Secondary not getting enough love

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I don't mind Tramon Williams. I think he has lost a step in the last year or so causing him to have little to no margin for error. Losing a step can cause a player to press and I think he's pressing. I also think he's feeling the pressure of Davon House knocking on the door for his spot on the depth chart.

It doesn't seem that a move to a different position such as safety would help as Tramon isn't the greatest tackler in the world and doesn't really have the body type either.

Damn....That was a good post!!!!

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Thank you for your informed opinion ;). I guess I`ve still got a soft spot for him after the Superbowl win. I mustn`t get too attached to players. :(

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sombody mentioned Hyde missing tackles and being replaced in the slot because of it by Williams? wow, have they not seen Tramon tackle? No offense to Tramon but i'd much rather see Hyde attempt to tackle AD vs Tramon Williams anyday. His whiff'd tackles (or lack thereof) vs Minnesota still hunt me to this day. The secondary is our deepest group and should get better as the season progresses but i still would like to see Hyde take over at Safety over MD Jennings at some point.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Moving forward I do worry what Shields will garnish money wise...I just wish Jolly was younger and Raji didn't get so much dang cash...I still got faith TT and the gang will not let Shields vanish from our roster easily.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Moving forward I do worry what Shields will garnish money wise...I just wish Jolly was younger and Raji didn't get so much dang cash...I still got faith TT and the gang will not let Shields vanish from our roster easily.

Shields isn't going anywhere, If anything this may be the last year we see James Jones in a Packer uniform..especially if Boykins shows he can be a viable replacement or better. Raji may get the Tender next year. Money is probably already set aside to try and keep Shields..if TT is smart he will extend his contract before the season is over. If shields balls out the rest of the season he becomes more expensive. Re-sign him now.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
As Packers fans we’ve been somewhat “shell-shocked” regarding injuries so I was surprised to see this in the notes section of jsonline yesterday:
On Sunday, Richardson said, team physician Patrick McKenzie told him he had been cleared. "They sent the images out to five different doctors, and they all gave their opinions and they all gave me the green light," Richardson said.
The Packers haven’t activated him off of PUP yet but I didn’t expect this positive news. I’m not saying he’ll provide immediate help - obviously he needs more experience - but he’s got good measurables for a safety, listed at 6-2, 217 and was starting to excel on STs which could get him active on game days. To find room on the roster I’d release McMillian. If no one picks him up invite him to camp next year.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...by-doctors-to-play-b99126804z1-229035571.html

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it depends on the market for Shields. If he's looking to become one of the highest paid corners in the game, TT will usually avoid that kind of situation.

If he will come back for something similar to what Tramon got, I'd definitely be willing to pay him and part ways with Tramon as suggested.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sam Shields has allowed 9 receptions and been targeted 20 times. He's shut down Josh Gordon, Torrey Smith, and Aj Green. He's got Dez Bryant, Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, and Deshawn Jackson all remaining. Like i said earlier..if he holds these guy's in check like the first three i mentioned..PAY THE MAN. Period.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate to be the only downer here but...

24th ranked passing defense...

If you mean they are not getting enough credit for no longer being the worst pass defense in the league, than yes, but for now all they have managed to do is go from horrendous to awful. Also let's not forget that over the last 3 weeks they have played one team missing the greatest receiver currently in the game, and 2 pass offenses that were average and bad. So they have looked good lately. Unfortunately with our competition as late, frankly we should be middle of the pack in pass defense as far as I am concerned not bottom of the pack.

The problem that I see is we play too soft (and I don't mean that we are weak or anything like that) I mean we play too much soft zone coverage and even average QB's are able to find wide open receivers. If Brandon Weeden was not such a horrible passer, he would have had 300+ yards against us.

All of that being said, I do absolutely agree that we are seeing improvement across the board and agree with most everyone's assessment about our DB's at this point, I just think we should not be too quick to start handing praise to a group that at this point is still much, much worse than average.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If you mean they are not getting enough credit for no longer being the worst pass defense in the league, than yes, but for now all they have managed to do is go from horrendous to awful. Also let's not forget that over the last 3 weeks they have played one team missing the greatest receiver currently in the game, and 2 pass offenses that were average and bad. So they have looked good lately. Unfortunately with our competition as late, frankly we should be middle of the pack in pass defense as far as I am concerned not bottom of the pack.

The problem that I see is we play too soft (and I don't mean that we are weak or anything like that) I mean we play too much soft zone coverage and even average QB's are able to find wide open receivers. If Brandon Weeden was not such a horrible passer, he would have had 300+ yards against us.

All of that being said, I do absolutely agree that we are seeing improvement across the board and agree with most everyone's assessment about our DB's at this point, I just think we should not be too quick to start handing praise to a group that at this point is still much, much worse than average.

:poop: Thanks bro -_- Anyways once we see Hayward back in the mix and House and Hyde continuing to improve i think we should be alot better.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:poop: Thanks bro -_- Anyways once we see Hayward back in the mix and House and Hyde continuing to improve i think we should be alot better.

Lol, ya I feel like a bit of doucher being "that guy". I definitely like what I have seen out of Hyde all year and House does seem to be coming into his own as of late. Shields just gets better and better. As you said with Hayward coming back as well, we should see continual improvement. By the time it is all said and done, I do believe we will be in the middle of the pack as far as pass defense goes. If we do that, we should easily be a top 10 defense when the season is over.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Part of that comes with the territory of having the #1 ranked rushing D, though. Teams don't try to run it on us much.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll take our young looking up secondary despite their ranking....I mean I'd like more of an edge out of them too but Jolly can't play secondary :)

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So last night showed exactly what I was talking about in this thread. The Packers pass defense if horrendous, and it has been since after the one miracle Super Bowl year when Tramon Williams (who is complete garbage) did his Deion Sanders immitation.

H

HardRightEdge

We don't generate much of a 4 man pass rush; 3 man...forget about it. We blitz a fair amount to compensate. That leaves the back side undermanned.

We may be 12th. in the league in sacks with 24, but 11 of those are by ILBs and DBs.

The 24th. ranking in passer-rating-against (at a very high 95.3) is heavily affected by the lack of picks. Here are the rankings for the 4 key components that go into the passer rating:

14 TDs surrendered: 17th. in the league
3 picks: tied for dead last in the league
60.0% completion rate against: 12th. in the league
7.5 yards per attempt against: 19th. in the league

Passer rating uses TDs as a % of attempts and INT's as a % of attempts. Since we're right in the middle at 15th. in attempts against, the % rankings should be very close to the raw numbers.

The most troubling stat is one that popped up in yesterday's broadcast...we're dead last in the league in surrendering TDs in the red zone at 75%. That's a stunningly bad number.

AZpackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was gonna say.......my how things change.......we should not be patting this secondary on the back. They are pretty bad right now. They got scorched last night by a backup and made him look like Joe Montana. I realize that we didn't generate much of a pass rush and that the D was on the field too long because of poor QB play, but still they looked pretty inept out there and there are no stats to back up the claims that this secondary is good at all. They have the potential, but against these tall receivers, they look like mice amongst men out there. We better have a pass rush against Philly, or Foles may throw 8 TDs against us.......come on man!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts