Round 4 Pick Pick 134 - Jamal Williams

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers had 304 non QB rushing attempts last year. Plenty of carries to split up between backs.

Monty had 77 carries last year and you are projecting him to 200?

Rip had 34

Michael probably doesn't make the team now.

Montgomery had 102 including playoffs... i'm guessing they give him 200 which is 12-13 a game
Ripkowski towards the end seemed like he would be worked in more... 50-60 (two a game isn't out of the question)
so there's 50 more carries left...?

I mean you can UDFA a guy to do that lol

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
exactly so there's no actual need for a bunch of backs... Rip did a great job taking over the role Kuhn had over the years

Were you watching the Packers RB issues last year after both Lacy and Starks went down? Rip and 1 back is not enough.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Yes, that plan worked out so well for the Packers last year. :rolleyes:

you aren't even taking into account what happens if Monty gets hurt or isn't effective.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Were you watching the Packers RB issues last year after both Lacy and Starks went down? Rip and 1 back is not enough.

From the Texans game and onward, Ty looked like "the guy"... and that was just ONE week after the Philly game.

All I'm saying is you don't take a guy THAT HIGH when you have all those other defensive players there... you can UDFA a running back to start, take him in the 6th or 7th or sign a free agent

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, that plan worked out so well for the Packers last year. :rolleyes:

you aren't even taking into account what happens if Monty gets hurt or isn't effective.

I think he'll be pretty damn effective... Monty is good because he can ALSO catch, he's a receiving threat. He isn't Lacy or Ryan Grant back there where defenses know he isn't a receiving threat lol.

So I'm pretty sure he'll be fairly effective

yes, I never considered injury, but that is something that happens to all teams, you just have to hope for the best

Have you considered if Aaron Rodgers get injured? Then we're really ******

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
From the Texans game and onward, Ty looked like "the guy"... and that was just ONE week after the Philly game.

All I'm saying is you don't take a guy THAT HIGH when you have all those other defensive players there... you can UDFA a running back to start, take him in the 6th or 7th or sign a free agent

Well at least now you are down to realizing it is ok to take a RB in the 6th, but you would still prefer to take another CB in the 5th? Just don't get the logic. But we are now just going in circles.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think he'll be pretty damn effective... Monty is good because he can ALSO catch, he's a receiving threat. He isn't Lacy or Ryan Grant back there where defenses know he isn't a receiving threat lol.

So I'm pretty sure he'll be fairly effective

yes, I never considered injury, but that is something that happens to all teams, you just have to hope for the best

Have you considered if Aaron Rodgers get injured? Then we're really ******

Again, does Brent Hundley play during a game? Will Ty Montgomery play an entire game? Using the argument of what happens if AR gets hurt to justify not having a capable backup at RB is just off the charts stretching it. Prior to today, the Packers had no capable backup running backs, now they may have 2.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well at least now you are down to realizing it is ok to take a RB in the 6th, but you would still prefer to take another CB in the 5th? Just don't get the logic. But we are now just going in circles.

I think Kevin King will be very very good

But TT is notorious for blowing defensive picks, you might as well take as many as you can in case someone doesn't pan out

Watkins in case Adams doesn't
King if Jones doesn't

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think Kevin King will be very very good

But TT is notorious for blowing defensive picks, you might as well take as many as you can in case someone doesn't pan out

Watkins in case Adams doesn't
King if Jones doesn't

A heck of a premise to build a top to bottom good football team on.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
i don't think you're getting my point.
I think everyone here GETS YOUR POINT. Whatever Ted does is wrong. He gets defense, you complain it wasn't offense. He finally starts picking offense and you scream the DB room isn't full enough. Damn glad you aren't in charge of this draft.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I actually like the Williams pick. He seems like the type of player you has the potential to be looked back at as a steal. He actually reminds me a little bit of Le'Veon Bell.

Vinnie Biegel on the other hand I'm not sold on. It's cute that we got a kid from Wisconsin, but he seems like another Jake Ryan. Solid, serviceable, but not someone who is going to be a game changer. That's the type of guy we could have looked for in the later rounds if need be.

Packer Nation is gonna love Williams.

Biegel is more athletic then one might think. I already like him better then Frakrell.

Last edited:

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A heck of a premise to build a top to bottom good football team on.

so you concur?

Hey I hope they all workout obvioously

I'm 99% sure Kevin King will be a STUD... I hope Josh Jones and Adams are good too, but you never really know... let's just hope so lol

I mean i'm just a realist

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You realize that Williams will be splitting back up carries with Michaels/Rip/Don Jackson? not to mention we have a passing offense

You realize that those of us who wanted a RB wouldn't really care if he, or any other RB, replaces Michael or Jackson as opposed to splitting carries with them.

i don't think you're getting my point. I agree we should have drafted a running back, but at that spot? with other guys available??? Hell no!!!!

Barring injury, as mentioned before, he will get 50-60 carries tops this year lol

We get your point we just don't agree. You wanted us to draft another DB to fill an already crowded position. We wanted to draft a RB which you think is a crowded position.

You can argue all you want whether the player chosen was the pick to go with regardless of who it is. You think Williams was a bad pick and that he (or at least a player of his caliber) could have been had later. Maybe, Maybe not. You would have loved King or Watkins at that spot and that's fine but maybe a player of their caliber can be had later as well. Obviously you don't think so but that's why they are called opinions.

Oh i'm definitely confident bro, i KNOW i'm a smart guy and know football

So that means between the two of us we know everything there is to know about football. You know everything except that you are an idiot and I know that. Sorry, I'm just joking, I'm not questioning your football knowledge and when it comes to college players I'm certain you know more than I do. I just couldn't resist using one of my favorite jokes when I read your comment. I may disagree with your opinions but I am not questioning your knowledge. I do question whether we should put any more stock into what you think as opposed to, oh let's just say any one of the thousands of people who know as much, or dare I say even more, as you do and disagree with you.

Let's project the "usage" of Jamaal Williams as a 4th, whom we could have added another quality defensive player there instead

Runningsbacks:
Ty Mont 200 carries, 50 receiving targets (most likely)
Ripkowski 50-60 carries, 10 targets
Michael 30 carries
Williams ???? (where do you use this guy?)

So you think its better to replace him with another DB who might not see the field any more than the RB will.

So why take any other position at all then. Just load up on DBs. I'm guessing if we took 5 or 6 every draft eventually one or two would pan out. OK I know that's just silly but not much more than your logic. Take guys just in case others don't pan out and ignore the other positions.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With now three running backs taken can we assume Ty might be moved back to WR... I have no idea why they would do such if that was not the case..

I think its more of an indictment of the confidence they have in Michael and Jackson to be honest with you. Looks like Ted is using Kevan's philosophy for defensive players on RBs. Throw enough of them at the wall and one is bound to stick. I would say that it puts a pretty big question mark on the hopes that Ted signs a veteran RB though.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers had 304 non QB rushing attempts last year. Plenty of carries to split up between backs.

Monty had 77 carries last year and you are projecting him to 200?

Rip had 34

Michael probably doesn't make the team now.

Well, he had those 77 despite three games of zero and three games of one carry. The last five regular games, he was just under 10 carries, so perhaps doubling, not tripling his carries for next years is reasonable.

TXPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Montgomery had 102 including playoffs... i'm guessing they give him 200 which is 12-13 a game
Ripkowski towards the end seemed like he would be worked in more... 50-60 (two a game isn't out of the question)

I'm not sure why you feel Montgomery and Ripkowski deserve the benefit of the doubt? What makes you so sure that a rookie can't beat both of them and become the feature back, relegating Montgomery to backup/3rd down back and Rip to his role as the new Kuhn?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

The lowest number of attempts last year was 350. Average was over 400. Giving a fullback 50+ in a season is not ideal. Your numbers do not add up.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kevans....thanks for making this thread slightly unbearable to read.

I might suggest you call up the front office and explain with all vast knowledge of everything they can get rid of every scout and draft room staffer because you got the goods....and am pretty much a football god.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like this kid a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if he took the majority of the carries at some point next year.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Nice little documentary on Williams.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I've been watching a fair bit of Williams over the past couple of days and I have some thoughts.

The one trait that sticks out to me more than anything else is ability to gear up in a blink when he sees the hole. He isn't going to create a lot on his own, but he's fairly patient and when he sees the crease he can get up to speed exceptionally fast. In that sense he does have a "2nd gear" though he doesn't have runaway long speed.

What everyone knows about him is that he's a violent runner who gains a lot of yards after contact. He also displays a functional jump cut to elude defenders at times. But aside from that, he isn't especially elusive. His game is about hitting the hole really hard and daring you to tackle him. I like that as a complimentary facet of a backfield.

But what I think got him drafted over other RB options is his pass protection. He isn't Ezekiel Elliott in that regard, but he's pretty darn good for a college back. And more than just being able to body guys up, he has the ability to identify the free rusher and get himself squared in time to do something about it. That skill set escapes a lot of young backs. Also, as a somewhat irrelevant side note, if he ever ends up in the position to block for a teammate trying to advance the ball, he goes after it with a lot of gusto. Obviously that isn't an important part of RB evaluation, but in general he's fun to watch because he plays with a lot of energy and hustle.

He was not a prolific receiver for BYU, but after watching quite a bit of him I think he could have been more of one. The issue was that Taysom Hill's version of the "check down" was to take off. There were many plays where most QB's would have hit the back, but Hill rather trusted his legs (side note-- Taysom Hill fumbles a lot). When Williams was targeted, he demonstrated pretty reliable hands. Speaking of reliability-- I do like that he rarely fumbles. He had two fumbles on 234 carries last season. Losing the ball once every 117 times you touch the ball is pretty fine work. For comparison, Fournette fumbled once every 43 carries last season, while Dalvin Cook fumbled once every 48.

My main concern with him is whether or not his power, his most relied upon skill set, will translate to the NFL. He's a 6'0' 212 lb back who made a living in college by being explosive in a straight line and gaining yards after contact. Are NFL defenders going to be able to get him on the ground more consistently? Is a 212 lb back going to be an effective grinder like that? I'm really unsure. It's interesting that the perception is of Williams as a big back and Jones as a small guy. Jones is 208 lbs, a mere 4 pounds lighter, despite being 3" shorter.

I would say his ceiling is as a slashing power element to lead a RB committee, and his floor is as a complimentary player who specialized in pass protection. We will see where he lands on that spectrum.

Members online

Latest posts