Round 3, 93rd Auburn DT Montravious Adams

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Strengths
Low out of his stance and with good explosiveness. Springs into gaps to stress guards and split double teams. Usually first into neutral zone. Disruptive when working the gaps. Burly lower half with good thickness through his hips and thighs. Powerful leg drive pushes him through blocker's shoulder and into the backfield. Motor seemed to be revved more consistently in 2016 than in 2015. Pursues from backside with hustle. Has some bull rush potential if he keeps pads low.

Weaknesses
Strikes head first with eyes down losing sight of the play. Doesn't utilize hands well enough to keep himself clean. Needs to improve punch and extension to add value as a two-gap tackle. Sticks on blocks and labors to disengage. Short stepper with limited lateral effectiveness as pass rusher. Active as rusher but fails to stress the edge often enough. Has carried label as underachiever at times. Has talent but needs to more consistently play to it.

Draft Projection
Rounds 2-3

NFL Comparison
Jay Bromley

Bottom Line
Adams disappointed the scouting community with a pedestrian junior season that lacked passion and production. This season, he played with greater consistency of effort and found his way into the backfield far more often. Can be disruptive off the snap but is not the type of player to recover quickly if beaten early in the rep. He is a rotational defensive tackle for gap-attack defenses, but is unlikely to offer much as a pass rusher.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Effort effort effort. If this kid brings his lunch bucket every day like he did last year, we have ourselves a player. Tremendous athlete when you look at how measurables and you don't make second team AA by being a stiff. Hopefully this kid strives to be the best because God blessed him with some unique attributes. Mike D needs to take this young man under his wings and ride him like a $3 pack mule.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If "effort" was a problem BEFORE, how much "effort" do you think he'll put in now that he's about to get paid????

I'm sorry, but i'm just a realist man... if you can't put in the effort as a top recruit playing for a national annually top 20 program... how can you be expected to put in effort now that you'll be paid millions?

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If "effort" was a problem BEFORE, how much "effort" do you think he'll put in now that he's about to get paid????

I'm sorry, but i'm just a realist man... if you can't put in the effort as a top recruit playing for a national annually top 20 program... how can you be expected to put in effort now that you'll be paid millions?
Effort wasn't an issue last season. The kid cleaned up his game and came to play and he needs to be recognized for that. Trust me, I'm in the mortgage business and fully understand results are what they are. With that being said, if he can continue to play like he did last year then we have something we can work with. If not, we have another Thornton. Eeek

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
eh i still don't like that pick... you can take someone like that in the LATER rounds not the 3rd when there are other guys you can pick

I like King and Jones a lot though

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
eh i still don't like that pick... you can take someone like that in the LATER rounds not the 3rd when there are other guys you can pick

I'll put my name on him and come back and eat a crow sandy if he flames out. All the concern is from 2 seasons back. He had a great season and dominated Senior Bowl week. I get where your concern stems from though for sure bro.

Reaction score

He looks really stout. Might make a good compliment to Big Mike.

Hes at the hospital having a child. Nothing in life changes you for the better more than a having kids. While he's getting more responsible.. I promise you there will ge 2 more going the other direction

ChicagoPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This man is a beast. He's constantly penetrating offensive lines in the SEC and it hopefully translates to the NFL. 3 picks, 3 athletic freaks. I love it. Thank you TT.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
This man is a beast. He's constantly penetrating offensive lines in the SEC and it hopefully translates to the NFL. 3 picks, 3 athletic freaks. I love it. Thank you TT.

Yeah. I'm shocked. These are the type of guys the Seahawks usually draft. We got way more athletic today. I'm excited about Jones.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
eh, I would have like Watkins here more but... can't go back now, the pick is already official so whatever

H

HardRightEdge

He's going to need to play better than the spelling of his name in the title of this thread.

ChicagoPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah. I'm shocked. These are the type of guys the Seahawks usually draft. We got way more athletic today. I'm excited about Jones.

Yea bro, all 3 have amazing physical tools and have the ability to become big time play makers on the defensive side. I'm really happy with TT right now even after suffering through free agency. I think he did AMAZING today. A+

Now go get us a running back and more pass rushers please!

H

HardRightEdge

Here's is an absolutely dreadful game tape of Adams from 2015:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

There's marked improvement in the following tape from 2016, but there's not a lot to get excited about. He plays with a better motor, gets off blocks better, holds his point better, but he's still getting pushed around too often. He only did 22 lifts at the Combine, and that lack of upper body strength shows in the tape.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Yea bro, all 3 have amazing physical tools and have the ability to become big time play makers on the defensive side. I'm really happy with TT right now even after suffering through free agency. I think he did AMAZING today. A+

Now go get us a running back and more pass rushers please!

If they get Marlon Mack I'll forget about not getting Mixon. ;)

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^ thank you

See with Watkins it's mostly just technique as he gets TOO HIGH

both will have "lapses" with conditioning being bigger guys, but that's not my real concern as TT and we use/draft these DL to be rotational players. So it's fine, but him getting knocked off like that against GOOD teams worries me!

yes, he had a good Senior Bowl, but MANY, MANY, MANY busts over the years have done that too

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

These are the types of guys that Teddy used to draft back when he was building a Super Bowl team.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i LOVE King and Jones.... for DL, besides Raji and Daniels, TT hasn't ever really hit on anyone TBH lol (Pickett was a UDFA and Jolly was Sherman I believe)... so idk about that pick but the first two i liked lol

H

HardRightEdge

If they get Marlon Mack I'll forget about not getting Mixon. ;)
I've lost enthusiasm for a RB pick after Kareem Hunt went off the board at #86. I question whether Mack's game translates 2 or 3 steps up in competition into something other than what you get already with Christine Michael.

I like Perrine better but I'm not crazy about him. True north/south runner with good vision but not much in the way of wiggle, second level burst, top end speed or receiving experience. Then again, there have been some pretty good backs who did the job with just that...power and vision. Kinda fits the one cut and go that zone blocking calls for. Good production in the Big 12. It ain't the SEC, but it ain't blowing by Towson and Eastern Carolina guys either. This guy did 30 lifts at the Combine to Adams 22. :confused:

In a running back by committee group, which is what this will be, he adds a power dimension the other guys on the roster lack.

It would be kinda nice to have a RB who can get that tough yard on 3rd. and 1 (not Lacy's forte) or come in for a change of pace or when you're looking to do a ball control series. Lacy wasn't a short yardage guy; he was finesse to the hole; bull at the second level. Ripkowski has only shown effectiveness on the quick hitter from of the up back position.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PFF loves him.

Pro comp: Jurrell Casey

If only.

I see the athleticism on tape, though. Running a 4.87 at that weight is crazy. However, I don't understand the point of drafting guys whose effort comes into question. Hopefully it won't be an issue.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/montravius-adams

Interesting physical attributes. What is funny, the best two comparisons? Justin Harrell and Kyrie Thornton.

Perhaps the lack of motor comments are hold over impressions from previous season. I am skeptical. I think playing with Daniels, if he picks up his habits, could benefit him greatly. Especially the issue of him not using his hands. Hope he does the boxing/martial arts stuff with Daniels.

Seems like a risky pick to me. Wish TT would have gone in a different direction here. I will remain optimistic.

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remain skeptical about Adams. He reminds me too much about Thornton. Hope I'm off but he's the type of player that MM will put on IR for his rookie season if he gets manhandled in preseason games by getting turned sideways and not shedding blockers. Worthy was also the "explosive" gap penetrating disrupter. When he got to the pros that quick first step didn't work and he was manhandled. I just see too many similarities to Worthy and Thornton to think that this pick won't turn out differently.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've lost enthusiasm for a RB pick after Kareem Hunt went off the board at #86. I question whether Mack's game translates 2 or 3 steps up in competition into something other than what you get already with Christine Michael.

I like Perrine better but I'm not crazy about him. True north/south runner with good vision but not much in the way of wiggle, second level burst, top end speed or receiving experience. Then again, there have been some pretty good backs who did the job with just that...power and vision. Kinda fits the one cut and go that zone blocking calls for. Good production in the Big 12. It ain't the SEC, but it ain't blowing by Towson and Eastern Carolina guys either. This guy did 30 lifts at the Combine to Adams 22. :confused:

In a running back by committee group, which is what this will be, he adds a power dimension the other guys on the roster lack.

It would be kinda nice to have a RB who can get that tough yard on 3rd. and 1 (not Lacy's forte) or come in for a change of pace or when you're looking to do a ball control series. Lacy wasn't a short yardage guy; he was finesse to the hole; bull at the second level. Ripkowski has only shown effectiveness on the quick hitter from of the up back position.

One thing i noticed with Perine, he doesn't have a lot of lateral agility. But he has an almost weird ability to sidestep and slip would be tacklers with very quick instinctive movements.

Packers907

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing i noticed with Perine, he doesn't have a lot of lateral agility. But he has an almost weird ability to sidestep and slip would be tacklers with very quick instinctive movements.
We have more finesse with Ty and Michael isn't a consistent back. Looking for that power runner that we lost with Lacy. Really humble and works hard. Hoping to see him come to us first pick of the 4th.

Sky King

Reaction score
Back to the topic of this thread:

Adams is a really big man that is about as fast as our current longest tenured TE and our (former) most recent jack-of-all-trades DB. Ponder that one for a moment.

The speed is already there and then some. Strength can be improved in the weight room. Better technique can be learned. Experience will slow down the game for him. Attitudes can be adjusted. Maturity should further improve as he gets older, especially due to his growing responsibilities to his family.

His success will all break down to how much he wants it, same as any other person regardless of their chosen profession. He's got an asterisk next to his name because of the 2015 season. Fair enough. But in 2016 he showed marked improvement to his game. That shows me something very positive about which direction he's headed, though brief, because it's also the most recent indicator.

Until proven otherwise, and that will take more than one season with this team, I'm going to remain positive that he will someday develop into an important contributor for the Packer defense. Personally, there's more to be positive about than pessimistic about regarding this pick.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts