Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Dude thats what happens when you do a simple restructure. Base to Signing bonus. Base is not prorated Signing bonus is thats how you free up space on the current years cap...

Are you fcking with me
How do you think they were able to push it to the following year? Had they paid it all out in March, it would have counted on the cap THAT year. He still got all the contractual money, in a way that the contract allowed for them to pay it. Did he like it? Obviously not, but it helped the Packers free $8M in cap space to try and improve the team.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude thats what happens when you do a simple restructure. Base to Signing bonus. Base is not prorated Signing bonus is thats how you free up space on the current years cap...

Are you fcking with me
The way Z's contract was written gave GB the power to change the way his bonus was paid out to aid the cap without Z's permission. ThePackers chose to restructure to help the cap. The restructure also allowed GB to pay out that bonus money per game, which is what they chose to do. Z wanted a lump payout when restructured but his agent didn't write (or modify) the contract that way. Blame your dumb @ss agent.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but they still paid 10M of it in a lump payment. 10M and another 4-5 over the course of the year. and it's over 1 season. Not like taking a lottery annuity over 30 years or something.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do you think they were able to push it to the following year? Had they paid it all out in March, it would have counted on the cap THAT year. He still got all the contractual money, in a way that the contract allowed for them to pay it. Did he like it? Obviously not, but it helped the Packers free $8M in cap space to try and improve the team.

No smh...you can't be serious

Thats not how it works dude...you have a complete misunderstanding or hopefully miscommunication

So for example. Z had a base of 17.165 million. They turn 16 million of that to signing bonus. Leaving the vet min base of 1.165 million. To be paid out as weekly "game" checks. They can they prorate that signing bonus over the remainder of the contract lets call it 2 years. So they count 8 of the 16 against the current years cap and 8 of the 16 million against the following years cap. Thus saving 8 million against the current years cap.

It doesn't matter when they "paid" the money. Z just expected it all at once when the Packers realized the cap savings. Instead the packers through some contract bs used their right to still pay the bonus money out in increments

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Instead the packers through some contract bs used their right to still pay the bonus money out in increments
What contract bs? The Packers followed the wording in the contract that Z signed. They had the ability to restructure for cap purposes without his consent per the contract. They also had the right to payout the bonus $ on a per game basis per the contract that Z signed. Don't like the terms, don't sign the contract.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is purely my gut opinion. But I think as long as The Jets are able to keep their #13? ..I think they will stay in this trade and not let Rodgers walk. They know that two 2nd Rounders is not too much for Aaron Rodgers. They might not want to give up big capital next season unless Rodgers plays, which is fine. If they do both 2nds now? I’d go easy on that future stuff in the mold of we get a 2025, Day 3 selection if he plays in at least 2 seasons for NY

I think they’re already offering #42 overall. I just don’t think they’ll walk Rodgers over an extra #43 overall selection (if we keep the future stuff minimal). If he walks after 1 year I’d kick NY a 2025, 6th rounder as an olive branch to get this thing behind us.
I was thinking a bit of why do we not get an established player from the Jets in this trade as well? They have a talented defense and they just got Lazard in free agency. After all this is Aaron Rodgers not Jim McMahon. Gute cannot just ride on a 7 year rebuild. Look how long the Jets have been a loser since the end of the Rex days. Packer fans will not tolerate an eon of losing football like we did in the 70s and 80s.

D

Deleted member 6794

Haha thats cool, you got a little Mark Murphy in you hey

Its not a signing bonus if you dont pay it out in a lump sum. Its like the Lottery saying you can take the annuity or the lump sum but even if you take the lump sum were gonna pay it out yearly or whatever it is

If they wanted to pay out in that way, he should have gotten more money not the same amount. And you do realize that getting all that money at once is more valuable than getting it over time, right? Thats why you get less when you take the lump sum and more when you take the annuity

I'm sorry but I don't feel bad for a player being paid $10+ million even if he gets that money in weekly shares. I agree that shouldn't be considered a signing bonus though.

On the Packers side and as much as this trade has had a negative light shed on it (because we live in a ME NOW world), it’s really a fantastic situation. GB gets to transition to their pick at QB.

On NY side. How many times does a team even get to trade for a player of Rodgers caliber? We could bring up names like Stafford or Wilson, but we can easily argue those a more at best “near elite” QB’s. The only trades in recent history I can think of close to Rodgers’ stature are Tom Brady in 2020 and maybe Peyton Manning in 2012. This level of opportunity only arguably happens about once or twice each decade.

The fact that you realize that a talent like Rodgers only becomes available via trade every once in a while should tell you the Packers don't find themselves in a fantastic situation.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking a bit of why do we not get an established player from the Jets in this trade as well? They have a talented defense and they just got Lazard in free agency. After all this is Aaron Rodgers not Jim McMahon.
I think WR Corey Davis will factor into this trade, somehow. The Jets don't really need him & save over $10Mil on the cap if he's gone. With a contract extension could hit GB's cap less hard in '23. He'd be a veteran presence and could produce as a #2 if they can keep him on the field for 80% of the games. His production fell-off in NY but had garbage offense & QB throwing the ball so I think his 2 years there were an anomaly.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think WR Corey Davis will factor into this trade, somehow. The Jets don't really need him & save over $10Mil on the cap if he's gone. With a contract extension could hit GB's cap less hard in '23. He'd be a veteran presence and could produce as a #2 if they can keep him on the field for 80% of the games. His production fell-off in NY but had garbage offense & QB throwing the ball so I think his 2 years there were an anomaly.
I'm kind of on the fence with acquiring Davis in the trade. Yes, veteran guy, that has underperformed as the 5th pick in the 2017 draft, but it wouldn't be like he would be coming to a team with a proven QB. I don't know a lot about him, but he has only played in 19 games the past 2 seasons. Muscle core injury in 2021, but what happened last year? On the plus side, I think Watson and Doubs would still get plenty of snaps and opportunities. Davis could potentially blossom in a new city and system. So if he would take a pay cut on a new 2-3 year deal, might be worth a shot. Final question would be, does he want to play in GB?

I know this, the Jets have no reason to cut/trade him just yet. They only have a dead cap hit of $666K on him, so no reason to dump him, until the final cutdowns. Until that time, they may find a use for him or get a late round pick for him.

Reaction score
The fact that you realize that a talent like Rodgers only becomes available via trade every once in a while should tell you the Packers don't find themselves in a fantastic situation.
The Flower fades and the Grass withers. As Jennings once said, the Packers methodology is to not be stuck with a Player when the drop off occurs.
My personal guess is that Aarons Shenanigan’s are livable at 2nd team All-Pro play. They can go out and get plenty of QB’s who can go 26/12 TD/INT and 3,800 passing and not have their heart in it and cause internal friction. They certainly don’t need to pay $50m for that kind of non committal player with an attitude.

Also as with any relationship Sometimes a change for a player is just what the Dr. Ordered. Sometimes a new set of problems is better than an old set. Theres something about rolling with change that can be healthy. In addition Brian ultimately doesn’t want to be the next Barry Switzer riding on the success of Jimmy Johnson. He’s tried that and it’s not working. These FO types want to try their own hand and I respect that.

I dint know about you. Personally, I’ve had enough of the Aaron Rodgers amusement Ride going around in the same direction. It was fun for awhile. I want to go get cotton candy and go try the Zipper and throw up

Last edited:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What contract bs? The Packers followed the wording in the contract that Z signed. They had the ability to restructure for cap purposes without his consent per the contract. They also had the right to payout the bonus $ on a per game basis per the contract that Z signed. Don't like the terms, don't sign the contract.

Ive already said that...what Ive said on top of that is...paying it out on a per game basis didn't benefit them at all. And it showed that they were at best oblivious. To be surprised that a player would find it bs to realize the cap savings of converting base to bonus and then not paying it out at that time. Like I said I get it was in the contract. Its just the kind of thing that makes other players weary of dealing wirh you in the future

Its the well they did him like that I know they'd do me like that. And say whatever you will about Rodgers. But he's one of the most legendary players in the teams history and he said as much. Its not a good look

Reaction score
Ive already said that...what Ive said on top of that is...paying it out on a per game basis didn't benefit them at all. And it showed that they were at best oblivious. To be surprised that a player would find it bs to realize the cap savings of converting base to bonus and then not paying it out at that time. Like I said I get it was in the contract. Its just the kind of thing that makes other players weary of dealing wirh you in the future

Its the well they did him like that I know they'd do me like that. And say whatever you will about Rodgers. But he's one of the most legendary players in the teams history and he said as much. Its not a good look
Are you saying ZaDarius should be mad because of that? They restructured him in March of 2021 to free up $7.4mil in cap space. That deal would’ve given him essentially $5m now and $10m across the length of the season. Then in July to appease him, the Packers restructured him again to give him that $10mil inside 10 days!! The other <$5mil prorated across several months of the season. Are you seriously telling us he can’t live on $10mil now plus $294K per week across a 4 month season?? Which btw he didn’t even play 1 FULL game!!!

He was mad because once they pushed cap into the 2022 season he would have a $28m cap hit with 50% of it available for Cap savings. He would either have to restructure or he’d be gone. He didn’t even play a full regular season game that year how could he be mad about collecting 10mil in an immediate lump sum and an additional$5mil over 17 weeks?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

My personal guess is that Aarons Shenanigan’s are livable at 2nd team All-Pro play. They can go out and get plenty of QB’s who can go 26/12 TD/INT and 3,800 passing and not have their heart in it and cause internal friction. They certainly don’t need to pay $50m for that kind of non committal player with an attitude.

I highly doubt there are plenty (if any) quarterbacks available who could put up similar numbers with that supporting cast while playing with a broken thumb.

Once again, the Packers aren't moving on because Rodgers regressed or they aren't able to deal with his personality anymore but because of the way his contract is structured.

In addition Brian ultimately doesn’t want to be the next Barry Switzer riding on the success of Jimmy Johnson. He’s tried that and it’s not working. These FO types want to try their own hand and I respect that.

I agree Brian is taking that approach. In my opinion that was the main reason for him selecting Love in the first round in the 2020 draft. It wasn't a smart way to handle business in my opinion though.

I dint know about you. Personally, I’ve had enough of the Aaron Rodgers amusement Ride going around in the same direction. It was fun for awhile. I want to go get cotton candy and go try the Zipper and throw up

I would have liked to keep Rodgers for as long as he plays in the league. It's entirely possible the Packers won't feature another HOFer at quarterback for a long, long time.

Members online

Latest posts