Ross Verba

Packman5

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard people talking about Ross Verba coming back to play with the Pack and i was just wondering why he left in the 1st place i mean did we cut him or was he a free agent cus i can't remember.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Apparently Verba was seen in Austin Straubel airport this past afternoon.

Heard it on the radio, a caller claimed to have seen him around 4-5ish.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

I'm from California so I have no clue where Austin Straubel A/P is.

If Verba is in good shape I would check him out.

dannychau22

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CalifPacker said:
Zero2Cool said:

I think he would be a good fit for the scheme we are running, and Austin Straubel I believe is Green bays airport

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dannychau22 said:
CalifPacker said:
Zero2Cool said:

I think he would be a good fit for the scheme we are running, and Austin Straubel I believe is Green bays airport

Thanks, dannychau22.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
CalifPacker said:
Zero2Cool said:

Austin Strauble is jus outside of Green Bay in a little village called Ashwaubenon. It's the main airport to Green Bay.

Sorry about that lol

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers | Verba trying to schedule a visit
Tue, 2 May 2006 19:51:24 -0700

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports free agent OT Ross Verba (Browns) is trying to schedule his first visit with his former team, the Green Bay Packers. Verba was out of football last year after buying out his contract and becoming a free agent. As previously noted, Verba is attempting a comeback for the 2006 season.

http://www.kffl.com/player/453/NFL

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
SuperRat said:
Packers | Verba trying to schedule a visit
Tue, 2 May 2006 19:51:24 -0700

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports free agent OT Ross Verba (Browns) is trying to schedule his first visit with his former team, the Green Bay Packers. Verba was out of football last year after buying out his contract and becoming a free agent. As previously noted, Verba is attempting a comeback for the 2006 season.

http://www.kffl.com/player/453/NFL

Thank ya!

I wonder if the guy I heard on the radio really did see Verba at the airport. At first I figured it was some guy trying to start something like what happened with Arrington (although that was true).

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so hopefully it is some guy trying to start something like what happened with arrington (hopefully this turns out differently though)

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Packman5 said:
why did Verba leave Greenbay? was he a free agent and signed with cleveland or what happpened?

"I can't overemphasize how important offensive linemen are," Ron Wolf said. "What Ross Verba adds to us is flexibility in our offensive line for the first time since we've been here."
Verba was taken in the first round 30th pick over all.

In 2001 he chose to sign with another team, the Browns over the Packers. I believe he chose another team because the Packers wanted him to play a different position than he wanted. We wanted Guard, he wanted Tackle. I believe, I am not for certain.

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers made him play guard in 2000, he wanted to play tackle, so he left as a free agent and signed with Cleveland in 2001. At Cleveland he wanted top tackle money and Browns wouldn't pay it so he bought out his contract and sat out all of 2005. Was injured in 2003 and did not play that year either.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm real excited to hear Ross Verba is sniffing around again.(NOT!) heavy sigh.....

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Packman5 said:
why did Verba leave Greenbay? was he a free agent and signed with cleveland or what happpened?

"I can't overemphasize how important offensive linemen are," Ron Wolf said. "What Ross Verba adds to us is flexibility in our offensive line for the first time since we've been here."
Verba was taken in the first round 30th pick over all.

In 2001 he chose to sign with another team, the Browns over the Packers. I believe he chose another team because the Packers wanted him to play a different position than he wanted. We wanted Guard, he wanted Tackle. I believe, I am not for certain.

As I recall we wanted to keep him, but didn't want to pay him top dollar. He got more by going to Cleveland. In turn Wahle got a chance to move to guard (since he flopped at LT) and obviously we were just fine. At the time it was a big deal since Wahle flopped at LT and most fans doubted his ability to play guard.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe it would be a good move to sign Verba in case Wahle or Clifton do go down injured. Clifton being held out of mini camp isn't a good sign.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Source

he former Green Bay Packers guard and tackle has signed a four-year deal with the Cleveland Browns to become their starting right tackle. Terms of the deal were not released, but several players in the Packers locker room said they thought it was worth $16 million and included a signing bonus of $5 million.

The signing ends Verba's four-year run with the Packers, which began in 1997, when he was drafted in the first round out of the University of Iowa. The Packers made almost no attempt to re-sign Verba because they thought they would not be able to meet his demands.

During his four years with the Packers, Verba played three seasons at left tackle and one at left guard. He was the first rookie to start at left tackle in the Super Bowl and held the position solidly until Mike Sherman took over as coach and moved him to guard.

** Interesting...A very good offensive lineman was not even offered money and he bolted to get top dollar...All this while Ron Wolf was in charge??? This sounds VERY familiar, now doesnt it?

And Sherman decided it was best to move Verba to guard, even tho he was SOLID at tackle???

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Source

he former Green Bay Packers guard and tackle has signed a four-year deal with the Cleveland Browns to become their starting right tackle. Terms of the deal were not released, but several players in the Packers locker room said they thought it was worth $16 million and included a signing bonus of $5 million.

The signing ends Verba's four-year run with the Packers, which began in 1997, when he was drafted in the first round out of the University of Iowa. The Packers made almost no attempt to re-sign Verba because they thought they would not be able to meet his demands.

During his four years with the Packers, Verba played three seasons at left tackle and one at left guard. He was the first rookie to start at left tackle in the Super Bowl and held the position solidly until Mike Sherman took over as coach and moved him to guard.

** Interesting...A very good offensive lineman was not even offered money and he bolted to get top dollar...All this while Ron Wolf was in charge??? This sounds VERY familiar, now doesnt it?

And Sherman decided it was best to move Verba to guard, even tho he was SOLID at tackle???
Hold on longtime, you are making sense now! Some posters want to continue to view the world to be flat. The rounder you make the more uncomfortable they get.

I remember Verba fondly. He was a nasty player. He was drafted the year after Baltimore stole Ray Lewis from us and we ended up with Jon Michels. I remember Verba held out his rookie year becasue he knew Michels was a ***** and that he would be the starting left tackle. I also remember thinking Verba's best posititon would be guard so he could mix it up with the DT's. I was disappointed he left for Cleveland.

Verba would be a solid addition this year, because some of these young guys may need a little more time. I would feel better with him in the fold.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do believe we had Tauscher and Clifton, who both ended up starting as rookies because of injury and proved to be the best tackles on the team.
Verba didn't want to play guard so he left for Cleveland and the big payday.

I think maybe it is time for some of you to move on and quit blaming Mike Sherman for everything, TT has been through his second draft, he has hired the guy he wanted for HC, so why not try supporting this years team instead of playing the same old blame game that has been going on this board for way to long. Some of us are sick of hearing about it.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also if Verba is signed that makes five former Iowa Hawkeyes on the roster. Right now there is Kampman, Hodge, and Cole on the active roster and Traynor in NFL Europe.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Wasnt it Verba his 1st day ( or close to that) in camp that started a fight with someone??

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:
I do believe we had Tauscher and Clifton, who both ended up starting as rookies because of injury and proved to be the best tackles on the team.
Verba didn't want to play guard so he left for Cleveland and the big payday.

I think maybe it is time for some of you to move on and quit blaming Mike Sherman for everything, TT has been through his second draft, he has hired the guy he wanted for HC, so why not try supporting this years team instead of playing the same old blame game that has been going on this board for way to long. Some of us are sick of hearing about it.

I am not blaming him for anything?? I was just poiting out he moved him to guard when it seemed he was doing a great job at tackle...Dont forget he was the 1st rookie left tackle to start in a Super Bowl..

Latest posts