Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

D

Deleted member 6794

Nor did he suggest that Rodgers didn't say it.

Come on, Poker. It's a pretty lame attempt at trying to support your claim using someone else didn't say anything contrary as prove for it.

If Rodgers goes to a new team he's at least playing out his contract...and really who knows, I could very well see him signing another depending on how things go.

I highly doubt Rodgers plays for another four years. In no way do I believe he will sign another contract after the 2026 season.

And as for Love, people still think there is a chance the Packers dont exercise his 5th year option? It would be bad buisness not to, no matter what you end up doing with him. It makes him more attractive in a trade scenario.

Actually, the Packers exercising the fifth year option on a completely unknown quarterback significantly reduces his trade value.

I don't think it is just because they are necessarily afraid of facing a player that is traded, but also more of not wanting to possibly make a team better, that they may be competing against for a playoff spot. Doubly so in your own division.

If the Packers are afraid Rodgers makes an opponent that much better it would be smart to hold on to him.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Packers Only Willing to Trade Rodgers to AFC team"

Nothing like cutting your market size in half before you even start negotiating.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Come on, Poker. It's a pretty lame attempt at trying to support your claim using someone else didn't say anything contrary as prove for it.
Well if everyone in the forum could only talk about the exact things that players and coaches say, this place would get boring pretty fast.

So lets completely negate what Gute and media people have said or didn't say, about the Packers expectations of Rodgers being a Packer beyond a year, after the new deal was signed. Let's talk about the facts that you have gathered, leading you to the conclusion that both sides knew it was a year to year deal for Rodgers. Include in that conversation, why all the guaranteed money that the Packers gave him was upfront, as well as all the terms (when, what happens if, etc.) surrounding this decision process that Rodgers either worked into the contract or was implied.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Nothing like cutting your market size in half before you even start negotiating.

If you're an NFC team however calling...your offer no doubt has a touch more icing on it if you will though I bet.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I'd be fine seeing him go to an NFC Team, especially if it improved us more than them. Take the best deal offered, it isn't like an AFC team can't turn around and trade him to an NFC team, just like we saw with Favre.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"IF" they do trade Rodgers, I want it to be to a team that "IF" we get a first round pick, it's in the top 10.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"IF" they do trade Rodgers, I want it to be to a team that "IF" we get a first round pick, it's in the top 10.
I said yesterday I didn't see them as a particularly likely option but that's where Indy could make a strong offer at #4 overall... I don't know if Rodgers would want that move though. Part of me thinks they are a long way off from competing but they have a great RB, a decent set of wideouts, and some solid pieces on defense...and a division that is generally pretty open. Could be a possibility still.

Otherwise...assuming it's true that they want to keep him out of the NFC...
2. Houston - I don't see any way Rodgers would want that deal as they are a very long way away from being competitive
4. Indy - see above
7. Raiders - another decent possibility, move back out closer to the west coast and link back up with Davante. Some other good pieces but plays in a tough division

And then just outside that you have Tennessee at 11, Jets at 13, and New England at 14...

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don’t let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya. Wish we had moved on from him 2 years ago. On another note exactly what is the impact of the $60M option? I think those envisioning 2 firsts and 2 seconds are optimistic by at least 50%

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the Jets 2023 and 2024 1st rounders. 2023 4th round. Mims and the rookie TE.
From GB AR & 2023 5th round & 7th round compensatory picks.
IMO this is realistic.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My preference is to have him play here as long as he’s at a high level, he is, and he wants to, I believe he does.

But if his desire to still play is strong enough amd doesn’t want to retire and we can’t add enough around him to make a serious run at it, the time to get out is now. Cap hits only go up after this year and his tradeability only goes down.

He can certainly still play but is our window closed? It’s certainly not as open as it has been the past 3 years and only getting smaller.

I think it’s being discussed because they’re covering all bases.
I didn't watch that Pat McAfee podcast AR does every Tuesday yesterday but from what I can gather from reports he doesn't sound like a guy itching to leave the Packers. I guess he even said he'd restructure to ease cap pains. We shall see...

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thr 4th quarter of the losses that ended our last 3 seasons Rodgers was 10 of 24 for 83 yards zero TDs one interception. Average passer rating of 39. Would you trade significant assets for that performance in the big moments? I hope someone is willing to and we should grab it!! Thats not on one off thing, thats three consecutive whiffs by a guy some people try to hold up as a contender for GOAT (On the glass half full side thats 8.3 yards per completion LOL) Please please PLEEEEEEAAAAASSSSE NYJs!!!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don’t let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya. Wish we had moved on from him 2 years ago. On another note exactly what is the impact of the $60M option? I think those envisioning 2 firsts and 2 seconds are optimistic by at least 50%

So the structure option built in doesn't change the cost to Packers...however the reason why he is more valuable than many think is there is a clause for an acquiring team in a trade to pay him just $1.165M base salary and spread the remaining as a bonus across four years. He honestly would only cost a team $16M in 2023 and like $36M in 2024. That is extremely cap friendly in today's league.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He can certainly still play but is our window closed? It’s certainly not as open as it has been the past 3 years and only getting smaller.

I think it’s being discussed because they’re covering all bases.
Honestly, if they weren't considering all the options, they wouldn't be doing their jobs.

Now if we heard that a team was offering to back the metaphorical bank truck up to Lambeau Field to get him, then I'd be thinking more about a trade.

Reaction score
From the Jets 2023 and 2024 1st rounders. 2023 4th round. Mims and the rookie TE.
From GB AR & 2023 5th round & 7th round compensatory picks.
IMO this is realistic.
That’s similar to what I’m surmising. I would easily take a similar approach but a 2nd rounder this year instead of a first rounder next year to the Jets for Rodgers plus those 5th-7th round comps)
Then I’d perfect a trade similar to the Packers in 2018 using our #13 and slide back into that later Day 1 area then bounce back up to #17 area using 1-3rd Rounder this year.

That approach also gives us TWO day 1 picks in 2024, just like we had in 2019. Yet also gives us 2-1st Rounders this April.
If Jordan regressed and we finish
6-11 etc.. and feel like moving on from him we’d have a top 10 selection plus a second 1st Rounder for firepower to get our QB.

It still leaves us picking similar to this
#17 (using our #27, #74, #113)

That’s putting some legit weapons around Love and still T’d up for 2024 draft contingencies.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Well if everyone in the forum could only talk about the exact things that players and coaches say, this place would get boring pretty fast.

What's the point of mentioning Rodgers promised the Packers to play another two or three seasons with them without any evidence to back up that statement though? As posted above Gutekunst not saying he didn't is an extremely weak argument to support that claim.

So lets completely negate what Gute and media people have said or didn't say, about the Packers expectations of Rodgers being a Packer beyond a year, after the new deal was signed. Let's talk about the facts that you have gathered, leading you to the conclusion that both sides knew it was a year to year deal for Rodgers. Include in that conversation, why all the guaranteed money that the Packers gave him was upfront, as well as all the terms (when, what happens if, etc.) surrounding this decision process that Rodgers either worked into the contract or was implied.

Actually the Packers didn't guarantee Rodgers all the money upfront, which actually allows them to trade him this offseason without a huge negative impact on the cap. The same is true if he retires before the start of next season. That suggests the Packers were well aware that there's a decent chance he won't be around for the 2023 season.

On another note exactly what is the impact of the $60M option?

If exercised, the option bonus of $58.3 million will be prorated over four seasons resulting in a cap hit of $14.575 million in each season as long as Rodgers plays for the team paying him that money. If he is traded or retires at some point after it being exercised the remaining prorated portion of it will result in dead money counting against the cap, either all of it the following season or spread out over the next two seasons.

I didn't watch that Pat McAfee podcast AR does every Tuesday yesterday but from what I can gather from reports he doesn't sound like a guy itching to leave the Packers. I guess he even said he'd restructure to ease cap pains. We shall see...

As I have mentioned repeatedly, Rodgers forgoing guaranteed money is the only way to restructure his deal.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it is just because they are necessarily afraid of facing a player that is traded, but also more of not wanting to possibly make a team better, that they may be competing against for a playoff spot. Doubly so in your own division.

The funny thing about either "fear", if you get the much better end of the trade deal, maybe it is better to trade within your conference or division, if in the long run it weakens them. Extreme example, if the Vikings offered 5 first round picks and Jefferson for Rodgers, the Packers would be crazy to not to make the deal

This already happened once before, the Vikings offered 3 firsts for Favre and the Packers instead took a 2nd from the Jets. Going so far as to add a poison pill in the trade preventing the Jets from turning around and trading him to the Vikings

The Packers were idoits not to take the Vikings offer. Did Favre make the Vikings better, yeah absolutely. Should the Packers have been so afraid of naking the Vikings a better team, absolutely not
I highly doubt Rodgers plays for another four years. In no way do I believe he will sign another contract after the 2026 season.

Actually, the Packers exercising the fifth year option on a completely unknown quarterback significantly reduces his trade value.

Rodgers will sign a new contract after the 2024 season if he decides to continue playing at that time.

2025/2026 are in his current deal for cap purposes. Essentially just so they could spread prorated bonus money out over the maximum 5 years allowed by the NFL.

Jordan Love is not a completely unknown qb. The Packers having watched him practice have the most info on him but other teams have their opinion of him going into the draft and their opinion of him now.

Exercising the option prior to a trade would allow the team trading for Love to control him at a reasonable number for 2 seasons. 20 million for a starting qb who might be the one is cheap. Obviously any team willing to trade for Love would be of the opinion that he has a very good chance of being a starter in the league for a decade plus. And if he turns out they get 2 seasons before they have to pay him 40 m plus per

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Exercising the option prior to a trade would allow the team trading for Love to control him at a reasonable number for 2 seasons. 20 million for a starting qb who might be the one is cheap. Obviously any team willing to trade for Love would be of the opinion that he has a very good chance of being a starter in the league for a decade plus. And if he turns out they get 2 seasons before they have to pay him 40 m plus per
When did Love become a starting QB? ;)

That would be a big leap for a team to assume he is a capable starter, including the Packers, especially since exercising the 5th year is a guaranteed $20M, as well as an immediate cap hit of $20M, unless the restructure before it kicks in.

The only way the Packers will exercise that 5th year option is if they are pretty certain that Love IS a starting QB with more talent than just the back QB that has thrown only 83 passes in 3 years. Add to that, they would need a sense that Rodgers is ready to move on this or next year. Otherwise, Love is still a backup and in 2024, one that is being paid $20M to carry a clip board.

If another team wants Love via a trade, the Packers don't have to exercise the option, his new team can. Matter of fact, exercising the 5th year option on Love before a trade would be silly. A trade partner might view it as overcompensation, that they are now stuck with, for an unproven QB. Thus, the Packers probably wouldn't get squat for him in a trade. Think about this, the Giants passed on the 5th year option for quarterback Daniel Jones ($22.4 M).

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If his goal is for the Packers to win the Super Bowl, then even if Jordan Love can't win the Super Bowl, that's still the same result that Rodgers has given us for the past 12 seasons.
Valid point, at least for all those that consider not winning it all as failure. ;)

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This already happened once before, the Vikings offered 3 firsts for Favre and the Packers instead took a 2nd from the Jets. Going so far as to add a poison pill in the trade preventing the Jets from turning around and trading him to the Vikings
At the time, I didn't think they should trade him within the division. I'm not sure I remember the three firsts for him though. Certainly in hindsight at least, it should have been a no brainer to take that offer. Especially since he ended up playing there anyway.

Of course it is possible that the Vikings might have ended up winning the Super Bowl had that happened. Would we ever have forgiven ourselves?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Supposedly Tampa thought they were getting Favre & their brass went out to dinner the night before to celebrate. Next day Jets deal went thru leaving Tampa bewildered. They sucked in '08 without a star QB & Gruden got fired.

I wondered if the Hackett hire had something to do with potential AR trade...but Hackett & Saleh have coached together before & are friends so makes football sense.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Supposedly Tampa thought they were getting Favre & their brass went out to dinner the night before to celebrate. Next day Jets deal went thru leaving Tampa bewildered. They sucked in '08 without a star QB & Gruden got fired.

I wondered if the Hackett hire had something to do with potential AR trade...but Hackett & Saleh have coached together before & are friends so makes football sense.
Interesting points. Sometimes reading tea leaves really works. Maybe this is one of those times? If nothing else, it does add another possible clue as to where the whole Rodgers issue is going. We may "think" we know where he wants to go, but then again, who really knows? Maybe he would be interested in a year or two of the NYC scene.

Members online

Latest posts