Rodgers should get play calling duties.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I'm with you, Mondio. It's the usual off-season speculation that kind of takes on a life of its own after a while. Off season drives me nuts -- sheesh, I can't even listen to Sports Talk during the off-season. All you really get from them is "churning" -- an effort to push up drive-time numbers or link clicks.

I will however say that Rodgers, Brady as well, could pull it off. Manning? I'm not so sure ... I think that Manning would be more prone toward opening a non-stop aerial offensive completely abandoning the run -- and not caring that the defense has installed 11 DB's. Rodgers and Brady are very intelligent guys ( my opinion ) and could effectively run an offense on the field. I was a fan of Rodgers from the first time I heard him speak -- I'm a little prejudicial that way -- if they can't piece a coherent sentence together ... lots of luck.

D

Deleted member 6794

I will however say that Rodgers, Brady as well, could pull it off. Manning? I'm not so sure ... I think that Manning would be more prone toward opening a non-stop aerial offensive completely abandoning the run -- and not caring that the defense has installed 11 DB's. Rodgers and Brady are very intelligent guys ( my opinion ) and could effectively run an offense on the field. I was a fan of Rodgers from the first time I heard him speak -- I'm a little prejudicial that way -- if they can't piece a coherent sentence together ... lots of luck.

Rodgers is for sure smart enough to make adjustments on the line of scrimmage based on the personnel on the field. There are other things factoring into play calling though as making substitutions, game situation and clock management a QB can't take care of.

Caya

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ah, it's the comradery in here that keeps me comin' back.
I would like to propose a toast..
"Here's to all the little people that brighten my day.. like everything bagels that could just as easy been plain bagels"
Yeah. People in this forum can have some attitude. We had the #1 offense last year. We stand to only get better. I just want a top 10 defense and better special teams. If we can just do that, we can get over the hump.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah. People in this forum can have some attitude. We had the #1 offense last year. We stand to only get better. I just want a top 10 defense and better special teams. If we can just do that, we can get over the hump.

There's no doubt the offense will be great once again. While you're right that a top 10 defense would significantly improve the Packers chances to win the Super Bowl the question is if the unit has improved enough to realistically expect such an outcome.

paulska

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems to me that MM ran the uptempo no huddle at interesting times last season- they'd do it it right after the half or at the start of a game. Other times, they'd play clock control and blast people to death with Lacy and Starks.

I do see the ability to run the uptempo no huddle as a huge plus- some teams lack the personnel and scheme to do it. The fact that it's a tool we can execute with success when it's advantageous to do so is awesome.

I also see the flexibility of our team to slow it down and pound away as a plus too. Think about how the Buffalo Bills with Kelly at the helm might have been well served by being able to switch gears and ball control other ball control teams to death once they struck a strong lead (think the NY Giants). It puts teams in places where they have to switch out of their strength to catch up and play to the strengths of our defense.

I think one of the overall trends in the NFL is to be masters of diversity- you see more defenders with the capacity to deliver high impact play from multiple positions (which I think is the motivation/mindset behind Randall and Rollins). You see players like Percy Harvin, Randall Cobb, Darren Sproles being such important pieces of offensive schemes. It makes it tough to game plan one way to stop your team or create advantageous matchups for your own squad.

If I remember correctly, MM instituted a far quicker pace in OTA's and training camp a few seasons ago to drive the overall execution of the offense and augment our ability to get value out of no huddle scenarios. It seems like that has really paid off for us. I know early in the more no huddle more often phase last season the broadcasters made a lot out of ARod's efficiency in that mode- his stats were really dominant.

We're equipped to do it all the time if we wanted to. I just think that having it as one potential problem teams have to deal with makes our offense more dangerous overall: which Packers scheme are we going to have to deal with? No huddle uptempo? Power ball control? Multiple fronts/personnel mismatches?

To that end, my concern isn't about doing it more overall. It's about maintaining or improving the level of efficiency and execution we've seen develop over the past couple seasons because it's arguable that it's an important reason we rank so highly on offense. Hopefully Richard Rodgers' development and improved production out of that 4th WR spot can be fuel for that improvement...

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm with you, Mondio. It's the usual off-season speculation that kind of takes on a life of its own after a while. Off season drives me nuts -- sheesh, I can't even listen to Sports Talk during the off-season. All you really get from them is "churning" -- an effort to push up drive-time numbers or link clicks.

Uhmmmm Manning ran the no huddle and called alot of his own plays, or rather spent most of his time at the Los with the biggest green light to audable out, in Indy. Not sure why you'd be hesitant on allowing him to do it over Brady and Rodgers when he's pretty much already done it.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Uhhhhhhmmmmm....Understand that he's put up some HUGE stats... miles of passing yardage... call it what you want, but he's won one Super Bowl and hasn't made many deep runs in the playoffs. One could argue that the one Super Bowl win was probably the most balanced team he QB'd. If you think I'm saying he's a stat who're... well... that is fine ... younger fans love arena football... I understand that.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Rodgers is for sure smart enough to make adjustments on the line of scrimmage based on the personnel on the field. There are other things factoring into play calling though as making substitutions, game situation and clock management a QB can't take care of.

Yep .... I was posting with a tablet....I get sick of thumbing and cut 'er short. You're correct.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uhhhhhhmmmmm....Understand that he's put up some HUGE stats... miles of passing yardage... call it what you want, but he's won one Super Bowl and hasn't made many deep runs in the playoffs. One could argue that the one Super Bowl win was probably the most balanced team he QB'd. If you think I'm saying he's a stat who're... well... that is fine ... younger fans love arena football... I understand that.

Did you just try and refer to me as a younger fan??? Lol. Been a while on that. But continue on

I never said you were implying he was a stat *****. Only that he's already called his own plays and ran an extremely successful offense doing it.

But yeah Peyton freaking Manning, a man who for years has been regarded as having one of the highest football IQ'S of possibly all time and has already captained very successful offenses on his way to winning multiple MVPS and a SB should be the QB that you'd be hesitant to give the play calling reigns too.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Yeah, what ever. You're entitled to your opinion on Manning. I do not dispute that he's probably the most prolific "arm" in the history of the NFL. At least in today's pass happy, offense oriented NFL. He was also a fantastic guest host on SNL. OK?

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has the option to change to a pass or a run based on his presnaps reads.

It's impossible for the QB to take care of substitutions or select a play out of the entire playbook on the field though.

I think a lot of fans have a wrong idea about how the no-huddle offense works as well. Typically most plays are scripted in advance with Rodgers having a chance to audible to a different play based on the defensive scheme. He doesn't select the plays on his own though.
Agree. Suggesting that Rodgers "calls the game" is naive. As you point out he can't make substitutions, just change the called play from the line. I'm surprised how often I see this suggestion. It's just not realistic.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree. Suggesting that Rodgers "calls the game" is naive. As you point out he can't make substitutions, just change the called play fr the line. I'm surprised how often I see this suggestion. It's just not realistic.
the basis of my argument is that we have big wrs who block. we have wrs who can run. we have rbs that can catch. and a young bruiser te who can go up and get it.

if you let rodgers loose to attack how he sees fit. with 5 diverse guys running play after play without substitutions...advantage offense. huge advantage actually. wear them out. not allow them to substitute to stop run on run downs, and pass on pass downs. they get stuck with pass personel, our power run will

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
continue.(phone messed up)... kill them. and visa versa. no substitutions or calling in plays. leaves time to tell rodgers about weaknesses to look for.

our coach, mvp qb have been together a decade. out skill players are diverse., and great. our roster could pull it off.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we cant change players then the defense cnt either. Our guys are more diverse and able to run and pass both effectively with the same guys.
That's right. But Rodgers calling an audible is different than scripting out 3 or 4 plays much less calling the entire game, which seems to be the suggestion in this thread.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has the option to change to a pass or a run based on his presnaps reads.

It's impossible for the QB to take care of substitutions or select a play out of the entire playbook on the field though.

I think a lot of fans have a wrong idea about how the no-huddle offense works as well. Typically most plays are scripted in advance with Rodgers having a chance to audible to a different play based on the defensive scheme. He doesn't select the plays on his own though.
This is the most insightful post on this thread.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Since the Packers rarely do a hurry up no huddle 2-min offense unless needed, how many of the plays are actually sent in through the headset while the team is at the LOS. MM had until 15 sec on the clock to call a play based on the defensive alignment for Aaron. If nothing else the defensive alignment could be called in to him and he calls the play based on that.

D

Deleted member 6794

the basis of my argument is that we have big wrs who block. we have wrs who can run. we have rbs that can catch. and a young bruiser te who can go up and get it.

if you let rodgers loose to attack how he sees fit. with 5 diverse guys running play after play without substitutions...advantage offense. huge advantage actually. wear them out. not allow them to substitute to stop run on run downs, and pass on pass downs. they get stuck with pass personel, our power run will

The no-huddle takes care of not allowing the defense to substitute but Rodgers won't selects the plays the offense is running.

Here's a link to a story in which Rodgers admits it's impossible for a QB to call an entire game, mentioning even Peyton Manning has never done it (that hopefully should put a rest to suggestions like that):

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/p...ers-peyton-manning-doesnt-and-neither-will-he

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Since the Packers rarely do a hurry up no huddle 2-min offense unless needed, how many of the plays are actually sent in through the headset while the team is at the LOS. MM had until 15 sec on the clock to call a play based on the defensive alignment for Aaron. If nothing else the defensive alignment could be called in to him and he calls the play based on that.
It’s my understanding that most – nearly all - plays are sent through the headset to Rodgers, as well as an alternate play (or plays). He then has the ability to audible at the LOS to a different play depending upon what he sees from the D, pre-snap. The play caller takes a lot of things into consideration, including the defensive personnel, but he can’t know the defensive alignment since Ds often change it seconds before the snap and try to disguise it until after the snap.

I’m not sure what captainWIMM meant by “scripted” but I don’t think McCarthy scripts any plays anymore, not even the first 15 of the game. Of course he, Clements, Bennett and with input from Rodgers select a certain number of plays from the playbook to be used in each game depending upon the opponent.

D

Deleted member 6794

It’s my understanding that most – nearly all - plays are sent through the headset to Rodgers, as well as an alternate play (or plays). He then has the ability to audible at the LOS to a different play depending upon what he sees from the D, pre-snap. The play caller takes a lot of things into consideration, including the defensive personnel, but he can’t know the defensive alignment since Ds often change it seconds before the snap and try to disguise it until after the snap.

I’m not sure what captainWIMM meant by “scripted” but I don’t think McCarthy scripts any plays anymore, not even the first 15 of the game. Of course he, Clements, Bennett and with input from Rodgers select a certain number of plays from the playbook to be used in each game depending upon the opponent.

The article I linked to above explains pretty accurate what I tried to say:

Those pre-snap possibilities almost always have been rehearsed. Every scenario -- from first-and-10 to third-and-inches and everything in between -- has been planned in meetings and practiced during the week.

While McCarthy doesn't script any plays anymore (not sure he has ever done it) Rodgers mostly has an idea about what call to expect depending on game situation and defensive scheme because the coaching staff and the QB set up a detailled game plan the week before the game.

I used scripted for a lack of a better term.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeaaaaaaa! i already read it.:) im not going to argue with #12. he is my hero. i still think we could do it. but it would break down so many structured parts of the game. even if we suceeded, it would hurt the game of football.

Members online

No members online now.