Roughing the passer by Matthews

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing. It was one of many flags thrown this year in the NFL for hits on the quarterback. If the ball has been thrown and the quarterback is hit afterwards, more than likely there will be a flag. I hate it, however in this multi-billion dollar business, they are going to continue to protect the quarterback.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Another reason why the NFL should not treat the quarterbacks as if they are the only players in the game, pampering them with penalties and the tuck rule.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
It was a crap call, but the Ref thought he was leading with his helmet. Maybe the Refs thought the game was getting too lopsided.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ponder hadn't even landed on the ground from throwing. Matthews caught him in the air. Horrible call. I thought they were gonna call it again on the very next play. The timing was almost exactly the same.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bad call. What makes me really angry is all the holding that goes uncalled. I guess the only way they can stop Matthews is to hold him, and if they aren't drawing the flag, they keep doing it because they are getting away with it and yet this BS penalty is called against him. Roughing the passer my tail!!! Someone had the brilliant idea to send the league footage of all the holds on Matthews. I wonder what they would do about it?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Bad call. What makes me really angry is all the holding that goes uncalled. I guess the only way they can stop Matthews is to hold him, and if they aren't drawing the flag, they keep doing it because they are getting away with it and yet this BS penalty is called against him. Roughing the passer my tail!!! Someone had the brilliant idea to send the league footage of all the holds on Matthews. I wonder what they would do about it?
Matthews wasn't the only one being held. Ref's miss calls or don't make them all the time. I saw at least 8 uncalled penalties in the game, some from both teams. Would they have made a difference in the game? I don't know. It sure would have slowed it down however.

gmann001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews wasn't the only one being held. Ref's miss calls or don't make them all the time. I saw at least 8 uncalled penalties in the game, some from both teams. Would they have made a difference in the game? I don't know. It sure would have slowed it down however.

I think it's because the refs are so busy watching the quarterbacks and who's hitting them that all the holding penalty's go unseen. Their (the refs) attention and focus can only be divided up so much. It wouldn't suprise me if in the near future, a new official will be added to the field just to focus on the QB's.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ponder hadn't even landed on the ground from throwing. Matthews caught him in the air. Horrible call. I thought they were gonna call it again on the very next play. The timing was almost exactly the same.

I was thinking the exact same thing, After that bad call and then seeing Bishop hit him with the exact same timing I was actually surprised a flag wasnt thrown.

You get bad calls for and against you.

To be fair, they got a pretty crappy 'roughing the passer call' against them earlier in the game too so I guess it all works out.

Packers_89

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah the timing on the Ponder hit was the exact same if not slower during the next play. It was such BS.

Reaction score
I have to agree with Raptorman. The ref's are not going to catch everything and sometimes catch nothing. But there is NO CONSPIRACY in the NFL! It irritates me when you get fans that complain about the ref's letting players get away with non calls. It's funny how I never get any call's wrong! LOL
Trapped

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

It's an old adage that holding could be called on every play in the NFL if the ref wanted to. They have to decide what is serious holding as compared to what normally always happens.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's an old adage that holding could be called on every play in the NFL if the ref wanted to. They have to decide what is serious holding as compared to what normally always happens.

That's true but it's also true that specific players get held more than others and it goes uncalled. I guess the only way they can stop a player like Matthews is to hold him and pray they won't get flagged. When they see they aren't getting flagged for it, they know they can get away with it and they keep doing it. I find if really funny they can notice he's wearing the wrong shoes and fine him for it and the refs can't see he's being held on nearly every play.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
That's true but it's also true that specific players get held more than others and it goes uncalled. I guess the only way they can stop a player like Matthews is to hold him and pray they won't get flagged. When they see they aren't getting flagged for it, they know they can get away with it and they keep doing it. I find if really funny they can notice he's wearing the wrong shoes and fine him for it and the refs can't see he's being held on nearly every play.
That's because the refs see what they want to see at times. I think that is were a lot of BS calls come from. Some player has a history of holding so they hold him to a higher standard. Works the same for QB's. After all, how many time have you seen Rodgers get tagged and it not called, and if it was Brady it would be 15 yards? I saw one play were the player got blocked past Brady and his hand hit Brady's helmet and Brady screamed bloody murder at the ref who throw a flag for roughing the passer. Total BS call.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I find if really funny they can notice he's wearing the wrong shoes and fine him for it and the refs can't see he's being held on nearly every play.

Refs dont do the fines, league has a clothing police so to speak that keeps track of it all..I think an ex packer is one of those cops

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
I was thinking the exact same thing, After that bad call and then seeing Bishop hit him with the exact same timing I was actually surprised a flag wasnt thrown.

You get bad calls for and against you.

To be fair, they got a pretty crappy 'roughing the passer call' against them earlier in the game too so I guess it all works out.

maybe the refs did a make-up non-call for their bad one?

Oh wait, neither one was really bad.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL refs have never heard of momentum.

They've also never heard of consistency. That's what bugs me the most, not the rule itself, but inconsistency in enforcing them. I have been saying for a long time, the rules and officiating system in the NFL needs to be overhauled and restructured. A ref "seeing what they want to see" is an example of a poor work ethic to me. It makes me lose respect for them and what they do.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They've also never heard of consistency. That's what bugs me the most, not the rule itself, but inconsistency in enforcing them. I have been saying for a long time, the rules and officiating system in the NFL needs to be overhauled and restructured. A ref "seeing what they want to see" is an example of a poor work ethic to me. It makes me lose respect for them and what they do.
I'm still willing to cut them some slack since they are only human and won't always call a game 100% perfect.
However I do agree with the notion of having full time refs during the NFL season.
(With all those millions, could the NFL/teams pay them in the off season? If that was all paid vacation time, Where would I apply to be a ref?)
And I think the coach should be able to throw out the challenge flag more often.
I dunno if holding the refs more accountable than they already are would really do anything since I have no clue what the motivation is for throwing the flag here or there. I'm under the impression the yellow comes out whenever they think they see something wrong no matter who is doing it.
Sure, they could be threatened to have pay docked or fines but they would still miss calls.

We could look on the brights side of things;
Give 'em credit for getting calls right when they do.
Each touch down play is reviewed.
The NFL has reviews in place which can overturn calls and go our way.
The Packers are not committing anywhere near the number of penalties they were doing a season or two ago.
Anything else?

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still willing to cut them some slack since they are only human and won't always call a game 100% perfect.
However I do agree with the notion of having full time refs during the NFL season.
(With all those millions, could the NFL/teams pay them in the off season? If that was all paid vacation time, Where would I apply to be a ref?)
And I think the coach should be able to throw out the challenge flag more often.
I dunno if holding the refs more accountable than they already are would really do anything since I have no clue what the motivation is for throwing the flag here or there. I'm under the impression the yellow comes out whenever they think they see something wrong no matter who is doing it.
Sure, they could be threatened to have pay docked or fines but they would still miss calls.

We could look on the brights side of things;
Give 'em credit for getting calls right when they do.
Each touch down play is reviewed.
The NFL has reviews in place which can overturn calls and go our way.
The Packers are not committing anywhere near the number of penalties they were doing a season or two ago.
Anything else?

I don't expect them to be perfect, just some calls they "miss" are blatantly obvious to the point where I question their integrity. Maybe I am being a bit ******* them, but I honestly do wonder how they miss stuff that's right in front of their eyes.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
I would never want to be a ref. You're always going to p*ss off some people. I really don't think they intentionally make bad calls. They call 'em as they see 'em. If they were forced to change every call that was marginal, or that people didn't agree with, they would have absolutely no credibility. I agree that some calls appear as though their heads are positioned firmly in places where the sun doesn't shine but I don't think there is a conspiracy. Their audience is too large to get away with something like that.

Members online

Latest posts