Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RB Kylin Hill

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Other

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 6794

Spitz started 45 games over 5 seasons, a rate of 56%. Marshall Newhouse started 31 games over 3 seasons, a rate of 65%. Starting stats probably aren't the best measuring stick but I get your point.

Colledge is a bubble guy too. He started but was average by most measurements of an offensive lineman. Newhouse started a lot of games for two years, and if I remember, switching from LT to RT. Spits similarly played most positions on the OL, never nailing one down, and then served as a backup his final year before leaving in FA.

I personally don't think any of them underwhelmed or overwhelmed...or whelmed. They were just guys who showed enough to get a shot at starting, but were not worth keeping. Maybe they all deserve a separate designation.

It's true that the number of starts isn't a great measuring stick for a player's success but it's definitely better to have a third round pick ending up playing ibstead of sitting on the bench.

He is the Packers all time leading tackler and they Packers had some pretty good defenders I'd say.

Hawk didn't make enough impact plays though and had most of his tackles after opponents gained too many yards.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet he continually made those tackles - imagine how big plays would have been without him in there? Pure speculations both ways. Hawk was a solid NFL ILB for many years. Not great, not elite, but solid and his team and coaches knew precisely what and how he would play.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Hawk didn't make enough impact plays though and had most of his tackles after opponents gained too many yards.
I'm not going to knock Hawk's play at all. He was a solid starter for many years.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...and, as has been pointed out numerous times, it's not his fault he was drafted where he was. Bad draft choice, blue-collar performance.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, Slaton in the lead...would have been nice to see this optimism when he was playing for the Gators. Maybe it was just too hot for him down here?

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Man, Slaton in the lead...would have been nice to see this optimism when he was playing for the Gators. Maybe it was just too hot for him down here?
I think it is more about opportunity. Beyond Clark, who is going to challenge him as a rookie?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well only 19 people have voted, and Slaton leads with a whopping 5 votes!

The intent of the poll and thread was to ask which rookie would surprise you the most, not who will be the best rookie. Therefore it's almost hard to pick Stokes or Rodgers because most people expect them to do well.

If Kylin Hill turns in a rookie-of-the-year performance, now THAT would be a surprise!

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The intent of the poll and thread was to ask which rookie would surprise you the most, not who will be the best rookie. Therefore it's almost hard to pick Stokes or Rodgers because most people expect them to do well.

If Kylin Hill turns in a rookie-of-the-year performance, now THAT would be a surprise!

This was exactly my reasoning and I quickly eliminated Stokes and Rodgers from my list as well. Slaton has the most upside chances given measurables of what he might be capable of.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I went with Stokes because I'm hoping he can overcome the history of CBs who have to transition to dealing with illegal contact in the pros; at best it usually takes some time and the Packers really can't afford for Stokes to not pass King on the depth chart this season.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was exactly my reasoning and I quickly eliminated Stokes and Rodgers from my list as well. Slaton has the most upside chances given measurables of what he might be capable of.
Even the most highly touted DL usually don't make an impact early.
Now, I think a RB has the best chance of any position to make an impact as a rookie. And I think Hill is very talented. The only thing keeping him from being making my list is have 2 studs ahead of him. But you never know. Up by 30. One is nursing a hammy and Hill gets a shot and runs with it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even the most highly touted DL usually don't make an impact early.

Now, I think a RB has the best chance of any position to make an impact as a rookie. And I think Hill is very talented. The only thing keeping him from being making my list is have 2 studs ahead of him. But you never know. Up by 30. One is nursing a hammy and Hill gets a shot and runs with it.

The question here is not who makes the largest impact.

Reaction score
That may not be so far fetched actually. His conditioning was his main concern and there’s no question playing in the Cool North isn’t as stressful on a big man.
Speaking of his conditioning. They reported he came into Camp between 20-30lbs lighter than where his previous playing weight was, which is encouraging.

Thirdly, his strength is his strength. Meaning Slaton’s calling card is using raw power to overwhelm with a bullrush and aided by an occasional swim move. Which by deduction to me speaks to he has room to grow himself in a technical area. You can teach technique, you really can’t teach raw power. I Like that kinda problem.

I see a limited 2 down player, who if he can refine his tool arsenal, can be productive in an area we haven’t had in sometime. He can be formidable in a short yardage game of goal line. He’s our true NT and he’s not here to rack up Sacks, as some in here will no less judge him on. He’s here to eat multiple blocks and cause disruption by moving the Center off his base and feet and into the QB pocket.
He’s a handful of explosive, 6’5X330lb.
75% of the Centers he’ll face won’t like him very much. The others will require some help to contain him. Which is exactly what we need.

My initial draft board had the Rams young Bobby Brown III as a nice chess piece a round earlier, but I’m pretty happy getting Slaton just before the opening of Round 6.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That may not be so far fetched actually. His conditioning was his main concern and there’s no question playing in the Cool North isn’t as stressful on a big man.
Speaking of his conditioning. They reported he came into Camp between 20-30lbs lighter than where his previous playing weight was, which is encouraging.

Thirdly, his strength is his strength. Meaning Slaton’s calling card is using raw power to overwhelm with a bullrush and aided by an occasional swim move. Which by deduction to me speaks to he has room to grow himself in a technical area. You can teach technique, you really can’t teach raw power. I Like that kinda problem.

I see a limited 2 down player, who if he can refine his tool arsenal, can be productive in an area we haven’t had in sometime. He can be formidable in a short yardage game of goal line. He’s our true NT and he’s not here to rack up Sacks, as some in here will no less judge him on. He’s here to eat multiple blocks and cause disruption by moving the Center off his base and feet and into the QB pocket.
He’s a handful of explosive, 6’5X330lb.
75% of the Centers he’ll face won’t like him very much. The others will require some help to contain him. Which is exactly what we need.

My initial draft board had the Rams young Bobby Brown III as a nice chess piece a round earlier, but I’m pretty happy getting Slaton just before the opening of Round 6.

exactly! Main reason many fans took forever to understand and see the value of Clark even, but Slaton is going to show on stat lines even less potentially given his role. However, football eyes will see his value if he is eating up the middle

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
What kind of surprise are you thinking of non-performance related? Solves the Rubic's cube underwater while blindfolded? Better fashion sense than anticipated?
Maybe one of the UDFA DTs rolls up on Jones leg in practice? Chest bumps Arod and he seperates his shoulder when he falls? Those are surprise impacts.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Changed my vote to Josh Myers. I hope he plays as well as I think he might.

Members online

Latest posts