Round 3, 93rd Auburn DT Montravious Adams

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Just poking around the FORUM ....... I'm getting the IMpression that I NEED to post really dramatically like THIS!!! So while I. Am. Not. Going to be weighing in on the these picks until the draft is in the books (books!), I did WANT to get in on the action here. Am I doing this right ??? Or will I NEVER be good at this?! Ever? EVER?!

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just poking around the FORUM ....... I'm getting the IMpression that I NEED to post really dramatically like THIS!!! So while I. Am. Not. Going to be weighing in on the these picks until the draft is in the books (books!), I did WANT to get in on the action here. Am I doing this right ??? Or will I NEVER be good at this?! Ever? EVER?!

In order to accomplish what? Can't help reading into this - a ego problem?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I've lost enthusiasm for a RB pick after Kareem Hunt went off the board at #86. I question whether Mack's game translates 2 or 3 steps up in competition into something other than what you get already with Christine Michael.

I like Perrine better but I'm not crazy about him. True north/south runner with good vision but not much in the way of wiggle, second level burst, top end speed or receiving experience. Then again, there have been some pretty good backs who did the job with just that...power and vision. Kinda fits the one cut and go that zone blocking calls for. Good production in the Big 12. It ain't the SEC, but it ain't blowing by Towson and Eastern Carolina guys either. This guy did 30 lifts at the Combine to Adams 22. :confused:

In a running back by committee group, which is what this will be, he adds a power dimension the other guys on the roster lack.

It would be kinda nice to have a RB who can get that tough yard on 3rd. and 1 (not Lacy's forte) or come in for a change of pace or when you're looking to do a ball control series. Lacy wasn't a short yardage guy; he was finesse to the hole; bull at the second level. Ripkowski has only shown effectiveness on the quick hitter from of the up back position.

I think it's "Josh Malone Time".

They can sign Jamaal Charles or Blount.

H

HardRightEdge

One thing i noticed with Perine, he doesn't have a lot of lateral agility. But he has an almost weird ability to sidestep and slip would be tacklers with very quick instinctive movements.
That goes to my characterization of Perine as a north-south runner with "vision". There's a fine line between "instincts" and "vision". Instincts is probably the better characterization.

Further, it would be nice to have a runner on 3rd. and 1 or goal line, with the 7 or 8 man line and Ripkowski the up back who provides a second option in the play. McCarthy nearly always runs in these down and distances out of these formations. Defenses pack the box. It would benefit in having the defense seeing 2 options, with Perine being a guy who can get a yard on his own. Again, Lacy was not that guy...finesse at the line, bull at the back end.

I can't recall the Packers having a reliable short yardage runner RB since Ahman Green.

It also helps having this player in when it's 2 yards to go. The Packers nearly always pass on 3rd. and 2. It would be nice to have a run option in those cases and give the defense something else to think about.

In other tweener run/pass situations where the defense is spread, Perine's a guy you'd expect to bite off some yards.

I guess I'm just a guy who puts more value on backs who can bite off yards and move the chains in maintaining possession than ripping off a long gainer once every 3 or 4 games that pad the average, at least so long as we're looking at mediocre to poor Packer defenses. If you're just going to outscore 'em, keeping the D off the field is a priority.

That said, I doubt Thompson would consider him. So long as he has a starting back good for 15 carries, he doesn't spend draft capital. Where I might be wrong is hearing Rodgers enthusiasm for 2-TE sets for the pass/run versatility. Perine would fit with that thinking.

I wasn't going to look at any pre-draft tape but I just couldn't help myself from dabbling on rainy days. I suspect this post and the one before on Perine is an exercise in futility.

Last edited by a moderator:

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You should also actually type out the word "period" after you make a point. Like this... "Best player in the draft. Period." That makes it so nobody else can reasonably dispute you and you automatically win everything in life that can be won.

Also, make sure to reference every prediction you've made in the past that has been correct. That gives you massive cred so your argument trumps everyone else's.

Make sure to make a lot of guarantees that nobody will ever bother to check on. This makes your argument have turbo power that can't be stopped.

Last superhighpower tactic you can use, tell someone that the argument they are making is something where "people make that argument every year..." This means it's by default a bad argument and you win everything again.

H

HardRightEdge

Strengths
Low out of his stance and with good explosiveness. Springs into gaps to stress guards and split double teams. Usually first into neutral zone. Disruptive when working the gaps. Burly lower half with good thickness through his hips and thighs. Powerful leg drive pushes him through blocker's shoulder and into the backfield. Motor seemed to be revved more consistently in 2016 than in 2015. Pursues from backside with hustle. Has some bull rush potential if he keeps pads low.

Weaknesses
Strikes head first with eyes down losing sight of the play. Doesn't utilize hands well enough to keep himself clean. Needs to improve punch and extension to add value as a two-gap tackle. Sticks on blocks and labors to disengage. Short stepper with limited lateral effectiveness as pass rusher. Active as rusher but fails to stress the edge often enough. Has carried label as underachiever at times. Has talent but needs to more consistently play to it.

Draft Projection
Rounds 2-3

NFL Comparison
Jay Bromley

Bottom Line
Adams disappointed the scouting community with a pedestrian junior season that lacked passion and production. This season, he played with greater consistency of effort and found his way into the backfield far more often. Can be disruptive off the snap but is not the type of player to recover quickly if beaten early in the rep. He is a rotational defensive tackle for gap-attack defenses, but is unlikely to offer much as a pass rusher.
The most telling comment in this NFL.com profile is the following, with the key passage in bold:

"He is a rotational defensive tackle for gap-attack defenses, but is unlikely to offer much as a pass rusher.

Unless Capers has reinvented his D-Line concepts, "gap-attack" is definitely not his thing. He's all about gap discipline in the run game (hold position shed the block) and pocket contain in maintaining spacing with eyes up (push and then shed if the QB moves off his spot). He was more aggressive in years past, when Raji was young and before he was worn out and lost his motor, using jet rushes. I recall Raji saying somewhere around 2012 that his jet rushes had been taken away, maybe as a defense of the sack count fall 0ff, but the point is there.

Now, when we consider Clark, another guy who's more athletic than stout, playing smaller but quicker than his size/strength metrics would suggest together with this pick, maybe Capers intends to go back to more aggressive line play. If he doesn't, I'm not sure what this personnel approach is intended to do.

Sky King

Reaction score
You should also actually type out the word "period" after you make a point. Like this... "Best player in the draft. Period." That makes it so nobody else can reasonably dispute you and you automatically win everything in life that can be won.

Also, make sure to reference every prediction you've made in the past that has been correct. That gives you massive cred so your argument trumps everyone else's.

Make sure to make a lot of guarantees that nobody will ever bother to check on. This makes your argument have turbo power that can't be stopped.

Last superhighpower tactic you can use, tell someone that the argument they are making is something where "people make that argument every year..." This means it's by default a bad argument and you win everything again.
Aha! A student of the Hegelian Dialectic. ;)

H

HardRightEdge

I think it's "Josh Malone Time".

They can sign Jamaal Charles or Blount.
I'm on board with Blount. Evidently he's been asking for too much money as an 8th. year running back. One supposes he's biding his time for the post draft signing period where teams address remaining needs with vets. Besides the running style fitting my bill, here are some other aspects to consider:

- The league just doesn't pay 8 year running backs second contract money. He couldn't be that expensive.

- Despite 7 years in the league, his mileage is not that great with a career 1,214 touches. Compare to a bell cow like Alfred Morris who had 1125 touches with Washington over his first 4 seasons. Blount is fresh legs in comparison.

- He would bring two things to the proceedings he shares with Bennett. First, an attitude. There's a lot of "cerebral" in this locker room and in the overall proceedings, given the personality of the QB and the nature of the players. A couple of live wires could add some needed spicing up. Daniels cannot light a fire all by himself, and certainly not on the offensive side of the ball. Second, as St. Vince told us, and it brings a tear to my eye as write this, "winning is a habit". Having a couple of guys with fresh rings would some winning aura.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PFF loves him.

Pro comp: Jurrell Casey

If only.

I see the athleticism on tape, though. Running a 4.87 at that weight is crazy. However, I don't understand the point of drafting guys whose effort comes into question. Hopefully it won't be an issue.

Casey isn't super strong but he wins with technique and effort... Adams is a guy who has questionable EFFORT so

H

HardRightEdge

Aha! A student of the Hegelian Dialectic. ;)
Ah! A student of philosophy! You must have played in the Pac 12! ;)

In my student days, for some reason I found poetic expression of Hegel's historical dialectic in the following lines from Yeats:

"Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer"

Of course, the rest paints a different picture:

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."

The point being, in a stream of consciousness kind of way, this Yeat's stanza reminds me of recent Packer defenses. Yeah, that's right, LOL.

All I can say (well, certainly not "all" ;)), is the widening defensive gyre better start narrowing, the falcons' swirls start climbing up and stop spinning down, and the falconer and his falcons get on the same page.

Sky King

Reaction score
Ah! A student of philosophy! You must have played in the Pac 12! ;)

In my student days, for some reason I found poetic expression of Hegel's historical dialectic in the following lines from Yeats:

"Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer"

Of course, the rest paints a different picture:

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."

The point being, in a stream of consciousness kind of way, this Yeat's stanza reminds me of recent Packer defenses. Yeah, that's right, LOL.

All I can say (well, certainly not "all" ;)), is the widening defensive gyre better start narrowing, the falcons' swirls start climbing up and stop spinning down, and the falconer and his falcons get on the same page.
My thoughts exactly. :D

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've read that some of this guys perceived issues with "effort" might have to do with how many snaps they made him play at Auburn. Given that he'll be at the back end of the rotation (at least for a while), we might get more of his upside than they saw in college against all of those running teams in the SEC.

Then again, the third is always TT's "wtf reach" round...

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams will have to work on pass rush, but against the run he has the chance to be Gilbert Brown the 3-4 edition. This guy eats running backs. I don't see him in sub package right now, but maybe by year 2 or the end of year 1. Who knows

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've read that some of this guys perceived issues with "effort" might have to do with how many snaps they made him play at Auburn. Given that he'll be at the back end of the rotation (at least for a while), we might get more of his upside than they saw in college against all of those running teams in the SEC.

Then again, the third is always TT's "wtf reach" round...

Adams was not a reach at all. Nfl.com had him pegged as round 2 or 3. He has weaknesses like every pick.

What is interesting is the number 1 pick the draft had people questioning his motor and I heard some analysts say it is impossible to be a dl in college football and go all out every play. Teams just run too many plays. First time I really thought about that.

Not sure if he will pan out but people need to quit calling guys reaches just bc they liked someone else more.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams was not a reach at all. Nfl.com had him pegged as round 2 or 3. He has weaknesses like every pick.

What is interesting is the number 1 pick the draft had people questioning his motor and I heard some analysts say it is impossible to be a dl in college football and go all out every play. Teams just run too many plays. First time I really thought about that.

Not sure if he will pan out but people need to quit calling guys reaches just bc they liked someone else more.

Exactly, he was definitely not a reach, he was projected to go mid 2nd to early 3rd. You have to have a rotation with big guys, there's no way you can be that big and play a ton of snaps. If we keep him fresh, I think he could be extremely effective. I said before the draft that a line consisting of Adams, Daniels, and Clark would make me drool. Let me tell you, I'm salivating.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly, he was definitely not a reach, he was projected to go mid 2nd to early 3rd. You have to have a rotation with big guys, there's no way you can be that big and play a ton of snaps. If we keep him fresh, I think he could be extremely effective. I said before the draft that a line consisting of Adams, Daniels, and Clark would make me drool. Let me tell you, I'm salivating.

Add in Lowry who has solid potential and francois who is a proven back up and I think the dine has become a very solid group. Young. Athletic. Not easy to push around.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Because this DL class was poor, I was expecting prospects of Adams' caliber to get pushed up the board. I didn't really consider it for us for that reason. But at #91, the value is fine. They needed another upfield pass rusher on the interior. There's too much on Daniels as the only guy in that role.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The D-Line looks great right now. When you consider drafting Adams and signing Francois to go along with Daniels, Clark, Guion and Price were nicely stacked here. This will easily be the strength of the defense this season

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He was an otherwise healthy player in College who was injured during his senior campaign, good chance he's devalued. Then of course there's this:

“Adams looked like a man amongst boys (at practice),” Tony Pauline of Draft Analystwrote. “He was unstoppable and ran over anyone who tried to block him. … Adams proved one thing during three days of Senior Bowl practice — when he wants to play, he’s unstoppable. He offers the size, growth potential and power to be a dominant force on Sunday.”

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/montravius-adams-senior-bowl-nfl-draft-2017

Sky King

Reaction score
He was an otherwise healthy player in College who was injured during his senior campaign, good chance he's devalued. Then of course there's this:

“Adams looked like a man amongst boys (at practice),” Tony Pauline of Draft Analystwrote. “He was unstoppable and ran over anyone who tried to block him. … Adams proved one thing during three days of Senior Bowl practice — when he wants to play, he’s unstoppable. He offers the size, growth potential and power to be a dominant force on Sunday.”

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/montravius-adams-senior-bowl-nfl-draft-2017

Pauline is sometimes credited with offering some astute evaluations of talent. He most probably pegged the Datone Jones pick-up a few years back by stating that he was a misfit for the Packers style of D and their expectations for him -- that he was much better suited to play in a 4-3. If Jones does thrive in MN this season, per the theme of the Pauline comments, then I'll really look forward to seeing what Adams will do for the Pack in years to come.

Reaction score
I'm glad I missed this post draft day..it was stressful enough and this might've put me over the top. :rolleyes:

P

proudsoftballdad

If "effort" was a problem BEFORE, how much "effort" do you think he'll put in now that he's about to get paid????

I'm sorry, but i'm just a realist man... if you can't put in the effort as a top recruit playing for a national annually top 20 program... how can you be expected to put in effort now that you'll be paid millions?
Mike D will be a wonderful kick him in the *** motivater teammate enough said