Rodgers rises above the Favre legacy

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers camp report: Patient Rodgers rises above Favre legacy - NFL - CBSSports.com Football

GREEN BAY -- Aaron Rodgers sits at his locker and is told the name "Brett Favre" will only be mentioned a few times, per presidential decree. Rodgers smiles and, as always when it comes to the Brettster, he is patient.

In fact, that word describes Rodgers well. He patiently sat behind Favre for years before getting his chance. Never complaining or demanding a trade, which makes him rare in today's sports world. He patiently waited for His Brettness to retire and unretire. Several times.

When Favre went through the summer 2008 drama that eventually ended with him first playing in New York and then Minnesota last season, Rodgers patiently sat through Favre-related questions as the Favre soap opera officially traversed into All My Children overdrive. How is this affecting you? Is Favre being selfish? Don't Favre's actions make you mad?

Rodgers didn't do what many athletes would in those moments and tell the world to shut the hell up. Or lash out at Favre. Or throw something. Or punch someone. Instead, he patiently answered and answered and answered some more. When Packers fans questioned if Rodgers was ready once Favre was gone, Rodgers didn't take offense. He took snaps and kept quiet.

And trust this: The rest of the league noticed. From NFL locker rooms to the league offices in New York there was a great deal of admiration for how well Rodgers handled the Favre craziness. There still is.

When Favre unretired again this week, Rodgers patiently waited for the Favre questions he knew would come and patiently answered them. And now, yet again, he is being asked about Favre. And now, yet again, he answers free of attitude or bitterness.

"It was a tough time, I'll say that," Rodgers explained. "I wasn't going to bash Brett publicly because that's not me, but I wasn't happy with some of the things going on. That's all I'll say on that.

"I wasn't going to change who I was. I didn't want to step out of character no matter how frustrated or angry I got. I just stuck to football and by doing that it allowed me to keep my composure. But I'm not saying it was easy."

It was that philosophy -- along with his talent -- which allowed Packers fans to slowly move beyond Favre and fully embrace Rodgers.

Now, many other words are being used to describe Rodgers: leader, uber-talented, and the next future star. Last year he became the first quarterback in league history to throw for more than 4,000 yards in each of his first two seasons as a starter. There's a good chance he'll put up similar numbers this season.

Whether the Packers made the right decision to cut ties with Favre is something that's still debated. Favre did beat his old team twice last season and he almost led the Vikings to the Super Bowl.

What's inarguable is that the Packers have a player who has evolved into the leader of the next generation of young quarterbacking talents. His mechanics, accuracy and ability to throw on the run put Rodgers ahead of most throwers in football not named Manning, Brady or Brees.

The evolution of Rodgers from a more quiet young kid unwittingly thrust into Favre-a-palooza to the confident leader he is now remains one of the least discussed but most important stories in the NFL.

The 2010 Rodgers describes the 2008 Rodgers this way: "Leadership isn't forced and when I became the quarterback in 2008 I felt like I wasn't one of the leaders of this team yet. I kept quiet in meetings. I didn't really speak to the team much even though I was the quarterback. I wasn't going to force it.

"In 2009 things changed. I proved myself, so I became more of an influence in the locker room. Coaches started asking me for my opinion and so did players. I started speaking up more. I'm a leader on the team now but it took two solid years."

"He's really earned it," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. "I think what really helped him was guys saw how poised he was during all the Favre stuff and their respect for him grew tenfold. Then when he got on the field he played his butt off. That didn't hurt."

Now, surrounded by weapons on offense, a better offensive line, and helped by a defense that should be much improved over last season, the Packers are a definite Super Bowl contender.

The Favre questions will still be there especially if the unlikely happens and Favre reaches the Super Bowl. But a more mature and confident Rodgers will be ready for them. Right now he seems ready for anything.

"I don't think I can be surprised by anything at this point in my career," he said.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I am glad we have Rodgers after Favre, and I do love how he kept to himself and said we will get better. The only thing now is to get himself and the team a super bowl ring, and have as many as the team can to munster to get written down in Packers history, not as the man after Favre, but the QB that the Packers dropped Favre to win.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rogers is such a class act. I used to have that opinion of The Interceptor until he became bigger than the team or the game. I'm hoping Rogers will lead us to another few Championships during his career, replacing his predecessor as the greatest of all Packer QBs behind the great Bart Starr. Or maybe he'll win 6, firmly establishing himself as the greatest.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Aaron also is much better spoken than Farve. That is one thing I noticed about him. He doesn't throw around 100 year old sport cliches.

Hope Aaron gets a ring, and driver. That would be awesome.

It would have to sting farve if Aaron someday had more SB wins than he did. surpassing Starr will be near to impossible in the days of free agency. Plus, we might not even have a season in 2011.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's inarguable is that the Packers have a player who has evolved into the leader of the next generation of young quarterbacking talents. His mechanics, accuracy and ability to throw on the run put Rodgers ahead of most throwers in football not named Manning, Brady or Brees.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They left out the part where Aaron Rodgers is also an awesome rusher. Getting first downs and even scoring TDs while holding and running with the ball.

If it had been him instead of Fail against the Saints, you know that Aaron would have run instead of threw.
Or he certainly wouldn't have thrown across his body.

That's the major diff btween Burnt Fail and A-Rod. Burnt is stupid and Aaron isn't.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I love Aaron Rodgers.

Not in a ****** way, in a he is ****ing awesome way.

I hope he's ready to be mega-famous, because I really think that's in the cards for him soon.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I like what Donald Driver said about him last night. He basically said Aaron was a California boy and they have Hollywood all around them, so he'll handle all the attention well. He's used to it.