefully a bit cheaper.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to give props to the entire defense lately - they have been playing very, very well overall. Granted, we haven't been playing the Broncos or anything, but I like what I'm seeing and that's even without Clay Matthews.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields is playing out his tender this year. Next year he should be an UFA. Big $$$$$$$$$ headed his way. That is why Tramon stays on the roster but hopefully a bit cheaper.

You think he's back after this year? Tramon Williams i mean. The depth is good enough not to miss him if he left, i think he jolts for more money after this year. Someone mentioned Minnesota but i'll say Detroit.

jjmcjj

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You think he's back after this year? Tramon Williams i mean. The depth is good enough not to miss him if he left, i think he jolts for more money after this year. Someone mentioned Minnesota but i'll say Detroit.

Tramon has really really dropped off the past coupla years. Seems to be just average now. Seems like he really has no passion for the game anymore. That being said, someone always overpays for an average player, and that usually means Minnesota. Can't really recall to many ex Pack on Detroit... Paris Lenon a few years ago? I just hope when he goes to the Queens, he has the sense to keep his mouth shut. :devilish:

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more, Rodell. The secondary as a whole has been a bright spot. They are young and yet growing but show a lot of promise. I actually made notice of them at the end of last season and it's great to see they're continuing to improve.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree the Packers D backfield has been under-appreciated – particularly since Burnett’s return - but IMO the Packers only have three CBs capable of playing outside: Shields, Williams, and House. Hayward and Hyde can play the slot but I don’t think either is a long term replacement outside. That’s why each has been talked about moving to safety. Nixon is fast enough to play outside but very raw and Bush is only an emergency DB. So when Williams leaves right now IMO it would have to be House taking his place outside.

According to McGinn’s ratings earlier in the season, Williams took Hyde’s spot in the slot because of missed tackles by Hyde but Williams certainly has missed his share of tackles too. Against the Browns Williams blitzed from the slot 10 times and got a sack. The great news is Hyde is available for the dime replacing McMillian. When Hayward returns he’d have to be nickel/slot guy so it’ll be interesting to see if House can take some snaps from Williams or even take over for him.

Capers will probably keep Jennings on the field but IMO the best nickel D backfield would be Shields, Burnett, Hayward, Williams or House, and Hyde. The way he’s playing lately I prefer House over Williams but that’s a deep group.

12theTruth

Am I the only one around here that likes Tramon Williams ??

I don't mind Tramon Williams. I think he has lost a step in the last year or so causing him to have little to no margin for error. Losing a step can cause a player to press and I think he's pressing. I also think he's feeling the pressure of Davon House knocking on the door for his spot on the depth chart.

It doesn't seem that a move to a different position such as safety would help as Tramon isn't the greatest tackler in the world and doesn't really have the body type either.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts