New Ownerships

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was listening to a segment on sports radio this morning taking kids to school and they were talking about new styles of ownerships across the leagues and now the NFL. Was brought up with Bucks changing a minority owner but talked a lot about NFL ownerships too.

I didn't realize this but in 2018 the NFL got rid of rules that didn't allow for people or groups to own teams in different markets, ie, you couldn't own Brewers and part of the patriots or couldn't own Browns and Indians because they didn't want someone to have a controlling interest over marketing to drive one up or down to benefit the other. I can see how that could get complicated.

So now instead of being owned by families or having an "owner" now more bids seem to be coming in where people are acting as equity investment firms, hedge fund managers etc. This guy was was a professor of sports marketing, i forget where. Anyway his point was how subtle changes could really affect the lay of the land going forward. Equity managers don't have or can't have an allegiance to a team, they legally have it to their shareholders and to make them money. As this becomes more common it could be less is thought of about the city or the fans and more about how does this make my investors money.

and it's not long term thinking because the nature of the business requires about every 7 years or so, give or take, they buy and sell new interests because at that point they owe their shareholders. I briefly thought of how GB doesn't have a single owner, but then we're not set up at all like what this guy was talking about so I don't think it's very relatable. But I'm not a money guy. Maybe some of our bankers can chime in. On the surface, I don't like much as a fan of the league.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
At $6-8 billion there is a very finite pool of individuals that could be a sole owner of a NFL franchise. Take a look at the list from Forbes (link below) and see how many you would be enthused about owning an NFL team. Opening up ownership rules to allow corporate ownership increase the pool of buyers and will help push team prices higher. There may come a time when buying and selling publicly traded voting shares of stock in a team becomes possible. I also don't care for it but I think it is inevitable.

https://www.forbes.com/real-time-billionaires/#793c73b13d78

OP
OP
M

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At $6-8 billion there is a very finite pool of individuals that could be a sole owner of a NFL franchise. Take a look at the list from Forbes (link below) and see how many you would be enthused about owning an NFL team. Opening up ownership rules to allow corporate ownership increase the pool of buyers and will help push team prices higher. There may come a time when buying and selling publicly traded voting shares of stock in a team becomes possible. I also don't care for it but I think it is inevitable.

https://www.forbes.com/real-time-billionaires/#793c73b13d78
oh, I agree, they've risen too high to keep it family ownership. I'm just not sure I like the investor side of it and that it's the way to go.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Opening up ownership rules to allow corporate ownership increase the pool of buyers and will help push team prices higher. There may come a time when buying and selling publicly traded voting shares of stock in a team becomes possible. I also don't care for it but I think it is inevitable.
"Inevitable" being the operative word here. Yeah, it's going to happen. There is way too much money at stake to prevent it. It can't be prevented. As I say, there is money to be made and aforementioned "ownership rules" are a stumbling block to the NFL accomplishing their ultimate goal of being an international entity. Rules are changed all of the time to accommodate the ability to churn out money to the already wealthy - an example would be the SCOTUS ruling in Citizen's United which essentially said that Corporations are "individuals" right, let's just break it down to it's most simple form? Which brings me to the next issue ... corporate ownerships would "fer shur" bring down the NFL's still tacit antitrust exemption. To my thinking, when I hear the term THE SHIELD affixed to the NFL - I think they're referring to their antitrust exemption, not the logo.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
A glimpse into the future? LADIES AND GENTLEMEN. YOUR GREEN BAY PACKERS BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE BOB JOHNSON DOOR MAT COMPANY (roar of the crowd goes here).

Members online

Latest posts