Round 4 Pick Pick 134 - Jamal Williams

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
i don't think you're getting my point. I agree we should have drafted a running back, but at that spot? with other guys available??? Hell no!!!!

Barring injury, as mentioned before, he will get 50-60 carries tops this year lol
I understand what you are saying, you would have prefered to improve the team by adding another DB in Desmond King. I just happen to disagree with that logic more than the actual players chosen and I am relying on the scouts as to who the best RB at the time was to fill that positional need through the draft. If I had my way, a RB would have been taken much sooner.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know everyone is optimistic about Monty being the #1 back that we all saw glimpses of at times last season, but can you honestly say that you wouldn't be a little nervous going into the season relying solely on that optimism?

no i'm not that nervous actually considering he's a pretty big guy and PROVEN that he can handle a workload (albeit a small sample size)... 102 carries(including playoffs) is a pretty good sample size for me considering he'll probbly get 200ish this year, so he's PROVEN he can handle at least half of that already

Also, Ty can catch which is IMMENSELY important in our offense b/c defenses can't just focus on stopping the run when we have a RB in the backfield, you can also shift Ty outwide and do Empty Sets which gives him more plays.

Look, we are going to pass the ball A LOT with Bennett and Kendricks added(even Geronimo's development) so I'm pretty confident in Ty

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Time will tell which player was the right pick. I just don't see the need to add another DB in the draft at this point, especially with other positions relatively thin. Do the math on adding another CB/DB to the current roster, just doesn't make much sense to me.

How many DBs are usually kept anyway. We have Burnett, Clinton-Dix, Hyde, Rollins, Randall and the 2 rookies that's 7 right there then there is Brice and Gunter and I think a couple more. Is there room for another rookie? I don't see Ted giving up on Rollins or Randall yet.

Aaron Rodgers threw the ball 610 times last year and ran it 67 times... i forget the sack numbers but that's almost 700ish designed PASSING plays we did last year.

We improved at tight end with Bennett and Kendricks so i'm certain that that number could increase

How many carries/what purpose would you have for all these running backs?

if it's a Blount/Perine type who is basically just a big "bruiser" down hill runner then that's fine as it wears out the defense... but let's not kid we won't have a 250-300 carry RB anytime soon

What do you mean All these RBs? I've just said I have no confidence in Michael and I wouldn't mind seeing him gone and I don't think Jackson is all that great and I don't know if Monty can be a 15-20 carry a game back. We need more than just 1 RB.

There is a big difference between having a RB that you can count on the be effective and having one who is just there to carry the ball on occasion when Aaron's arm needs a rest but if that's all you are looking for then yeah we are fine. Personally I would like to see a bit more out of the position. I would also like to see more balance so we wouldn't have to have 43 designed passing plays a game and for that we need a guy who can carry the ball 15+. I think a guy who could carry the ball 250-300 times and be effective would help this team a lot more than another DB. I'm not saying Williams is that guy and he probably isn't which is why I would have preferred them using a higher pick the position.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Williams will likely get 50-60 carries this year and he can't catch... so it's a stupid pick honestly if you can get Desmond King or Watkins there...

And he won't get 250 carries like Jordan Howard so that argument is ridiculous

That's barring injury to Ripkowski and Ty Mont of course

Why do you think Rip is going to get a lot of carries? He got 34 carries last year. He's a fullback. He should never get more than 2 carries each game.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All these running backs? Are we loaded at the RB position with Monty, Michael and Jackson?

The backs we had on the roster to end the season last year, really weren't a full compliment to what the Packers need in the running game, not to mention if Monty goes down, what then? Only way you don't draft a back is if you pick one up in Free Agency.

I agree with you. At the moment, the Packers have a converted wide receiver (Montgomery), a guy who's been cut by two different teams (Michael), a guy who was injured almost all of last year (Jackson), and a fullback. The running back room needs more bodies.

Last edited:

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no **** they need more RB depth

But at that spot?? Did you look at who was still on the board???

Also Williams is "compared" to Jordan Howard which is lofty but he's not exactly a ying yang comparison to Ty's game.. I think Perine would have fit that better to compliment Ty.

You can pick RB "bodies" anywhere else in the draft...6th, 7th, UDFAs... not in the 4th with all that defensive talent still available

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well the running back bodies they have were more highly coveted than 7th rounders and udfa's at one point, and everyone says we need better. So the logic now is just fill them with 6,7 and ufdas?

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
no **** they need more RB depth

But at that spot?? Did you look at who was still on the board???

Also Williams is "compared" to Jordan Howard which is lofty but he's not exactly a ying yang comparison to Ty's game.. I think Perine would have fit that better to compliment Ty.

You can pick RB "bodies" anywhere else in the draft...6th, 7th, UDFAs... not in the 4th with all that defensive talent still available

I would have been on board with Perine, but you do realize that he was taken with the 114th pick? So you are kind of contradicting yourself with what you are saying.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
<MOD NOTE: response to deleted post removed -- Poppa San>

That plan of finding JAG last year at RB didn't pan out and had it not been for Monty, the RB position would have been considered a complete disaster last year. He goes down this year and what are you left with?

Last edited by a moderator:

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pick Perine with the 1st 4th rounder and Biezel/Watkins/King with the 2nd 4th rounder... BOOM!

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know everyone is optimistic about Monty being the #1 back that we all saw glimpses of at times last season, but can you honestly say that you wouldn't be a little nervous going into the season relying solely on that optimism?

Why should anyone be nervous? He had about the highest per carry average of any RB who had at least 50 carries last year. He proved he's up to the task and with a whole offseason of work as a RB he should only be better.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has had some trouble, but nothing major. Powerful runner who has had some knee issues. A clone of Starks apparently.

Walter football:

Height: 6-0. Weight: 211. Arm: 30.5. Hand: 9.63.
40 Time: 4.59.
Projected Round (2017): 3-5.
4/25/17: Williams was a powerful rushing presence in 2016, averaging 5.9 yards per carry for 1,375 yards with 12 touchdowns as a senior. He had only seven receptions for 80 yards.

Williams is a physical back who is capable of picking up yards after contact. In a talented running back class, he could be a really good value in the mid-rounds. Williams had a decent week at the Senior Bowl.

As a junior in 2014, Williams averaged 4.8 yards per carry for 518 yards and four touchdowns on 109 carries. He averaged 5.7 yards per carry in 2013 for 1,233 yards with seven touchdowns alongside 18 receptions for 125 yards.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2017RB.php#mtri5mXAq8ZGXMqP.99

Seems like a good value pick. I wish we would go after good receiving backs.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Williams will likely get 50-60 carries this year and he can't catch... so it's a stupid pick honestly if you can get Desmond King or Watkins there...

And he won't get 250 carries like Jordan Howard so that argument is ridiculous

That's barring injury to Ripkowski and Ty Mont of course
I wonder if you realize how naively arrogant you sound when you use words like "stupid" to describe the pick. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but saying that someone else's is stupid doesn't help your credibility.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Why should anyone be nervous? He had about the highest per carry average of any RB who had at least 50 carries last year. He proved he's up to the task and with a whole offseason of work as a RB he should only be better.
Glad you aren't nervous. Not sure I would say he has proved he is up to the task, but time will tell. I was also referring to relying solely on Monty. He fails/injured and what do you have? Packers used 2 5th round picks on RB's, not sure how much confidence they had with the current group of RB's either.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Glad you aren't nervous. Not sure I would say he has proved he is up to the task, but time will tell. I was also referring to relying solely on Monty. He fails/injured and what do you have? Packers used 2 5th round picks on RB's, not sure how much confidence they had with the current group of RB's either.

eh... that could be sai dabout anyone

If Aaron Rodgers were to get hurt we're screwed... so i don't know

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if you realize how naively arrogant you sound when you use words like "stupid" to describe the pick. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but saying that someone else's is stupid doesn't help your credibility.

Oh i'm definitely confident bro, i KNOW i'm a smart guy and know football

Let's project the "usage" of Jamaal Williams as a 4th, whom we could have added another quality defensive player there instead

Runningsbacks:
Ty Mont 200 carries, 50 receiving targets (most likely)
Ripkowski 50-60 carries, 10 targets
Michael 30 carries
Williams ???? (where do you use this guy?)

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
eh... that could be sai dabout anyone

If Aaron Rodgers were to get hurt we're screwed... so i don't know

Well there is quite a drop between AR and most starting QB's, so not sure how you are making the leap from a qualified backup to Monty with one behind AR? Not to mention that AR plays the entire game, Packers typically rely on 2 backs.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well there is quite a drop between AR and most starting QB's, so not sure how you are making the leap from a qualified backup to Monty with one behind AR? Not to mention that AR plays the entire game, Packers typically rely on 2 backs.

exactly so there's no actual need for a bunch of backs... Rip did a great job taking over the role Kuhn had over the years

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if Michael makes this roster. I don't think he's intelligent enough to be relied upon more than just a guy you put out there when you have nothing left. If that's the case he should be replaced and I'm not going to be upset they're trying to

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Oh i'm definitely confident bro, i KNOW i'm a smart guy and know football

Let's project the "usage" of Jamaal Williams as a 4th, whom we could have added another quality defensive player there instead

Runningsbacks:
Ty Mont 200 carries, 50 receiving targets (most likely)
Ripkowski 50-60 carries, 10 targets
Michael 30 carries
Williams ???? (where do you use this guy?)

Packers had 304 non QB rushing attempts last year. Plenty of carries to split up between backs.

Monty had 77 carries last year and you are projecting him to 200?

Rip had 34

Michael probably doesn't make the team now.