Running the score up?

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I've heard a lot of people complain about teams running scores up just for the hell of it, and here's my take on it.

The Patriots are a prime suspect of this, but the Saints did it last year. EVERYONE does it. Some games watching N.O. back at home last year, I thought they could have ran up 50 points. We definetly could had thrown up over 50 points against Dallas and the Giants both. Even Cowboys fans complained that Minnesota tried to run the score up on them in their last playoff game, so here is the way I see it.

If your defense can't stop them, you can't complain.

This is really a no brainer.
Even going back to Super Bowl blow outs, the Broncos didn't even TRY to stop San Francisco from scoring 50 points back in '89. Could the Chargers stop Steve Young in '94?

If you go back to games in the 60's and 70's, and even some in the 80's you'll see where teams were "running it up" but no one was stopping them from racking up stats. I think there is nothing to complain about.

ThorMatthews

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think its due to the sensitivity of people viewing the game now a days. People complain about excessive TD celebrations and things of that sort and so it's not surprise that people cry foul when a team is blowing up another team. It's a lot like that whole idea where it's suppose to be equal opportunity for everyone and the idea of competing to be the best is fighting for something isnt an issue because everyone gets a chance, or at least should.

If I was a Republican I'd say "Blame the damn Liberals."

or something like that right?

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I was a Republican I'd say "Blame the damn Liberals."

or something like that right?

No, you're supposed to blame it on political correctness. :D

As for running up the score, I agree that it's mostly based on your opponent's lack of defense and capitalizing on the mistakes their offense makes. Case in point, the Saints game in 2008. The score was 51-29, and I didn't think they were running up the score. We had one of the worst defenses in the league, and we faced one of the most potent offenses in the league (Brees almost reached 5,000 yards that year), so we deserved to lose that one in a comical fashion. The blowouts against the Cowboys and the Giants in 2010 are pretty much the same thing, except it's the opponents with the bad defenses and the Packers with the hot offense.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate when people whine about running up the score. Just sour grapes by teams who get blown out.

Hell, we got blown out by the Saints a couple years ago. The onus is on our defense to stop them. We didn't, and their offense lit us up. That's the way it goes sometimes.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Nobody in the pros runs up the score. Teams rarely score in the 40's and 50's.

College, that's different. I had a lot of fun watching it, but Wisconsin putting up 84 on Indiana was probably running up the score. :icon_lol:

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hornung said that in the second half of the '61 NFL title game, Lombardi "called the dogs off" so that the Packers would not embarrass the NY Giants.

" We could have scored 100 points, people would still be talking about that game."

Few remember that Lombardi came from the Giants to the Packers in '59, and he remained great friends
with the Mara's, owners of the Giants.

Final score? 37-0 Dec.31, 1961

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score

College, that's different. I had a lot of fun watching it, but Wisconsin putting up 84 on Indiana was probably running up the score. :icon_lol:

The Indiana coach didn't complain, even though I thought the same thing.

There used to be something called "sportsmanship" that was taught in high schools. Part of that was you didn't needlessly embarrass an opponent. Like all morals, it is now considered archaic. Just another sign of the apocalypse.

Skarecrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no problem running up the score... as long as it isn't against my team :Cheeky:

But seriously, I am of two minds. In the pros no one should be ABLE to run up the score, but it does happen and it does seem like a **** move. I hated it everytime it has happened to our Packers, but I still want them to keep their foot on the gas when they get a big lead. To get my head around it, I have invented rules that matter just as much, if not more, as the jersey I wear on game day that will help them win.

Score as much as you can till end of 3rd quarter. If ahead by more then 4 touchdowns, put in the back ups and keep going as hard as you can. If the Back ups can keep scoring on you, you deserve the embarrassment.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
to secure the win. I say until 4th Quarter with 10 min left and you have a lead of 3 TDs or more, then rest your starters. If not it's not a crime opposing defense isn't trying.

GaryGnu

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Run the score as high as you can, because you never know..... (and maybe your defense isn't that great either)

But I take exception to celebrating as you run up the score. If you're up 48-0 and doing end zone dances or whatever, you're a ****. The score should speak for itself. Celebrations become unsportsmanlike.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
i think once u go over 50 and the other team is down by 3 tds or more then its prob time to stop scoring
but in madden i have no problem running it up on people online who like to play cheap and unrealistic.

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
I have no problem at all with "running up the score", and I would frankly enjoy watching the Packers do it.

I've seen a game or two where the Patriots put their backups in, and they still walked all over the opposing defense. I honestly didn't know what they could have done to keep from scoring...and really, why should they?

Count me in the "if you can't stop them, it's your problem" school of thought.

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
Run the score as high as you can, because you never know..... (and maybe your defense isn't that great either)

But I take exception to celebrating as you run up the score. If you're up 48-0 and doing end zone dances or whatever, you're a ****. The score should speak for itself. Celebrations become unsportsmanlike.

That's a good caveat. I agree with that - if you're in a position to embarrass another team, don't be a d-bag about it.

Nick 52

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the UK we don't have this problem about running up the score.
In fact I would consider it patronising if the winning team stopped playing hard. It is a sign of respect to your opponent that you try your best at all times , and if that leads to lots of points , so be it.

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I didn't expect this topic to grow so much, glad I brought this up now, more proof this forum is one of the best out there.

No one really complained years ago, but since the Vikings in '98 and the Patriots in recent years I've heard it a lot. "They ran the score up."

Most the time running a score up occurs from turnovers, and the other team ******** up. I believe 3/4's of a team scoring 50 points in a game is off of turnovers.

Bringing up this topic, I had to hear for a week how the Eagles "ran the score up" on Washington but where was the defense in that game? You know, that Monday night game that has everyone still talking about Vick. Washington had the WORST pass defense in the league if I remember correctly. Them giving up 59 points was not really a shock if you look how bad their stats are

Ausnadian

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People crying fowl over running up the score is stupid, at least it is entertaining, would you rather they just kneel and punt to each team for the second half? Just so they don't hurt the feelings of grown men? These are professional sports teams, not one of them should cry over getting smashed by another team, ever.

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you remember the time the Packers had to run up the score? January 2, 2000 - one of the strangest days of football I've ever seen. The Packers were 7-8, along with the Panthers, Cowboys and Giants. To make the playoffs, the Packers needed the Giants to beat the Cowboys, and then to finish with a better points differential in conference games in order to make the playoffs.

The Packers were up by 18 or so on the Panthers and a ton on the Giants, so it looked good entering the day as long as they won and the Cowboys lost. However, after the first quarter, Carolina was up 24-0 on the Saints and they were pouring it on. Things got crazy after that. Favre threw a 50-yard bomb with only a few minutes left and the team up 42-24. Carolina likewise was running up the score. The Packers won 49-24 and managed to hold the Panthers off in the tiebreaker.

The Cowboys later won 26-18 over New York, eliminating the Packers anyway, but it was really fun to keep track of. NFL Primetime that night, recapping the whole thing minute-by-minute, was classic.

The NFL changed the tiebreaker formula in 2002 so that you have to first go through strength-of-victory and strength-of-schedule before you get to point differential, thus making it so that point differential is no longer as important. But it is technically a possibility.

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score

In my opinion, the lopsided scores from the Wisconsin games, and most college football games in general, are probably because of the BCS standings. Due to this, you need to look good at all times. That means crushing any crappy team you come across by putting up basketball-like scores. A good example of this happening in professional football is the one from Crazy Packers Fan of course, because of the points differential rule in tiebreakers back then.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
In my opinion, the lopsided scores from the Wisconsin games, and most college football games in general, are probably because of the BCS standings. Due to this, you need to look good at all times. That means crushing any crappy team you come across by putting up basketball-like scores. A good example of this happening in professional football is the one from Crazy Packers Fan of course, because of the points differential rule in tiebreakers back then.

I absolutely agree. Wisconsin definitely ran up the score, but I have no problem with it because they're in a system that rewards it.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
In the world of professional football, there is no such thing as running up a score...and I think that applies to the NFL Minor League too (that's NCAA football).

Sportsmanship went out the window along with the advent of the end zone celebration and lucrative revenue sharing funding huge free agent signings.

Members online

Latest posts