Round 4 Pick Pick 134 - Jamal Williams

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Packers finally get a running back and an offensive player!

ESPN NFL draft expert Mel Kiper Jr. compared Jamaal Williams to Chicago Bears running back Jordan Howard, who rushed for 1,313 yards as a rookie last season.

“(He) kind of runs like Jordan Howard: real tough inside runner, downhill, breaks tackles,”

The big plus for this fan.......He and Biegel were both on my list for the 37th annual Amish Draft!! :tup:

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Biegel is ok, but i think it was sort of a reach for him.... I don't like this pick at all considiering the other players still on the board

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Biegel is ok, but i think it was sort of a reach for him.... I don't like this pick at all considiering the other players still on the board

Always hard to determine "reach", once you start getting to the middle rounds, especially if all you are talking about is one round either direction. I had both of them going to the Packers in Round 5, but what do I know.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't mind this. Scouting reports don't seem great, but I like what I see. Howard did come to mind, but that's a lofty comparison.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol not a bad pick. kid is strong and can break tackles. not as quick on turns but can shake the tree with the best of them.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
to be honest, the Howard comparison is likely b/c they have similar builds and running styles... but that could be said about A LOT of runningbacks over the years LOL

The other thing is... running back isn't a "high need" at this point (we could get one in the 5th, 6th or 7th) so why not take another defensive player that was there???

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I have been reading scouting reports since the pick and the underlying theme of this kid is the same and I like it, something we need.....

"Shows lateral agility and surprising balance for a back with his high-cut frame. Impressive power for his build, consistently generating yardage after contact. Keeps his legs churning and spins out of tackles, falling forward to rack up extra yards."

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol not a bad pick. kid is strong and can break tackles. not as quick on turns but can shake the tree with the best of them.

Idk i would have liked Desmond King or Watkins there.. .this kind of player could be had later in the draft honestly

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been reading scouting reports since the pick and the underlying theme of this kid is the same and I like it, something we need.....

"Shows lateral agility and surprising balance for a back with his high-cut frame. Impressive power for his build, consistently generating yardage after contact. Keeps his legs churning and spins out of tackles, falling forward to rack up extra yards."

Brandon jackson??

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Idk i would have liked Desmond King or Watkins there.. .this kind of player could be had later in the draft honestly

One post you said we didn't have a high need for a RB and in the next you want to draft Desmond King? How many DB's do we need?

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One post you said we didn't have a high need for a RB and in the next you want to draft Desmond King? How many DB's do we need?

a lot of it depends on how the draft falls...

I assume the Packers FO, as most fans do too, are aware of who is still "available" in the draft as it proceeds. If you see talented players left at "weak areas" (Defensive back obviously) you would assume that that would be addressed.

Is the DB field crowded already? Yes. But TT doesn't have super strong history on hitting on these all the time and House and Burnett have expiring contracts. So if a guy like Desmond King is there at that point, you take him

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Williams will likely get 50-60 carries this year and he can't catch... so it's a stupid pick honestly if you can get Desmond King or Watkins there...

And he won't get 250 carries like Jordan Howard so that argument is ridiculous

That's barring injury to Ripkowski and Ty Mont of course

ChicagoPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually like the Williams pick. He seems like the type of player you has the potential to be looked back at as a steal. He actually reminds me a little bit of Le'Veon Bell.

Vinnie Biegel on the other hand I'm not sold on. It's cute that we got a kid from Wisconsin, but he seems like another Jake Ryan. Solid, serviceable, but not someone who is going to be a game changer. That's the type of guy we could have looked for in the later rounds if need be.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Williams will likely get 50-60 carries this year and he can't catch... so it's a stupid pick honestly if you can get Desmond King or Watkins there...

And he won't get 250 carries like Jordan Howard so that argument is ridiculous

That's barring injury to Ripkowski and Ty Mont of course

Time will tell which player was the right pick. I just don't see the need to add another DB in the draft at this point, especially with other positions relatively thin. Do the math on adding another CB/DB to the current roster, just doesn't make much sense to me.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You realize that Williams will be splitting back up carries with Michaels/Rip/Don Jackson? not to mention we have a passing offense

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
then Watkins...who just went to a team that KNOWS how to build a good 3-4 defense btw (the Texans)... kind of ironic don't you think? lol

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
to be honest, the Howard comparison is likely b/c they have similar builds and running styles... but that could be said about A LOT of runningbacks over the years LOL

The other thing is... running back isn't a "high need" at this point (we could get one in the 5th, 6th or 7th) so why not take another defensive player that was there???

We can wait and sign one as an undrafted free agent as well or we can always convert another WR to RB so why draft one at all. Heck we can always just go with what we have so no need for any more on the roster.

I know nothing about Williams or the guy I was looking at (Brian Hill) so I can't say whether the player was a good pick or not but I love that we finally addressed the position. Maybe there was someone better further down the line, and we still can't rule that out but If you don't think RB is a need you are crazy. If you are satisfied with Monty, Michael and Jackson you are even crazier. I like Monty but as far as the others go we could draft another RB and cut both of them as far as I am concerned or even better get on the phone to Blount's agent right now.

Any thoughts on who would have been better, Hill or Williams? Just on the strengths and weaknesses it looks to me as if Hill might have been a little better choice but I will be very happy if Williams compares favorably to Jordan Howard who no one expected to get more than 50-60 carries carries last year either(yes you did address that point)

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can wait and sign one as an undrafted free agent as well or we can always convert another WR to RB so why draft one at all. Heck we can always just go with what we have so no need for any more on the roster.

I know nothing about Williams or the guy I was looking at (Brian Hill) so I can't say whether the player was a good pick or not but I love that we finally addressed the position. Maybe there was someone better further down the line, and we still can't rule that out but If you don't think RB is a need you are crazy. If you are satisfied with Monty, Michael and Jackson you are even crazier. I like Monty but as far as the others go we could draft another RB and cut both of them as far as I am concerned or even better get on the phone to Blount's agent right now.

Any thoughts on who would have been better, Hill or Williams? Just on the strengths and weaknesses it looks to me as if Hill might have been a little better choice but I will be very happy if Williams compares favorably to Jordan Howard who no one expected to get more than 50-60 carries carries last year either(yes you did address that point)

Aaron Rodgers threw the ball 610 times last year and ran it 67 times... i forget the sack numbers but that's almost 700ish designed PASSING plays we did last year.

We improved at tight end with Bennett and Kendricks so i'm certain that that number could increase

How many carries/what purpose would you have for all these running backs?

if it's a Blount/Perine type who is basically just a big "bruiser" down hill runner then that's fine as it wears out the defense... but let's not kid we won't have a 250-300 carry RB anytime soon

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Any thoughts on who would have been better, Hill or Williams?
Williams has bigger hands. ;)

I don't know anything more than what I have read about the 2 backs. They seem somewhat similar in that they are best as a 1st - 2nd down back, that run with some power and can pick up yards after contact. Which is what the Packers should have been looking for to compliment Monty's game. To me, Monty is more of a RB you want in there against a defense playing the pass, either run him or throw to him, but don't make him run against a stacked box.

ChicagoPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You realize that Williams will be splitting back up carries with Michaels/Rip/Don Jackson? not to mention we have a passing offense

Believe it or not, there were actually people here who wanted to go RB at 33 and I was saying go get Kevin King because our lack of a running game wasn't the problem. I have been insisting we go get LeGarette Blount but it seems TT doesn't like that idea. I think round 4 is a good spot to get a quality runner. Michaels looked terrible in the playoffs and his football iq is atrocious. I think a Monty/Williams platoon has the potential to be special.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Believe it or not, there were actually people here who wanted to go RB at 33 and I was saying go get Kevin King because our lack of a running game wasn't the problem. I have been insisting we go get LeGarette Blount but it seems TT doesn't like that idea. I think round 4 is a good spot to get a quality runner. Michaels looked terrible in the playoffs and his football iq is atrocious. I think a Monty/Williams platoon has the potential to be special.

yea but honestly a player with Williams skill set you can get later in the draft honestly

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers threw the ball 610 times last year and ran it 67 times... i forget the sack numbers but that's almost 700ish designed PASSING plays we did last year.

We improved at tight end with Bennett and Kendricks so i'm certain that that number could increase

How many carries/what purpose would you have for all these running backs?

if it's a Blount/Perine type who is basically just a big "bruiser" down hill runner then that's fine as it wears out the defense... but let's not kid we won't have a 250-300 carry RB anytime soon

All these running backs? Are we loaded at the RB position with Monty, Michael and Jackson?

The backs we had on the roster to end the season last year, really weren't a full compliment to what the Packers need in the running game, not to mention if Monty goes down, what then? Only way you don't draft a back is if you pick one up in Free Agency.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't think you're getting my point. I agree we should have drafted a running back, but at that spot? with other guys available??? Hell no!!!!

Barring injury, as mentioned before, he will get 50-60 carries tops this year lol

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I know everyone is optimistic about Monty being the #1 back that we all saw glimpses of at times last season, but can you honestly say that you wouldn't be a little nervous going into the season relying solely on that optimism?

Latest posts