Rodgers?

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say that Brett should reduce his playing time and let Rodgers in on some snaps, sort of a transitional phasing. Prepare for life after Brett.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say that Brett should reduce his playing time and let Rodgers in on some snaps, sort of a transitional phasing. Prepare for life after Brett.

Your kidding me. You know that's never going to happen.

The only way it does is in blowout situations.

Reaction score
Well he seems to be improving.

I became highly skeptical of Rodgers after he blasted his o-line in the Loss where he broke his foot. You could see he lost the O-line pretty damn quick, to the point where they weren't even helping him up when he got knocked down.

That's pretty f'n impressive considering how short of a time he had been in the game.

Plus history says it is unlikely he'll be a good QB, so that also causes me to have my doubts about him.

Hope he proves me wrong though.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'll have to overcome the Stigma of being a Tedford QB on top of constantly being compared to Brett.

The only way he'll see the field during the regular season is if Brett goes down with injury or the Packers are being blown out or are blowing out another team.

That being said, the only way we'll know if he is a good QB is when Brett retires and he actually gets some legitimate playing time. He'll probably be penciled in the starter, but he'll still probably have to earn the job come the first training camp in the post Favre era.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are we in trouble with him, can he do it?

Well, my real estate agent's parents are season ticket holders to Cal, and really hard-core fans. They rarely miss a game. They're both convinced Rodgers has it. We'll see if that translates to success in the NFL. I hope so, but I don't expect him to play for another two to three years because Favre's not retiring after this season.

Rodgers may be gone by the time Favre retires.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ILOVETHEPACK said:
Are we in trouble with him, can he do it?

Well, my real estate agent's parents are season ticket holders to Cal, and really hard-core fans. They rarely miss a game. They're both convinced Rodgers has it. We'll see if that translates to success in the NFL. I hope so, but I don't expect him to play for another two to three years because Favre's not retiring after this season.

Rodgers may be gone by the time Favre retires.
Like Detmer, Brooks, Brunell.....and on and on the list goes!LOLOLOL!!!
Hey, i don't care WHO replaces Favre, they are gonna have a hard time. He's a tough act to follow.
And look how many other teams have gone through QB after QB just since Favre became our starter! It must be in the hundreds by now. So our chance of having another QB like him in my lifetime is slim. I got to see Starr AND Favre, and feel blessed being able to see them both.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no reason to believe that Rogers cannot be a great quarterback. He has a good arm, throws accurately, is somewhat mobile,and seems to be very bright. What we don't' know about yet is can he do it at this level? He has proven to be outstanding at Cal. Will he be another Brett Favre? More than likely not, but if you surround him with great players he can have an outstanding career here. Bart Starr was probably an average talent who was surrounded by great athletes and all he had to do was execute and be smart. He could do both. I believe in Rogers.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no reason to believe that Rogers cannot be a great quarterback. He has a good arm, throws accurately, is somewhat mobile,and seems to be very bright. What we don't' know about yet is can he do it at this level? He has proven to be outstanding at Cal. Will he be another Brett Favre? More than likely not, but if you surround him with great players he can have an outstanding career here. Bart Starr was probably an average talent who was surrounded by great athletes and all he had to do was execute and be smart. He could do both. I believe in Rogers.
I agree. Starr wasn't a "great" QB by todays standards. I think he only threw 156 (or something like that) touchdowns in his career. But he was smart, and a great on field leader. He called all his own plays. (I really miss that!)
I heard a story that in one of Starr's first games, some D-man really nailed him. Blood was coming out of Starr's mouth, and the D-man said "Welcome to the NFL!" Starr just spit out the blood, and then dismantled the other team's D!

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As McCarthy has said, you never know about a QB until he is "The Man". That is when legitimate NFL QBs separate themselves from the also-rans. Until that happens with Rodgers, no one will ever know how he'll do.

In the meantime, it's hard to believe that we got more production from other first round picks such as Jamal Reynolds and Ahmad Carroll than we've gotten, and may ever get, out of Aaron Rodgers.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I continue to remind my friends here that if MM and TT were concerned about Rodgers, they would have picked Brady Quinn @ 16. They didn't though. And last year they could have picked Leinert or Cutler at #5 but didn't. I choose to believe that they picked Hawk and Harrell because they didn't feel another QB was needed. That gives me hope for the future of our team.

Green_Bay_Packers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I continue to remind my friends here that if MM and TT were concerned about Rodgers, they would have picked Brady Quinn @ 16. They didn't though. And last year they could have picked Leinert or Cutler at #5 but didn't. I choose to believe that they picked Hawk and Harrell because they didn't feel another QB was needed. That gives me hope for the future of our team.

yes but Favre was still playing for us so we didn't need a QB so we picked Hawk and Harrell as our number 1 picks in the last 2 years.

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well after the static between TT and Brett, I expect that this year will be Bretts final year. I say the Packers should just go with Rodgers and then make a run at Brian Brohm, Senior, Lousiville next season. This guy is pretty damn good and will be a franchise QB somewhere in the pros.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well after the static between TT and Brett, I expect that this year will be Bretts final year. I say the Packers should just go with Rodgers and then make a run at Brian Brohm, Senior, Lousiville next season. This guy is pretty damn good and will be a franchise QB somewhere in the pros.

Rodgers is going to do better than alot of people expect when Brett rides off into the sunset.
The Packers won't be drafting high enough to get Brohm.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Arron has not had a chance to prove himself as a STARTER. By STARTER I mean the chance to start 4 or 5 games in a row and learn, adapt, overcome, and achieve.

When he did have a chance, he played on a broken foot and did not come out of the game. I remember that game. He showed the guts of a gazelle getting eating alive by hihenas on the Serengeti.

For any of us here on a forum including R.P. (As idiots who know very little about player evaluation compared to the coaches.) to suggest the Packers draft a QB in the first round next year is just jabber talk.

I just can not, in my heart, in my mind, and in my sanity suggest that the Packers give up on this kid and draft a QB in the first round next year until Aaron gets his chance to prove what he can do in a game situation in 4 or 5 successive opportunities to start.

The fact is so many people have sold him out based on his limited opportunities is so fan like. It is The Brett syndrome and it is sick.

Aaron has played small parts in 5 games and thrown the ball 31 times. Yep! Let's move on.

As you were gentleman...

Continue on about whatever....

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, i don't care WHO replaces Favre, they are gonna have a hard time. He's a tough act to follow.
And look how many other teams have gone through QB after QB just since Favre became our starter! It must be in the hundreds by now. So our chance of having another QB like him in my lifetime is slim. I got to see Starr AND Favre, and feel blessed being able to see them both.

This is another reason that whomever says that aging is a curse if full of it. I envy older people. I wasn't alive when Lombardi was Coach. I never got to see Randy Rhoads play live before he died either.

Age is a blessing. The next generation will say the same thing to me. "Man, you're so lucky you got to see Brett Favre play. I wasn't even born yet."

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

This is another reason that whomever says that aging is a curse if full of it. I envy older people. I wasn't alive when Lombardi was Coach. I never got to see Randy Rhoads play live before he died either.

Age is a blessing. The next generation will say the same thing to me. "Man, you're so lucky you got to see Brett Favre play. I wasn't even born yet."
Good post Zombie!
Getting older sucks, but it beats taking a "dirt nap!"LOL! :rotflmao:
And you are right, we ARE lucky we got to see Favre play! Who knows if we will EVER see a QB of his talent again in our lifetimes.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green_Bay_Packers said:

yes but Favre was still playing for us so we didn't need a QB so we picked Hawk and Harrell as our number 1 picks in the last 2 years.

yes, and the year Rodgers was drafted..Favre was still playing for us too.
That's not a valid point to say that's the rationale for not drafting a QB in Hawk's draft year.

Thompson has the QB he wants. He hasn't drafted Lienart, Young, Cutler, Quinn, etc..for a reason.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Arron has not had a chance to prove himself as a STARTER. By STARTER I mean the chance to start 4 or 5 games in a row and learn, adapt, overcome, and achieve.

When he did have a chance, he played on a broken foot and did not come out of the game. I remember that game. He showed the guts of a gazelle getting eating alive by hihenas on the Serengeti.

For any of us here on a forum including R.P. (As idiots who know very little about player evaluation compared to the coaches.) to suggest the Packers draft a QB in the first round next year is just jabber talk.

I just can not, in my heart, in my mind, and in my sanity suggest that the Packers give up on this kid and draft a QB in the first round next year until Aaron gets his chance to prove what he can do in a game situation in 4 or 5 successive opportunities to start.

The fact is so many people have sold him out based on his limited opportunities is so fan like. It is The Brett syndrome and it is sick.

Aaron has played small parts in 5 games and thrown the ball 31 times. Yep! Let's move on.

As you were gentleman...

Continue on about whatever....

Great post Raider Pride.

A lot of people critique Aaron because he didn't have any specific talent that stood out like Vince Young's running(that's all he can do)..and Cutler's arm.

Peyton Manning didn't have anything "outstanding" of his abilities when he came out of college either. He was just a VERY GOOD game managing QB. That's also what Rodgers is known for.

Talent is not just big arm, fast feet. Talent is game managing..having a cerbebral game plan, etc. Aaron's got that. ANd his arm's not too shabby either.

The time he has to learn in this offense is just going to make him better.
He just needs live bullets and then we'll see what it's all about.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green_Bay_Packers said:
he will have learned from the best in Favre so that should help him and hopefully he will be a great quaterback in the future, we need to build for the future as Favre will have to retire one day :rubeyes: .
I love Brett Favre as much as anyone on here if not more lol. I dont think he is learning how to be a quarterback from Favre. I think the future of the Packers would be in HUGE trouble if he was learning strait with Favre. Favre is a once in a team history kinda guy. I dont want anyone but Brett to try to do things the way he does(forcing passes, throwing across field with three defenders in his face..ect..) No one else in the league can hardly do the things Brett does, and Favre can hardly even do them anymore! I think Rodgers will be fine. But i hope we move into a pure style of west coast offense! I think it fits Rodgers good, plus I think it is a good style for a young quarterback with Talent. Which Rodgers is.

Members online

Latest posts